Ruff Tough Kennel Sizing
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruff Tough Kennel Sizing

Default Ruff Tough Kennel Sizing

Ok, I've been debating and going back and forth with this for the past few days trying to make a decision on which RTK to buy. Either the intermediate or large. My BLM is around the 65-70# range. I see folks saying they use the intermediate and some using the large. The kennel will primarily be used for transporting to/from training or hunting, but will on occasion be used for extended stays from time to time. I do not want to small of a kennel, but don't want to go overboard with one either.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

My BLF is right at in the 50# mark, and I use an intermediate RTK. If I were to imagine another 15-20# on my dog, I would think that an intermediate would be too small IMO.

i echo what Matt said. i had an intermediate that I sold when my Lab hit the 70 lb. mark. For the comfort of your dog during more extended periods of travel or being crated, you will be glad you went with the large. Great crates. I would suggest adding the optional handled too, it really makes moving the crate a whole lot easier.

Cheers,
    IRISHWHISTLER
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

My largest dog is 72#'s. I have an intermediate that is primarily used for transport, but occasionally overnight housing. Personally, I think the next size up would be too large to be safe for transport and the dog is NOT uncomfortable in the smaller one for overnight. I think its more of a "human perspective" that we think bigger is better. Having said that, I would not use the intermediate for long term kennel.
    Carol Howey
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    (6/2/05 - 6/12/17) The finest animal I'll ever know.
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, SH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com/Carol/_carolBlog/

2 60 lb labs...intermediate works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    My largest dog is 72#'s. I have an intermediate that is primarily used for transport, but occasionally overnight housing. Personally, I think the next size up would be too large to be safe for transport and the dog is NOT uncomfortable in the smaller one for overnight. I think its more of a "human perspective" that we think bigger is better. Having said that, I would not use the intermediate for long term kennel.
    This is my current situation. The kennel would be used from time to time for overnight housing. I have a wire crate inside for when I'm going extended times or work days. I do think what you say about the "human perspective" is spot on.

Thanks for the comments so far. I would like to here a few additional as well.

My 66 pound lab rides inside the cab of my truck in a large RTK. I have the 2 door model and love it. Most hunt tests for me are 3+ hrs each way. My training water is 1 hr and I do some group training that is 3.5 hrs away.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER SH -- Reggie

I have a 70# male who is lean and leggy. I use the large and it's perfect size.

Intermediate is almost too small for my 63# lab. I'd go large.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

I have four. 3 larg and one intermidaite. I use the internmediate for my pups or a 50# BLF if i don't ahve pups to train. The other two are for my larger dogs who range in the 70# range. You can get by with the intermediate and i cant argue that the larger might be unsafe for a smaller dog. It may be more perceptual and bias on my part but something else to condider is airfolow. I just see tight quarters as holding more heat and less air flow within the box so thats why I went with the large. I also punched more holes in the sides and back. If you go with the intermedaite two door you probalby shoot holes in my air flow concern but my intermeidaite is a two door and it still just feel like I am cramming my larger dogs into that box. At a hunt tests in warm weather I like to hange a small water pail in the box as another reason I went with the large. As for warmth in the fall and winter duck hunting, the dog that goes with me rides shot gun with me. If they are going to freeze with me in the blind, they get to warm up with me on the ride home in the truck. Bottom-line is I feel you can get by with the intermedaite but I would at least be sure you get the two door for airflow.
    Muck Madness Retrievers
    Mark Berger
    Chittenango, NY

Emerald City Reba, SH
    Emerald City Rosie SH
    Muck Madness Hurricane MH ... "Cane"
    Muck Madness Bailey's Irish Cream SH ... Bailey

www.muckmadnessretrievers.com

"How you do anything is how you will do everything".