RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Health certificates for traveling dogs?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Jerry and Freya 
#1 ·
I just got an email from a club member that described a bad problem about health certificates being required at a Rhode Island Cat Show last week. Inspectors and officers showed up at the show and started to ask a lot of questions of the exhibitors and demanded personal information about exhibitors. Several left the show. The email also included a state by state list of health documents required for dogs that are traveling to other states.

I almost never travel with those documents. Also, these requirements seem to me to be a bit much for us dog people. I go to New Hampshire, travel through Connecticut, Massachusetts, and sometimes Rhode Island. Now it looks like I should be carrying documents that are required by each state and I might add not all states have the same requirements.

I never even thought about this.

What is your experience with this regarding Hunt Tests, Field Trials, and out of state training sessions? I feel overwhelmed and harassed.

#2 ·
Before our first cross country trip with the dogs, I made copies of their vaccination records and put those along with the rabies tags in an envelope and put that in the first aid box. Haven't taken it out in 4 years except to check for myself when next shots were due. I still think its a good idea to have the info, but was never asked for anything.

#3 ·
I've never been ask to produce health records at a test but since I camp out a lot when I do travel to tests I keep a copy in the glove box as many campgrounds that allow pets require proof of at least rabies vaccination.

#4 ·
I have a folder that goes with me to events or just camping. It has a copy of current rabies and vaccinations. I have been asked once in NJ years ago why I did not have a health certificate. I simply said I didn't know one was needed. They called my vet who faced them over a hand written note stating how long I had been going there and that my dogs were current on shots and healthy.

We were traveling through NJ not even staying there. We happen to be gassing up and airing the dogs when asked. If I recall it was an animal control person.

Never been asked again.
Pattie

#5 ·
I've scanned in all my certificates and have them on my phone, plus I can access my dog's health records via my Vet's "pet portal"....but I like having a soft copy just in case I'm where I can't get internet service.

I've never been checked, other than when some yahoo tries to report me...

#6 ·
The rabies certificate is no problem as I carry a copy with me at all times. The requirement for a health certificate is indeed problematic. To begin with, it requires a trip to the vet, a full physical exam, and it's good for only 30 days as I recall. It costs me about $30 as I recall. Further, the certificate must be filled out in a very detailed fashion. If I'm going from Montgomery to Northern Ill., the certificate needs to specify that I will be traveling through AL, TN, KY, and IL. If I will be returning with the dog, I need to also show that trip on the original or get another certificate. IOW, I'll bet that none of us really comply with the law regarding health certificates.

#7 · (Edited)
This looks more like the cumbersome requirements that I saw.
Some states require a yearly rabies shot, some states require an exam within the prior 30 days and a statement that no diseases were found, a statement that the dog is free from infectious, contagious, communicable diseases...

All of this for a day trip to let's say Connecticut for a Hunt Test?

#8 ·
The regular shots are given on a yearly basis unless you do a titer . And then you
can still get a note from your vet that all is in order. Rabies is good either with the one year or three shot. It is a good idea to carry that paper work with you.
However I dobut that anyone would stop and ask for it. Budget cuts abound. JMOP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.