Pulling and Choke Chains
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling and Choke Chains

Default Pulling and Choke Chains

Does anyone have video links or advice on how to use a choke chain to help my almost 6 month old lab to stop pulling?

Heel is going alright but I would like to take her for walks since I live in a suburban neighborhood. She will pull very very hard with her buckle collar and I pull her back but nothing she doesn't care. I don't want to miss use the choke chain and I figure many people here have solved or lessened this type of problem. I've looked on other websites but most don't have articles on puppies and most of them don't advise using chokes on a pup like her.

Since I wouldn't be with her for about a month I'm boarding her with a local retriever trainer to further her training and hopefully start formal training but until then if like to enjoy my walks with her!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

These links may help with your issue.

Use of the Prong Collar (link)

Leerburg (info link)
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 11-29-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Throw away your choke collar and teach your dog to heel using the prong collar as Jim has shown. Learn how to use the prong collar and once the dog has learned to heel you can go back to just the flat collar. Once taught properly my dogs don't need a collar or leash at all

Pulling is a natural action/reaction phenomenon. You pull, she pulls back. It's not unusual, but certainly undesirable, for mature dogs to pull on leash, but walk tractably at heel off-leash. There are a number of videos, including those above, that demonstrate basic obedience, starting with walking at heel. For now, stop pulling. Teach pup to not pull by giving a sharp and firm jerk backwards on her lead. Command "NO, SIT" - she does know "sit" doesn't she? - then heel forward. As soon as she lunges or pulls, repeat. A smart swat on the rear with a heeling stick or crop will reinforce. (Don't do that in public. And don't ask how I know.) Walking at heel is fundamental and pup is certainly old enough to understand. Every thing she learns will evolve from that basic. Get that down before sending her off for formal training and save the trainer some time. She'll be more responsive to you on all future training as well.
    Good luck.

Best advice I see in these posts is to go with your pup to an obedience class, and not at the local Petco...find a trainer not working in some retail store. That being said, our trainers have always recommended pinch collars vs. choke chains or harnesses. All can be misused and harm the dog.
    The downside on pinch collars is that traditionally, the act of putting them on the dog and getting the latch to hold properly is a challenge. My field trainer recently put me on to a lady that makes a new style pinch collar, that eliminates the difficulty of putting them on and it has no latch...you can look at them at www.lolalimited.net. They call them "Secret Power" collars...but they are a well-engineered covered pinch style collar.
    Be advised that some people do not advocate using a pinch style collar on the dog, and to their credit if not properly used, they can injure the dog’s skin and also cause behavioral problems. But, if used properly by a trained user, they are magic in helping you train the dog to heal, sit, come, etc.
    But do not use these without a trainer teaching you how to train with these collars....good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfatomic View Post
    Does anyone have video links or advice on how to use a choke chain to help my almost 6 month old lab to stop pulling?

Heel is going alright but I would like to take her for walks since I live in a suburban neighborhood. She will pull very very hard with her buckle collar and I pull her back but nothing she doesn't care. I don't want to miss use the choke chain and I figure many people here have solved or lessened this type of problem. I've looked on other websites but most don't have articles on puppies and most of them don't advise using chokes on a pup like her.

Since I wouldn't be with her for about a month I'm boarding her with a local retriever trainer to further her training and hopefully start formal training but until then if like to enjoy my walks with her!
    I have biddable labs and I stopped using choke chains/pinch collars/ heeling sticks about 20 years ago.
    My approach is "internal motivation" starting with backwards heeling at feeding time and gradually
    transition that into field work. Just a different perspective...

Here is an example of "internal motivation" with a 12-week old puppy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKUL1FQlts

And "internal motivation" heeling to the line in the field:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cPpWXeFnc

Just a different perspective...and it has worked for me with my last 3 labs

Look into a nylon puppy prong collar that is available. Also, as EdA recommended, the gentle leader. I haven't used it but many like it.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by MissSkeeter View Post
    I have biddable labs and I stopped using choke chains/pinch collars/ heeling sticks about 20 years ago.
    My approach is "internal motivation" starting with backwards heeling at feeding time and gradually
    transition that into field work. Just a different perspective...

Here is an example of "internal motivation" with a 12-week old puppy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbKUL1FQlts

And "internal motivation" heeling to the line in the field:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cPpWXeFnc

Just a different perspective...and it has worked for me with my last 3 labs
    Wondered what you used to get your dog to the second video. The second video doesn't really show how to lead your dog! My dogs will do that now.

One of my Labs was trained w/out a pinch, choke (which I would never use) or collar. The other requires a little more persuasion. Just different dogs but you have to get on them so they work for you. I like Dr. Ed's idea for sidewalk walking. Most dogs remain quiet in the home but when you take them to a test or trial or even down the street they amp up quite a bit.

What ever you decide to use get some assistance at first to show you the correct way. IIMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Hashtag Mickey

"Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened."
    Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    But do not use these without a trainer teaching you how to train with these collars....good luck
    Herein lies my problem, I don't have many trainers in my area that even use prong collars. I can only think of one that might teach but they use choke chains, not prong collars. I had my golden boarded for training there 6 months ago and when I took him to the vet they said he had problems with his trachea. Now, I don't know if this was due to the training or if it was just something he had to start with.

I will be buying that pinch collar, I had been using it before and she wouldn't pull as much but I'd get scolded by people in the street and stores, I took off the pinch and she walked ok for a few minutes before she started yanking again.