Chessie Owners.............Question??
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chessie Owners.............Question??

Default Chessie Owners.............Question??

Good morning everyone. I recently put a deposit on a Chesapeake that I will be getting in the future. I am truly excited like an expectant mother about this pup, and have been telling all my friends about the newest pack member that will eventually join our family.

I have to say I am a little surprised about the responses I have gotten. I have been around a few chessies and see nothing but a loving loyal dog, with only one showing some protective traits (and not in a negative way). Anyhow, at least 75% of my responses are like this

Me: "I am so excited I am getting a chessie pup!"
    Them: "............"Really?......Why? They're nasty, why don't you just get a lab?"

Now nothing against labs. I don't want one. I want a chessie. We are in the bay 7 months out of the year and I want this dog to retrieve ducks and be my clamming buddy. I chose a Chesapeake.

Why such a large generalized negative view on them? Most the people giving their opinion have never even been around one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Probably because they tend to be much more stubborn and headstrong than a lab. There are lots of great chessies out there. Different people do better with different breeds

You have to be a little thick skinned to own and run a Chessie. You'll get that BS a lot and it's exactly that, BS. Generally the people saying it have 1) never owned a Chessie and 2) probably have only heard of all the aggressive ones but never really seen one. Not saying they don't exist but no where near as prevalent as many suggest. Just ignore them while acknowledging their ignorance.

Enjoy your new pup. Sounds like you guys will live a fun life together. Mind if I ask which breeding?
    Last edited by Scott R.; 04-25-2015 at 12:56 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

If all goes as planned its a Pond Hollow dog on dam side, the sire is from Canada Caroway Lord Stanley MH I believe.
    The breeding hasn't happened so I suppose things can change, but as of now that is what I put deposit on. I am so excited!!

You won't have a more loyal dog. Most people do ask why I chose a Chessie. It was the first dog I hunted over. The dog left an impression of drive and intelligence while retrieving that I will never forget. The dog also bravely looked over the family that was being tested by illness. I loved that dog, and I knew it was the breed I wanted for my family, and my hunting buddy.

Just for the heck of it, here is a good read about Chessies. https://riverrunchesapeakes.wordpres...-a-chesapeake/
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    LAURELWOOD'S GOT GEESE ON THE RADAR BB
    CHESAGROVE'S RED SKY AT NIGHT
    CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS HRC
    FALL LINE RETRIEVER CLUB AKC

Quote Originally Posted by sandysylvester View Post
    Good morning everyone. I recently put a deposit on a Chesapeake that I will be getting in the future. I am truly excited like an expectant mother about this pup, and have been telling all my friends about the newest pack member that will eventually join our family.

I have to say I am a little surprised about the responses I have gotten. I have been around a few chessies and see nothing but a loving loyal dog, with only one showing some protective traits (and not in a negative way). Anyhow, at least 75% of my responses are like this

Me: "I am so excited I am getting a chessie pup!"
    Them: "............"Really?......Why? They're nasty, why don't you just get a lab?"

Now nothing against labs. I don't want one. I want a chessie. We are in the bay 7 months out of the year and I want this dog to retrieve ducks and be my clamming buddy. I chose a Chesapeake.

Why such a large generalized negative view on them? Most the people giving their opinion have never even been around one.
    Sandy..we just had this conversation over at peake talk...team chesapeake.....sift through the threads under chat.Too many very knowledgable chessie people over there to mention with years and years of handling experience...

Read the thread classact (scotty) started about "questions of past fc and afc" ....Jim
    Last edited by jd6400; 04-25-2015 at 07:49 AM.
    Jim Weitzel

The "right decision"to a retriever is generally that decision which feels good or is the most convenient.So its the trainers job to teach the dog that what feels good is that which pleases the trainer.

Cotton Pershall

Thanks Jim. I am just so happy to be getting this puppy, but in honesty, these people make me feel like a black sheep. I love the breed! I probably will not be field trialing the dog. Just a good steady hunter who loves the water is all I ask for. If I get that I will be happy.

http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/eve/forums

This is where all the Black Sheep hang out.......

Welcome to the breed

Thanks! Let me rephrase my post. Not THESE people on this forum, just my local dog friends. LOL....

why???? one book wrote a long time ago said you need to train a chessy with a 2x4...

So people who have never owned or trained one think that is the way they are.

I've had 3 not once did one ever start a fight, but also never lost one...

My female lab has bit more people then any dog I have owned.

Training for me they are harder to train as they seem to get board, like with say double T, a lab will run it every time
    a chessy will the first few times, but they get it. Once they get a concept they (FOR ME ONLY) do not do as well as a lab
    for re-runs(drills).

good luck!!!