Raw Feeding
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raw Feeding

Post Raw Feeding

I'm interested in starting the prey model raw feeding for my lab. Does anyone feed raw? If so any pointers? About how much does it cost you, I know it'll go up in hunting season, how does your dog do on it, and what meats do you recommend?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Out of curiosity wouldn't feeding raw encourage a retriever to eat birds?
    Some people dream of success, while others wake up and work hard for it.

"Five in the hole is better then 250 circling overhead." - Jase Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Newcomb View Post
    Out of curiosity wouldn't feeding raw encourage a retriever to eat birds?
    No I've heard from others that they have had no issues. The dog doesn't become blood thirsty

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

We pray before all meals.....Haha..
    We feed raw. It is pretty inexpensive. I had to get a separate refig/freezer and it is in the garage. In the morning we mix some Honest Kitchen-Preference with a 1/4 pound of ground turkey, or Blue Ridge beef. In the evening we give one chicken quarter during the summer, and two in the winter because we are very active. The dog needs carbs. Thats what the Honest Kitchen is for.

It comes out to about $1.05 per day. I have heard several people have problems with it so keep an eye on your pup. If all goes well, this will make your dog very healthy. Oh, and I have never had the dog eat birds. He is not blood thirsty. Nor are any of the other dogs I know that get fed raw food.

Just my opinion.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    LAURELWOOD'S GOT GEESE ON THE RADAR BB
    CHESAGROVE'S RED SKY AT NIGHT
    CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS HRC
    FALL LINE RETRIEVER CLUB AKC

We have chosen to compromise on feeding raw. We primarily feed Pro Plan Performance, but when we have a pregnant or nursing female we supplement their dry food with raw venison mixed with powdered lamb's milk replacer. I really like the added calories, protein and calcium it provided. During our last litter this really kept the weight on our girl and she recovered very, very quickly.

As for the price, well... we go collect the venison ourselves. We are blessed to live in an area where the whitetail population is borderline out of control so tags and seasons are very liberal. We killed and processed 14 deer last fall which provides enough meat for my family and plenty for the dogs to supplement their diet. Last time I did the math on it it was somewhere around ~$0.20 per pound since we do it all in house.

Good luck with your raw feeding program!

Thank you for the replies! I'm looking at just going completely raw. Starting with some chicken backs for the first few days and then adding in chicken quarters. We live in Alaska so if I get a caribou and/or a moose this year (fingers crossed) I guess I'll share with him. I know for fish you are supposed to freeze it before giving it to the dogs. Anything else I need to freeze prior? What kind of bones do you normally mix in to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead92 View Post
    Thank you for the replies! I'm looking at just going completely raw. Starting with some chicken backs for the first few days and then adding in chicken quarters. We live in Alaska so if I get a caribou and/or a moose this year (fingers crossed) I guess I'll share with him. I know for fish you are supposed to freeze it before giving it to the dogs. Anything else I need to freeze prior? What kind of bones do you normally mix in to it?
    There is actually one thing worse than feeding the world's worst kibble, and that is feeding a raw diet that is unbalanced. Since you are first starting, mix raw food with dry. Green tripe is probably the best raw item to include. Chicken backs are just bones and chicken quarters have the potential to cause really serious injury because the leg bones are hollow and can turn into a very sharp object. I have personally seen dogs where a chicken leg bone went clear through the palate.

Many vets can share horror stories about bone blockages and masses of calcium that block the intestines.

In order to do raw correctly you need to incorporate organ meat and fish. It isn't easy or cheap, so beware of rosy cost projections.

If you feed game, make sure it is frozen and at a temperature below zero for several weeks and never feed raw trout or salmon.
    Last edited by MunsterBraccoLab; 04-29-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Do not feed raw to puppies unless you know how to balance the calcium intake correctly. Kibble should be about 1% calcium. I don't guarantee hips on dogs that are fed raw as puppies.

Quote Originally Posted by EELabs View Post
    Do not feed raw to puppies unless you know how to balance the calcium intake correctly. Kibble should be about 1% calcium. I don't guarantee hips on dogs that are fed raw as puppies.
    The latest guidance and requirements for puppy food for even large and giant breeds is 1.20% - 1.80%, dry matter basis.

This is based on studies on both sides of 1.20% and 1.80%. Some companies are complying but some have not yet.

My lab is over a year old. He was on kibble (wellness core grain free), but I'm now wanting to switch to raw after much research.