RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pregnant bitch swimming in cold water ?

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DropinBack 
#1 ·
At what temp does the RTF population consider to cold to swim a pregnant bitch? She is due in roughly 3 weeks and soon I will stop field work for her and the pups safety,but I'd like to swim her for exercise until the last week. Thoughts ?

#2 ·
Bitches can loose their mucus plug and get really "loosey goosey" rather early, I for one would rather let momma relax and sleep, conserve energy then risk an infection that could cause loss of pups or the bitch. I generally let my momma's to be self regulate their exercise the last three weeks, they are usually rather uncomfortably big and their joints are getting looser due to hormones so they just aren't that thrilled to be out running. Most will get all the exercise they need by trying to find a nesting spot, often digging several dens under the deck or other hard to reach spot, or they lie in a sunny out of the wind spot and nap. I remember quite well being pregnant with both of my kids, and simply walking in the store pushing a cart of groceries at 8 months along was a chore that I did NOT enjoy.

#3 ·
Just take her for walks in the field daily maybe some fun bumpers. She is in the home stretch now better to be on the safe side.

#5 ·
she has telling you that she is ready to be pulled from fieldwork if she is less than thrilled. Yes, it is time to relax.

#6 ·
Your female started out pre-pregnancy at what: 60lbs? Add the weight of avg sized pups x avg. number of pups + embolic fluid + extra blood + placental weight and she will have gained over 12 lbs in a very short amount of time. May not seem like a lot until you figure that she just put on an extra 1/5 her total body weight. Weigh yourself and add that amount and then picture yourself doing ANY exercise!!! Plus, stretching the skin hurts!!!! I could only wear mens large t-shirts and boxer shorts when I was pregnant with my daughter. I went from hardly even showing at 6 months and weighing 120lbs to weighing 155lb just 2 1/2 months later. I still only looked about 7 months pregnant but Toni weighed just over 7lbs and was 19 1/2 inches long when I had her. My skin literally felt on fire, and I literally expected to split open like the guy in Alien. You guys have it Soooooo good!! Of course this is why I feel absolutely no pity for guys with bladder stones :)

#7 ·
Mine have always wanted to continue to work. I stop running them when they start to look really big in comparison to their normal look. Generally, this has been about 2 weeks prior to whelping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.