Did Rex Carr ever write any books on training?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Rex Carr ever write any books on training?

Default Did Rex Carr ever write any books on training?

Just wondering.

Also, I have another question:

Back in the really old days, wasn't it the dogma that you really locked the dog down on marking before moving on to handling? That is to say, did one much put a lot of emphasis on a dog handling much before their derby years were up? I kinda thought that was from D.L. but it's been years since I could find my copy of the book so I could be wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

That reminds me. I wonder if Vickie Lamb will ever get her book finished.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I have been wanting to ask that very same question. For me, that would be a "must have" book!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

There is a DVD set that Rex Carr did with Dave Rorem that is available through YBS Media.

I have a copy of Rex Carr's notes ... a 3" binder full of notes. I don't believe he ever made it any further than that. I loaned the notes to Vickie Lamb for work on her book but don't know whether she's completed it.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

I have a binder that says "Dog Training Bible" on an attached label and it is Rex Carr notes. I used to have a lot of loose notes from him stuck in folders given to me by others, and would have to go back through my many file drawers to see where they are. When I first started and was trying to find someone who could throw some birds for my dog --- I wanted a wc on her --- through serendipity I met someone who had kept a Lab with Rex for years. She had lots of copies of old letters he had written to clients, etc. Really interesting and a treasure trove. Am not sure what her family did with them once she died. The family was from out of the area and if I had known more in those days, I would have tracked them down and tried to get hold of the letters.

There are some excellent pros out there that spent a lot of time working with Rex, such as Rorem, Sargenti, Patopea, etc., and I bet they have some notebooks lying around somewhere.

Glenda

Glenda

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I have a copy of Rex Carr's notes ... a 3" binder full of notes. I don't believe he ever made it any further than that. I loaned the notes to Vickie Lamb for work on her book but don't know whether she's completed it.
    Was this 10 years ago? I'd bet pretty good money that book never sees the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda Brown View Post
    There are some excellent pros out there that spent a lot of time working with Rex, such as Rorem, Sargenti, Patopea, etc., and I bet they have some notebooks lying around somewhere. Glenda
    Add to your list of pros Danny Farmer, Don Remien, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Jim Kappes.

Billy Sargenti grew up with Rex and of the pros mentioned had vastly more exposure to him. The amateurs, Lanse and Dana Brown, Judy (Weikel) Aycock, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Delma Hazzard to name a few had significantly more time with Rex than any pro except Billy. Rex's notes were copied and widely distributed but as anyone who was around him over a long period of time can attest he was subject to change as happened most visibly with selection.

Beyond Rex's immense primary contributions to dog training came the secondary ones passed by some of the above to the next generation of trainers e.g. Dana to Remien, Judy to Danny, Kappes to Lardy etc.
    Last edited by EdA; 07-14-2015 at 02:53 PM.

O
    Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Add to your list of pros Danny Farmer, Don Remien, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Jim Kappes.

Billy Sargenti grew up with Rex and of the pros mentioned had vastly more exposure to him. The amateurs, Lanse and Dana Brown, Judy (Weikel) Aycock, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Delma Hazzard to name a few had significantly more time with Rex than any pro except Billy. Rex's notes were copied and widely distributed but as anyone who was around him over a long period of time can attest he was subject to change as happened most visibly with selection.

Beyond Rex's immense primary contributions to dog training came the secondary ones passed by some of the above to the next generation of trainers e.g. Dana to Remien, Judy to Danny, Kappes to Lardy etc.
    Great history of the game info right here Ed. Thanks.
    Bill Davis

A book ?
    Whenever you talk ,all you do is say what you already know.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever