Should a handler just handle quickly on a diversion bird? [Archive] - RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF

: Should a handler just handle quickly on a diversion bird?

J. Marti
07-22-2020, 04:48 PM
I see the rules say a diversion bird is not a mark but a "trainability situation" and I understand it is okay to handle on a diversion bird.

Do you think it advisable to just automatically handle on a diversion bird so one's dog learns to expect to be handled to that bird?

FieldLab
07-22-2020, 06:37 PM
Diversion bird is usually thrown on the return from a mark to try and get the dog to drop the bird in his mouth and switch which is an automatic drop Is best to not handle and practice it many times to the point where the dog will just ignores it with out saying anything a judge may charge a handle if you whistle him or her in after the diversion has been thrown

MC Boulais
07-23-2020, 08:40 AM
a judge may charge a handle if you whistle him or her in after the diversion has been thrown

I don't think I have ever heard of a judge doing this

paul young
07-23-2020, 09:19 AM
I don't think I have ever heard of a judge doing this

Nor have I.

To the OP's question, I would say it would be advisable to do so if the bird has drifted out of the area into which it was thrown or if the handler believes the dog did not get a good look at it as it fell. There is no penalty for handling, but the dog must handle well enough to satisfy the requirements of the level of testing it is participating in. Whistle and Cast refusals will be noted, and trainability will be scored down accordingly. -Paul