RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Holy whistle sit!!

4K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  FieldLab 
#1 ·
Bella is my first lab that I've attempted to train further than FF and CC. The last few days we've been working towards stopping on the whistle while enroute to the pile. I'm Following Fowl Dawgs and yesterday I felt she was ready. After several "normal" sends to the pile, I sent her, she charged hard off the line as usual. Just prior to half way I blasted the whistle, low and behold she slammed the brakes, spun around and locked onto me. I was so proud and excited about it, that I damn near forgot to finish by giving her the back cast. Cast her back (took the proper cast) and she returned at 100 MPH because at this point, I couldn't contain the excitement anymore and I am now whooping and hollering like a lunatic.. We roll around on the ground in excitement for awhile (which might be a no-no, but I didn't really care at that point) and ended the session with some marks. Went back out today and continued (with a little more "been there done that kinda attitude"), she's doing great. Now I know this probably isn't that big a deal for most, and that we have a long way to go, etc, but at that moment, it was AWESOME!

Just thought I'd share, posed several questions so far and have gotten some great feedback from folks on here. We are just getting started, but it sure is nice enjoying the little things along the way!!

#3 ·
Special moments are to be celebrated! It is amazing what an accomplishment with dog will do to grown ups. Enjoy!

#9 ·
In dog training there is instant gratification and instant frustration...Enjoy the gratification, it helps with the frustration.

#13 ·
It's so fun when they start to get it. Gabby is my first dog, we are at SH level now. I remember her first whistle sit and our first blind. It was fun I understand your enthusiasm.

#16 ·
Appreciate the responses, it sure is gratifying and exciting to see them start to put it together and succeed. Can get to be a grind sometimes in the early stages with all the obedience, yard work, introducing force etc. Sure made it all worth it and then some to see her succeed and be so excited about it. I am officially hooked!!! Excited for what's to come!

Kwick are we neighbors??? Fairly certain that's pretty close to reaction I had, minus the drum sticks lol

#18 ·
:BIG::BIG::BIG:

You have every reason to be proud... maybe years from now you will think back and say .. “geesh” that was “no big deal” .. but is IS A BIG DEAL. An accomplishment proving communication and patience through training and team work. You may someday think the task was a baby step along the way ... but I sincerely hope you will never forget the FEELING. Enjoy your dog! Steak for dinner???

#19 ·
I'm still smiling after reading this! Thank you! I can feel your pride and enjoyment in a job well done...keep up the good work! Aren't these dogs wonderful??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.