Teaching Pups HOLD
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Pups HOLD

Question Teaching Pups HOLD

Any advice on how to make this go a little smoother. Been working with my 5 month old pup for about 2 weeks on Hold and she hates it. I've been following Hillmanns.

Tried a soft plastic bumper, a Chuck It, a tennis ball bumper, canvas... A bunch of different ones to see what would be easier to hold and she lets all of them slip out or tries to spit it out.

No missing teeth or loose teeth that I could see. Retrieves nicely but drops the bumper at my feet and protests when I try to work her on HOLD, have not seen any real progress.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

What are your plans for this pup? Are you planning on hunting with her? Running her in Hunt Tests? Or are you going to run other dog venues such as more advanced obedience?

You may soon need to figure out if it is important enough to you to do formal force fetch.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    What are your plans for this pup? Are you planning on hunting with her? Running her in Hunt Tests? Or are you going to run other dog venues such as more advanced obedience?

You may soon need to figure out if it is important enough to you to do formal force fetch.
    She is just going to be an upland and waterfowl pup. There are not many if any hunt tests in my area so I wouldn't be training her for that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Try using a plastic dumbbell at first. When smooth with that, then use knobby bumper

Clean paint roller first , at 5 mo pup probably doesn't have all it's big dog teeth. If your dog is going to be used for anything other than a pet it needs to be force fetched

Ben carries all his toys. Everyday I practice hold/give it with him at play time.
    Hopefully it will make his formal hold go easier .
    Plus he brings his bumper to hand already.
    Tonmar's Little man Ted 3/28/01 - 1/15/14
    TTF Silversnipe's Black Jack Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Lobita View Post
    Any advice on how to make this go a little smoother. Been working with my 5 month old pup for about 2 weeks on Hold and she hates it. I've been following Hillmanns.

Tried a soft plastic bumper, a Chuck It, a tennis ball bumper, canvas... A bunch of different ones to see what would be easier to hold and she lets all of them slip out or tries to spit it out.

No missing teeth or loose teeth that I could see. Retrieves nicely but drops the bumper at my feet and protests when I try to work her on HOLD, have not seen any real progress.

5 months she doesn't have all her adult teeth so a sore mouth is probable right now. If your committed to going forward try a leather gloved hand in her mouth. Basically you insert middle and index fingers in her mouth with your thumb along jaw. Dont squeeze her lower jaw, just roll your hand in to her mouth and tell her hold. She will not like this, but be persistent. When she ceases to resist, even for a moment remove your hand. It helps if you have your dog secure so she cannot move while doing this. You can stake her on a very very short lead, nail a collar to a post etc. But you need her under complete control. Once you get past this you can move on to a dumb bell, paint roller or bumper. Recommend waiting until those adult teeth are in though before beginning.

Patience is the key at this age. Probably has a sore mouth.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack" RIP
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson" RIP (5/26/01-6/18/15)
    Castile Creeks Rawhide, MH "Rowdy"

I had good luck with Hillmann's puppy on everything but hold.

Try the glove in mouth and more traditional hold teaching approach until they understand the concept. Then if you want to go back with Hillmann, watch his YouTube video about hold.

Quote Originally Posted by 480/277 View Post
    Ben carries all his toys. Everyday I practice hold/give it with him at play time.
    Hopefully it will make his formal hold go easier .
    Plus he brings his bumper to hand already.
    reinforcing good behavior that pup is doing on his own is a GREAT strategy and will pay big dividends later
    Darrin Greene