Most Embarassing Mark at a Test - Stories - Page 6
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Embarassing Mark at a Test - Stories

I'll share. It was a senior Nahra test. It was a cold rainy day in Spokane, maybe 50 degrees.

Water triple. First bird was fine. Second bird, Boomer decided he was thirsty, I don't know why, it was cold out. He had just swam for the first mark.

Well, he stops in chest deep water and gets a drink. It was probably less than a minute but it was a long time. Enough that the judges looked at me and I looked at them and they said let's see what he does when he stops.

Sure enough, he finishes up and gets the second bird just fine. Memory was shot on the third bird though and he had no clue.

Never did it before or since.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

The first lab we owned was a dog named Josie. I was fortunate to get hooked up with a good group of guys to train with. Josie and I were progressing pretty well in our training so they talked me into running a Junior Hunt Test to get my feet wet.

Josie and I get to the line of that junior test and the throw the first bird. She runs out and nails it. I feeling pretty good about know. They then shoot the flier. Josie takes a nice line to about ten yards from the bird. She stopped, looked at the flier station. She then ran to the flier station, jumped up on the crate of birds barking at them.

I had to walk to the flier station to get her and walked her back on lead. That was a long walk!!!

She then went on to pass every test we ran after that day and two Master National passes. I'm glad we stuck with it.

Not actually a mark but still hilarious. I had my training partner run my dog at our local trial because I had to work. He ran the qual. and the amateur. Qual went well dog did a good job. I asked how the amateur went and he says the dog never even got to see a mark go off. Why you might ask? Because on the way to the line he had to walk right past the honor dog and he decided to mount her and just plain go to town on her. He had to physically remove him and that was the end of that. Later he told me he was going screwy in the holding blinds and had his nose glued to the ground the whole time. I'm sure someone had a dog in heat but its hard to say who. I'm glad I wasn't running him haha. But I get to hear a replay of this story at every one of our club events. It has also become a running joke when someone's dog goes out for whatever reason "well at least he/she didn't mount the honor dog".

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

We have new people in RTF all the time and its been a year since this has been discussed. Let's hear some more stories of everyone's embarrassing HT/FT stories.
    4xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

https://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

My son was running his dog in started for her title (he was 11 at the time) they went to the line and she sat and looked at both winger hides, he pulled her to the first mark, bird thrown, she sits steady and he releases her, she hits the water hard and is practically running on top of the water. She returns with bird, sits at heel, he calmly took the bird and turned to hand it to the bird boy, she took off like she was fired out of a cannon, went straight to the area the second bird was going to land and put on a hunt. After a good hunt in the area he finally got her to sit and come back. She sat at heel watched the mark go down and went straight to it and brought it back. I felt so bad for him, he was so embarresed.

I was running Cosmo bitch in seasoned and on the land blind, I shot the blind and turned to put the gun back on the gun stand and she broke (saw the stake) a quick whistle sit and reheel then she lines it kicking dirt on me as she took off.

Ok, I'll go.

My first ever hunt test dog in my first ever finished hunt test. She was only 17 months old but figured I'd give it a try. Very skittish female and refuses to cross a log in the water (even after many "No No Drills"). We did great on land that morning. Got to water that afternoon and go bird was a very cheaty splasher. Of course, she cheats and when she decides to get in the water, there is a huge log in the way. She attempts to go all the way around. At the end of the log was the gallery where she decided to stop and heel to my buddy watching us. Not to mention my girlfriend of now a year, this was her first time ever to watch us train or test.

Our first YLF hated being in the holding blind. I was running her in a Junior test, we were up on a hill in a holding blind , the gun goes off for the working do, my dog jumps up over the holding, take me with her. It was wet and muddy, she dragged me with her part of the way down in the mud. I looked behind me and the galley was all but on the ground laughing. It was at the time the 10,000 video contest was going on and no one had a video camera.
    My current nut case YLF , when running Finished, got her HRCH title on Saturday, run Sunday in the rain, she smokes first series, goes to honor, I blow duck call and she is gone. Had a hard time getting her out of the field and judges could not stop laughing at a dog that broke on a duck call and no bird flying.

Many years ago at a senior test one of the marks was a pheasant. Being newer to the game we hadn't trained with pheasants. Mark was short swim across a pond with bird landing about 50 yards in a field. I sent my dog she swam across pond stepped on pheasant picked it up and headed right back ... great!! She stopped at far side of pond looked at me turned right and disappeared in reeds. I called and called. She appeared with mud all over her face and swam back to me without pheasant. Six of us could not find where she buried the pheasant
    Larry Thompson
    StoneFly Retrievers
    http://www.stoneflyretrievers.com
    StoneFlys Mahogany Dun MH, WCX (11/26/2005-10/7/2017) RIP
    HRCH StoneFlys Blue Quill MH
    Stoneflys Ruby River SH ***
    Stoneflys Madison River

First lab second master test. First bird to the left, flier up the middle, go bird to the right. I was watching the birds and not my dog so when I sent her she splits the difference between the flier and right hand bird. She goes out about 30 yards and then stops, looks at me in total confusion and then proceeds to return to my side. While this was all going on I just stood there like a deer in headlights watching this whole thing unfold. As I left the line with my head hanging down and feeling sick from embarrassment one of the judges said “you could have handled”
    Last edited by sunnydee; 01-29-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    Terry Crawford

You can't win if you don't play, every dog has his day

I have met more dogs that deserve better owners than owners that deserve better dogs

Sunny Dee Light MH QA2 (Sunny)
    Sunny's Black Gold Texas Tea QA2 (Crude)

I had a little Black female retrieve a water bottle from the bird boy at a Started test this past fall. That was a real crowd-pleaser.