Best Bumpers for Lab Puppy
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Best Bumpers for Lab Puppy

Default Best Bumpers for Lab Puppy

My girl is 9 weeks old right now, nice little lab that's getting the hang of the retrieve. I've been using a plush squeaker bone for her retrieves or a tennis ball and I bought a tiny canvas puppy bumper that weighs almost nothing. She's super excitable with the bone and I was wondering what are the best bumpers for a pup? I was thinking of getting a Dokken Teal since the chukar is a bit hard for her to carry, along with the normal size canvas and plastic bumpers. Is the squeaker toy ok for right now? I haven't been worried about her bringing it back right away I just let her play with it. However how can I get her to give up the bumper? She clamps down on everything she gets in her mouth and growls and tugs. I've been putting my finger in her mouth and gently opening it while praising her and I throw the bumper again right away or give it back to her. I'm new to training so every little thing is making me scratch my head. How can I get her to release the bumpers without having to battle with her everytime or is this just a puppy thing that will fade?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

paint rollers work really well for puppy bumpers
    Piney Creek's Rolling Hills of Sorghum JH CGC TDI
    Woodstock's Very Kerry

Ditto on paint rollers. Nice soft and lightweight, especially when teething. Some say to use rolled up socks at your pup's age, but I never encourage them to put things in their mouth that might cause problems later. Chuck-it makes nice puppy size durable fabric bumpers. Kong has AirKong retrieving items made of tennis ball materials. After that I use any plastic 2" bumpers. I think the Avery bumpers are hard, but my pups don't seem to treat them differently than regular knobby bumpers of other manufacturers. I do try to avoid squeaky toys for retrieving. Not sure if there is any proof, but worried it may make them tend to chomp down as they retrieve, trying to illicit the squeaky sounds.

As far as her giving up the bumper, reel young pup in with check cord. If she won't release when you slip a finger in the side of her mouth, push in and up on the bumper. Dogs are oppositional. You pull, they pull back. If you push bumper into their mouth they usually open their mouth. No need to gag or choke her, mind you.

I keep retrieving items just for retrieving and never let puppies have access to them unless we are training, plus they are never allowed to chew on them. My puppies have a whole separate big box of play toys that bounce, squeak, and are great for chewing.
    Last edited by dogluvah; 08-28-2014 at 02:42 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

What dogluvah said.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by dogluvah View Post
    Ditto on paint rollers. Nice soft and lightweight, especially when teething. Some say to use rolled up socks at your pup's age, but I never encourage them to put things in their mouth that might cause problems later. Chuck-it makes nice puppy size durable fabric bumpers. Kong has AirKong retrieving items made of tennis ball materials. After that I use any plastic 2" bumpers. I think the Avery bumpers are hard, but my pups don't seem to treat them differently than regular knobby bumpers of other manufacturers. I do try to avoid squeaky toys for retrieving. Not sure if there is any proof, but worried it may make them tend to chomp down as they retrieve, trying to illicit the squeaky sounds.

As far as her giving up the bumper, reel young pup in with check cord. If she won't release when you slip a finger in the side of her mouth, push in and up on the bumper. Dogs are oppositional. You pull, they pull back. If you push bumper into their mouth they usually open their mouth. No need to gag or choke her, mind you.

I keep retrieving items just for retrieving and never let puppies have access to them unless we are training, plus they are never allowed to chew on them. My puppies have a whole separate big box of play toys that bounce, squeak, and are great for chewing.
    Thank you, I'll do that!

Dogluvah how would you stop them from chewing? She does have that problem, as soon as she brings the bumper she plops down and starts to chew. As soon as I try and take it away she clamps down harder.

I cut 1 inch round pieces of wood 10 inches long.
    Cover that 1 inch piece of wood of 1 inch grey isolation water pipe.
    Buy white sock @ Dolorama in package of ......
    Cover them with white sock, pull very tight.
    Ty rap for tying the sock and cut the extra sock.
    Can make many for not much $$

Pup love it, and it float so well!

Hope all is clear...!
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lobita View Post
    Dogluvah how would you stop them from chewing? She does have that problem, as soon as she brings the bumper she plops down and starts to chew. As soon as I try and take it away she clamps down harder.
    Do not give them a chance to chew on the dummies. That is for training. Have a toy basket for her squeaky toys and bones. Put training dummies away. All young pups will chew everything. You have to remove the dummy and not allow it. Let her chew on her bones and toys. They love the squeak toys. Soon your lab will know the difference and will at times want to retrieve and sometimes just wants to chew a toy. Let her know there is school and play. Of course, I have a few chewed dummies laying around, so you need to hide them. The chewing will last a year or so until all teeth are in. Elk antlers are great. They last longer.

Also, Drake makes a puppy dummy that is soft in the middle and hard on the end so pup will want to grab the center.
    http://www.drakewaterfowl.com/produc...e-puppy-bumper
    Last edited by llauck; 08-29-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    Larry Lauck
    Treasurer
    Lone Star Hunting Retriever Club
    Dallas, Texas

Field Expert
    Sporting Dog Team
    Drake Waterfowl Products, Inc.

HRCH Duchess Ellie of Highlands JH