RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Any QAA Poodles?

5K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Pam Spears 
#1 ·
Am just curious whether there are any QAA Poodles or any that even run field trials.

KM

#3 ·
As in Jeff's link...you CAN enter Poodles in all the (AKC HRC NAHRA) hunt tests, but you CAN NOT enter them in AKC field trials. I do know of a Poodle that was once used as a test dog in a licensed AKC qual., but also heard (rumor) that the sponsoring club recieved negitive comments from AKC for allowing it to happen.

#7 ·
According to web search (although I don't know how current), there 9 poodles that have earned AKC Master Hunter titles in the US and another in Canada. One of those, a white female named TEN, qualified for the AKC Master National three times and passed in '09.

Poodles weren't allowed into AKC hunt test until 1998. There was a standard poodle at the Lardy clinic that year I attended right after they were accepted to participate in AKC Hunt Tests.

The first Poodle to earn his Master Hunter title was HRCh C-Ch Bibelot's Silver Power Play UD MH WCX owned by Eileen Jaskowski, Colorado according to the Poodle club of America web site. There was a very nice poodle running Master Hunt tests on this circuit when I was running my Lab Rebel through SH/MH.

#8 ·
Rich & Angie Louter own UH HRCH MHR Southern Standards Red Creole MH WCX.

"Cooper" is the only Standard Poodle to hold HRCH, MHR, and MH titles.

#9 · (Edited)
Poodles aren't allowed in AKC hunt tests. I'm editing my error. I meant to say poodles aren't allowed in Field Trials.

I'm told that "Ten" just passed Master National again. That is at least 2 passes. Eileen's dog was the first to go to Master National. There was an attempt by some poodle owners with driven dogs to enter field trials. That hasn't been successful. I've spoken to those that ran poodles before me, and they explained how difficult it was to get into hunt tests. Since I've learned of these things second-hand, I don't want to cast dispersions without first-hand knowledge. I will generalize and say that when you have a well established bureaucracy like AKC, change happens slowly.

The only reason I'm able to run my dog, is because some people came before me, and worked hard to get acceptance for the dog. Thankfully, they are people, tough as nails, that love the breed, and know what the dog can do. They persevered, and I reap the benefit.

As more driven poodles enter these events, as more poodles perform well, and as more owners realize field work is fun, the dog will gain acceptance. At this point the dog is often thought of as a curiosity. As people see the dog successfully work, it won't be a curiosity. Regardless of the breed, a dog enjoying the work it is doing is a joy to watch.

#10 ·
Poodles aren't allowed in AKC hunt tests.

I'm told that "Ten" just passed Master National again. That is at least 2 passes. Eileen's dog was the first to go to Master National. There was an attempt by some poodle owners with driven dogs to enter field trials. That hasn't been successful. I've spoken to those that ran poodles before me, and they explained how difficult it was to get into hunt tests. Since I've learned of these things second-hand, I don't want to cast dispersions without first-hand knowledge. I will generalize and say that when you have a well established bureaucracy like AKC, change happens slowly.

The only reason I'm able to run my dog, is because some people came before me, and worked hard to get acceptance for the dog. Thankfully, they are people, tough as nails, that love the breed, and know what the dog can do. They persevered, and I reap the benefit.

As more driven poodles enter these events, as more poodles perform well, and as more owners realize field work is fun, the dog will gain acceptance. At this point the dog is often thought of as a curiosity. As people see the dog successfully work, it won't be a curiosity. Regardless of the breed, a dog enjoying the work it is doing is a joy to watch.
Actually std Poodles ARE allowed in AKC HTs (read the rules of eligibility). As Capt Jack posted, Rich & Angie Louter own, train & run Cooper who holds a MH title along with several other titles. And he trains regularly on my farm.

#13 ·
I have seen poodles at many of the hunt tests I've been too, admittedly, only 2 years' worth. Compared to the hard driving labs, the ones I've seen come across as graceful rather than powerful, and some seem tentative but usually well trained enough to get the job done. I suspect that several generations worth of selective breeding would increase drive and develop a good line of working retrievers, but you have to start *somewhere*, LOL. The Louters are off to a good start with a working poodle program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.