Did Rex Carr ever write any books on training? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Rex Carr ever write any books on training?

I have Rex Carr notes from Lanse and his former wife Dana Brown...Dana is credited with teaching both Don Remien and Jack Vollstedt how to train a dog....and depending on who you ask, she also taught Lanse

Jim Dobbs was also a Rex Carr assistant for about 5 yrs, but they parted ways after some philosophical differences...Jim then teamed with Alice Woodyard to produce the Tri Troniics training book...He had some input on the R&D of the variable frequency collar as we know it today
    Last edited by BonMallari; 07-14-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Add to your list of pros Danny Farmer, Don Remien, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Jim Kappes.

Billy Sargenti grew up with Rex and of the pros mentioned had vastly more exposure to him. The amateurs, Lanse and Dana Brown, Judy (Weikel) Aycock, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Delma Hazzard to name a few had significantly more time with Rex than any pro except Billy. Rex's notes were copied and widely distributed but as anyone who was around him over a long period of time can attest he was subject to change as happened most visibly with selection.

Beyond Rex's immense primary contributions to dog training came the secondary ones passed by some of the above to the next generation of trainers e.g. Dana to Remien, Judy to Danny, Kappes to Lardy etc.
    Dr. Ed has identified a key often ignored contribution. Rex's 2nd generation protégées!! And I daresay there is a 3rd generation now! There are tons of notes floating around, some from Rex, some letters to clients and most by his students.

Rex was constantly changing details, based on the record of notes andthose who knew him. His standards and passion for the dogs never changed. But the Rex Carr on the Carr/Rorem DVD is quite different than the earlier Carr.

I suspect extremely few really understood Rex and his lateral thinking and insight into dogs. Perhaps Judy Aycock came closest and at the end Rorem, who became Rex's major pass along disciple, along of course with long time student Sargenti.

As Dr.Ed identified Lardy learned Rex's program steps from Kappes but Mike did a study visit with Rex in the late 90's. He tweaked the BB Blinds and Tune-ups to what many of us follow today. In my study visit to Rex, with Rorem, I learned much and refined my training. Drills like my swim-by tune-up and cast into water drill and water tune-ups had their genesis from Rex.

I, like others, who have much more experience, with could go on and on, but I fear there will never be an accurate chronicle of the real story about Rex including all the evolution and game-changing developments!!

PS. There is an audio tape of a Rex Carr workshop in the 70's in Colorado! It is gold. Try to find it!
    Last edited by RetrieversONLINE; 07-14-2015 at 07:36 PM.
    Dennis Voigt
    Visit our new Website: www.retrieversonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post
    Judy A. came closest
    No one knew or understood him better.
    When the 1995 NRC was dedicated to Rex Judy passionately spoke about Rex and his contributions to retriever training, it was a moving and emotional presentation even for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

We have some extremely talented and very well respected members. I would like to ask if they would share their stories,some of his teachings and the history of Rex Carr. Possibly in a new thread? Many of us try to use his methods and struggle,few had the privilege of meeting him and fewer to be his students.

What's the word on Vicki Lamb's efforts to consolidate his writings for a book or two? Granted this thread from Refuge Forums http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/s...d.php?t=314241 is 10 years old, but at least it shows at one time she was in the process of putting one together.

I had the tapes of Rex's seminar put on CD....

I also scanned in numerous binders of notes....

I'm a junkie.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker QA2 - Bullet (11/22/2003 - 03/05/2016)
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It QA2 - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies QA2 - Riot
    FOM's Fugitive From Justice - Bandit
    CH FOM's Number One Small Caliber Bullet of CTC CA - "Ichi the Cairn Terrorist"

bumped this to the top. Interesting. Was the book ever finished? I'd be very interested in reading Rex's notes and thoughts about training.

Add Mark Smith to the list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Add to your list of pros Danny Farmer, Don Remien, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Jim Kappes.

Billy Sargenti grew up with Rex and of the pros mentioned had vastly more exposure to him. The amateurs, Lanse and Dana Brown, Judy (Weikel) Aycock, Rick and Patti Roberts, and Delma Hazzard to name a few had significantly more time with Rex than any pro except Billy. Rex's notes were copied and widely distributed but as anyone who was around him over a long period of time can attest he was subject to change as happened most visibly with selection.

Beyond Rex's immense primary contributions to dog training came the secondary ones passed by some of the above to the next generation of trainers e.g. Dana to Remien, Judy to Danny, Kappes to Lardy etc.
    HRCH Twin Rivers Rowdy Roddy Piper
    FC GRHRCH Franchises Performance Enhancing Drug

I just dug up an old training manual I've had for some time. (new dog showing a ton of potential has got my juices flowing to get back training and running events eventually).
    Was given to me by a trainer I worked for one winter. There is no cover and it is written as notes by what I am guessing is a student of Rex Carr taking notes directly from Rex, almost like it is an interview or class. It is very extensive, but jumps around a lot. Hand drawn diagrams, with typed (not computer) notes/explanation. Lots of reference to this persons dog named "Doc". Quite obvious these notes are not written by Rex, but dictated directly from Rex Carr. Just curious who the person was who wrote it. Only reference was their dog "Doc".
    Muddy Waters Retriever Club

Proudly owned by:
    HR Montana's Golden Retrieves (11/20/99-8/28/07) Miss you sweetheart
    Quake's Tuckin for Cover (01/28/04 - 9/28/05) Hunt em up little buddy.
    HRCH Super Cell Eye of the Storm MH (01/07/06 )
    Trails End Ms. October (09/14/08 - 12/16/16)
    Trails End Gales of November (11/19/2017)

Could be Delma
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam