RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

The least pedigree - the most wins

8K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  PennyRetrievers 
#1 ·
This one is for all of you pedigree experts out there.

Who is the dog (in recent history - say the last 15 years), who had the most success in the competitive dog world, and had the thinnest looking pedigree.

There has to be some dog out there with title-less parents and grandparents who was a tremendous star. Who was he or she?

#3 ·
I don't know about the FT game but in HT GRHRCH Buddy Ryan's Jimbo comes to mind. I saw a video recently of the owner telling his story of Jimbo. backyard bred out of dogs with no pedigree (pet dogs or maybe hunting dogs) who kept getting out in the road. He kept one because he was afraid it would get run over. He was a first time trainer I think too. Ended up as one of the most prestigious HRC dogs in history with a a grand title and over 5000 points.

#7 ·
Penny,

you will have a hard time with getting answers publicly unless the owner of said dog decides to post, specifically referencing FT titled dogs...you question is like a back handed compliment and many will not "insult" another's dog....unless they have an axe to grind.

#9 ·
I certainly didn't mean it with any sort of other intent. I can't see how it could be an insult either - if you've enjoyed success without a huge pedigree, you've done more with less, and proven yourself and your dog's abilities, beyond just letters on a piece of paper.

#8 ·
Penny,

I don't know the answer however I do think it is a legitimate question and am interested in the answer also.

So which dog came from nothing and rose to the top?

Lonnie Spann

#10 ·
Penny,

I know your intent was legitimate...it's a good question, but specifically for stud dogs, it's hard enough to title, let alone being a stud dog in a market with a lot of competition...specifically black stud dogs, your dog has to be special and not everyone will appreciate a dog who comes from what someone else might consider a weak pedigree...it's an insult to some and their hard work...hence I doubt many will publicly say anything. It's just human nature...

#11 ·
Just because a dog wasnt titled doesnt tell the whole story...

for example : Super Powder was never titled but was a son of NFC NAFC Super Chief, his record as a sire was 36 FC's, 2 NFC's , 1 NAFC (statistics compliments of Richard Halstead)

in modern day pedigrees : Esprit Out of the Woods (Tiger) was also non titled but is a proven stud dog and sired many titled dogs and continues to do so

#12 · (Edited)
FC CFC Black Panther lived a great Cinderella story.
Part of it was printed in a DU article last year.

They didn't print his Sire's name for some strange reason though.............................

#25 · (Edited)
Black Panther

Re: Orin Clark Benson Obit, Ottawa, WI. 4-15-14 7-9-05.
Two memorable black labradors Orin Benson trained were FC Black Panther A853111 3/16/44 owned by C. W. Carlson and FC Mully Gully Goo A963683
9/11/44 owned by John C. Sturtevant, Wausau, WI.
Black Panther descended from ordinary hunting stock - Blackout ****** (Duke Smithy-Trixey) ex Dakota Princess ** (Black Fox-Woodlake Queen)
** The Labrador Retriever Club 1931-1956 25th Anniversary Book lists Dakota Princess as Panther's Dam; The Retriever F.T. News states Panther's Dam as Debbie of Holly Hill.

Bill Connor
(Fifty Years to Heel and Back)

#13 ·
Years ago Lonnie & I watched a Q where the winning dog cost $200 and was bought from a local newspaper ad. I always thought it was a tremendous statement that the owner had enough faith in his dog to campaign him. Pedigree was nondescript. I can't remember the dog or the owners name but he wasn't interested in getting his $200 back. Lonnie & I both asked.

#14 ·
look up 1994 NAFC
A very nice dog. Watched her win at Sauvie Island.

#18 ·
FWIW, I like the question. The lab folks have the luxury of a decent sized gene pool but that pool is pretty darn shallow with field Goldens. If there is a dog out there that can perform at a high level and has health clearances, not to mention longevity in its pedigree, I'd like to hear about it. Yes, there are risks with an out cross but goodness knows there are risks with tight breedings, too.

#20 · (Edited)
I seem to remember discussing a golden of no special breeding who took to training and trialing very well. I think that it was owned by Jim Pickering, or maybe it was Pickering who told me about it.

I don't think a dog that has a weak background can be counted on for breeding. I worry more about the grand parents than the parents in looking for potential.

Spencer

oops I should have read all of the posts rather than just the first page.
At least my memory is still clear ........now where are my truck keys?

#22 ·
My first Lab was a accidental breeding of two Amish dogs. They were going to "cull" her because she had such a huge white blaze on her chest. She went to AKC Junior, then Senior hunter in 8 straight passes, and also manage some derby points. She would have made Master had I not had kids, a High Maintenance wife(Now ex) and bills to pay. Ran outa free money.:cry:

#23 ·
Sorry if someone else has said this or not yet...

But when it comes to breeding it is about the "get" .. you can have a Champion dog and he may produce nothing like himself. A good sire consistently produces examples of himself. They put a "stamp" on their get.

Great dogs can come from any breeding. Luck is involved.

Best example of breeding being a roll of the dice is the great horse Secretariat. None better them him. He produced very few winners. His grandchildren did better then his offspring.

In dog breeding you do not necessarily want the new phenom tearing up the field trial circuit as your Sire. You want a pup sired by his father.

#24 ·
Surprised you Golden folks haven't jumped on this one, FC/AFC Benjamin Rajah Frisbie and he sired one of the few Golden National Derby champions! Don't think Ben has any titles in three generations maybe more. Bred to his son once with my GRCA OD, A zillion years ago when I was into Goldens.

#29 ·
I'm not a biologist, but I think it's probably 100% of their genetics from their parents. Whatever they get from their grandparents had to have come through mom and dad first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.