Neoprene dog vest - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neoprene dog vest

My 72 punds male lab uses an XL in the Avery. To echo what everyone has said, they are "trim to fit" in terms of length, and near the arm pits. I love the Avery vest, and would buy another if I had a second dog.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have done some checking academy sports and gander mountain in Dothan allow u to bring your dog into the store I just might have to bring them along and do the ole fit test in store

Im not a avery guy... But have had a avery boaters for 5 years now!!!!!!! Thing has been through hell and back and still going what ever you do dont buy anything less than a 5mm thickness those 3mm tear like paper
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

My male and female both wear a XL boaters parka by Avery. As said above you will have to trim it.

Here is the link for sizing...

https://www.averysportingdog.com/boa...ting-dog-parka
    HRCH 'Hook"
    HRCH "Bear"
    HRCH "Ava" MH
    HR "Penny"
    HR "Zoom"

http://plumcreekretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.hunter View Post
    I have done some checking academy sports and gander mountain in Dothan allow u to bring your dog into the store I just might have to bring them along and do the ole fit test in store
    Now that is a real good deal....why not good shopping! If you have a girl dog, this will come natural to go shopping for "something to wear"

Have the Banded vest and has held up great last 2 seasons. My dog is 65lbs and large is snug but not too tight. Had to modify a little bit around the front legs so that it wouldn't rub under his legs.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

To get any of them to fit properly, you are going to have to cut away under the "armpits" and probably dart the vest/cut out slack around the neck and rear abdomen and re-glue with neoprene cement from a dive shop.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    HRCH Tipsy MH

Seems like I'll be doing some trimming and probably purchasing another both my male and female are only a yr old an I expect a little more growth

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.hunter View Post
    Seems like I'll be doing some trimming and probably purchasing another both my male and female are only a yr old an I expect a little more growth
    I've only owned Avery and Cabela's vests, but one of the reasons I favor the Cabela's is its wide Velcro fastener that allows a good bit of adjustment for fit. You'll still want to get the correct chest size and tailor the neck and waist for correct fit, but if you do the tailoring with the fastener well overlapped, odds are you'll be able to make all the adjustment for filling out with the fastener.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

Senior Member DucksDogsDownriggers's Avatar

I've owned Avery, Cabela's and a local made brand, and like Rick, favor the Cabela's. Velcro can be a pain because it tends to pick up lent/grass etc, but is well worth the hassle because it allows for a much more custom fit. The width for the Velcro band allows the vest to snuggly fit the contour of your dog's body-see photo. With that kind of snug fit, my dog is 50-75% completely DRY under the vest when I take it off after a hunt.

Another option is to find a seamstress and have them make a custom fitting one with a zipper for your dog-I believe the vest in John Robinson's avatar photo is a custom made vest.

Cabela's vests do run a little small in my opinion, but the Cabela's I frequent will let you bring your dog in and try one on . It's nigh and snugg, but the 65lb BLF wears a Large.
    IMG_3620.jpg