South Carolina - Confederate Flag Removal from State Capital Grounds - Page 5
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 155

Thread: South Carolina - Confederate Flag Removal from State Capital Grounds

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,779

    Default

    It's a little like Hitler and the swastika. I grew up seeing that as an evil symbol. Truth is that it was used by people long before hitler that had no connection to Natzi use etc. It can still be an evil symbol but of its self it is not. I still see evil people using it. Have to look beyond what it seems to be. I sure wouldn't wear it though
    charly

    "To become competent in governing others, we must first learn to govern ourselves"
    Waite Phillips

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #42
    Senior Member Henlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    you have me curious as to what part of the country you are from. Can you share? If not no problem, I'll respect that.
    I am from Michigan.
    "It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray

  4. #43
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    14,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    It's a little like Hitler and the swastika. I grew up seeing that as an evil symbol. Truth is that it was used by people long before hitler that had no connection to Natzi use etc. It can still be an evil symbol but of its self it is not. I still see evil people using it. Have to look beyond what it seems to be. I sure wouldn't wear it though
    the logo for the rock group KISS is the SS from the Nazi logo found on German WWII uniforms, which is ironic because the founder of the group Gene Simmons is Jewish...when the group first came out, they were the anti establishment group and catered to bikers and nefarious type characters, nowadays their followers are older baby boomers reliving their youth with a couple of 60 year old rock stars
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #44
    Senior Member Julie R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Orlean VA
    Posts
    3,254

    Default

    Does anyone think that the government legislating what you can and cannot display or say for fear of being accused of a racist hate crime, has made this a kinder, nicer place to live? I think not. What's next, the thought police? Yes I have a Confederate battle flag. It's never been displayed because it's very old and falling apart. I suppose admitting that here will one day get me arrested. How sad....
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

  7. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Linden, VA
    Posts
    5,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Does anyone think that the government legislating what you can and cannot display or say for fear of being accused of a racist hate crime, has made this a kinder, nicer place to live? I think not. What's next, the thought police? Yes I have a Confederate battle flag. It's never been displayed because it's very old and falling apart. I suppose admitting that here will one day get me arrested. How sad....
    I have a friend with one in a glass case in his basement. Amongst other things from the war. His basement is minature museum. That flag has been handed down from generation to generation in his family. It is a authentic artifact that was flown at Manassas.

  8. #46
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    DuLarge-Dulac-Cocodrie Metroplex, La.
    Posts
    16,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    I have a friend with one in a glass case in his basement. Amongst other things from the war. His basement is minature museum. That flag has been handed down from generation to generation in his family. It is a authentic artifact that was flown at Manassas.
    Manassas? Certainly you must mean Bull Run!
    "No figure, regardless of the heights they've reached and no figure regardless of the office they occupy, should be allowed in this country to cry witch hunt or fake news in an attempt to deflect their criminal wrongdoing."










  9. #47
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    DuLarge-Dulac-Cocodrie Metroplex, La.
    Posts
    16,093

    Default

    It won't stop with the elimination of the flag from public property. The renaming of streets and the removal of statues is also on their agenda.
    "No figure, regardless of the heights they've reached and no figure regardless of the office they occupy, should be allowed in this country to cry witch hunt or fake news in an attempt to deflect their criminal wrongdoing."










  10. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Linden, VA
    Posts
    5,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Manassas? Certainly you must mean Bull Run!
    Franco, the first and second battles of Manassas are also known as first and second Bull Run. Mostly known by folks who are not familiar with the area as Bull Run. But, they are one in the same. You been there, its like 45 minutes from here. It's sacred ground.

  11. #49
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    DuLarge-Dulac-Cocodrie Metroplex, La.
    Posts
    16,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Franco, the first and second battles of Manassas are also known as first and second Bull Run. Mostly known by folks who are not familiar with the area as Bull Run. But, they are one in the same. You been there, its like 45 minutes from here. It's sacred ground.

    I've been there and another dozen or so major battle sites.

    The North named the battle, Manassas. However, the victors have the naming rights and it was called the Battle of Bull Run.
    "No figure, regardless of the heights they've reached and no figure regardless of the office they occupy, should be allowed in this country to cry witch hunt or fake news in an attempt to deflect their criminal wrongdoing."










  12. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Linden, VA
    Posts
    5,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I've been there and another dozen or so major battle sites.

    The North named the battle, Manassas. However, the victors have the naming rights and it was called the Battle of Bull Run.
    There is a lot of battlefields here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •