Can't come up with Diagnosis - Help
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't come up with Diagnosis - Help

Default Can't come up with Diagnosis - Help

I've got a 6.5 mo old male out of slider x fen female. About 3 weeks ago he started acting very lathargic and not like himself. Two weeks ago he started drueling uncontrollably which I thought was pain. Took him straight to the vet,

Been in and out for two weeks now.

- Initially they thought it was a concussion (he smacked his head pretty good on my boat and had a healthy bump on top of his head).

- Thought parasite, they did a stool sample.

- Thought it was a partial blockage....did a barium study....turned up nothing.

-CDC (blood screen) came back normal...no raised white count or anything.

- I noticed that he started to "Hack" a little. Not like kennel cough (I've had that), but like his throat was irritated. They hypothesis he irritated his throat severly. Put him on Omeprazole (Prilosec), a nausea med, and prescription GI tract canned food.

He seems a little better, but I just don't think we've diagnosed this correctly. The vet is a good friend, he's open to anything, and is stumped himself.

I have a pigeon coop and the dogs are always trying to cleanup what the pigeons knock through the coop floor...the ground under became overrun with magets. I came home to a pile of vomit with dead magets in it in the kennel. I moved the coop and threw out cat litter over the area to get rid of them. His thought is he ate some cat litter and it's got him all screwed up.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Last edited by Loophole; 08-29-2013 at 03:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Check for Basto & tick Bourne illnesses.

What is basto?

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Terrie Tomlinson

HR Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster"
    Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Rummy, Jewels, Pepper, Chip, Wager, Windy, Harley, Cajun

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH (4-16-2006 to 9-11-2016)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

It's Blasto, short for Blastomycosis which is a very serious fungal infection. It can express itself in various ways--lung infections, open sores, lameness. Here is some info.

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/pos...and-prevention

I know three people who have had dogs infected. One dog went blind. One was lame all over and misdiagnosed for quite a while before they figured it out. She recovered without bad side effects. Another doesn't look like she is going to make it--she can't handle the antifungal medication and they can't get the Blasto in check.

Meredith

I have a dog that is going through the same thing exactly, fairly certain it's not blasto and not ticks. Vet gave him a shot of penicillin and he's on a course of Clavamox. The thing you and I have in common is piegons, I did tell my vet that he could certainly have gotten into the coop.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

did they do a chest xray? My older boy had similar (although lesser) symptoms, a chest xray revealed a mild bacterial pneumonia. Everything else was normal.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant VCD3 UDX VER RA TDX MHU SH MXP MJP MFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UH UUD NN UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I had read this a while back....scary spores from dust and dander from pigeons. http://www.petassure.com/newsletters...0article4.html
    Bonadventure's Buster ***
    Bonadventure's Bijoux
    Bonadventure's Jiggs
    www.retrieversdufour.com

www.retrieversdufour.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    I had read this a while back....scary spores from dust and dander from pigeons. http://www.petassure.com/newsletters...0article4.html
    Could be on the right track here, thanks Jay.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

have a chest x ray done tomorrow. My dog got blasto that was not diagnosed soon enough. His symptoms were as follows. Lethargic, did not want to eat and had a hack also. Do his eyes look funny or any open sores. Sores were on my dogs head by his eyes. Good luck keep us posted.