Finally - A Japanese Apology to US POWs !
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally - A Japanese Apology to US POWs !

Default Finally - A Japanese Apology to US POWs !

"70 years after WWII , Japanese firm to apologize to US vet" AP story , Los Angeles , CA.

Today a representative of the Mitsubishi company will offer an apology to ex-POW James Murphy (94) of Santa Maria, CA at the Simon Wiesenthal Center's Museum (LA). It is the FIRST known case of a Japanese company apologizing for having used over 12,000 American POWs as slave labor at 50 Japanese locations. About 10% died. German firms have apologized.

My comments-
    NOTE: Japan as a country formally apologized in both 2009 and 2010 for using US POWs as slave workers but NO compensation. Japan still disputes the cause of WWII and the need for Pearl Harbor. Forgive perhaps, forget no.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Mitsubishi....didnt they make the infamous Japanese Zero airplane

as a child and even as an adult I heard many stories from my parents about the way the Japanese soldiers treated my Mom, when they were looking for my Dad and his outfit (26th Calvary- Filipino American Scouts). My Mom was able to forgive them,which was good enough for me, as did my oldest siblings that lived thru it...My Dad however could never really let go of the animosity, and I could understand his POV, it was war, the Japanese were the enemy, he was military and did what he had to do for country and family..

I am sure there are many former POW's that deserve apologies..heck they all did for that matter...War is hell..not willing to take up the banner and continue the hostilities a half century later..Let's move on
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bon --yes Mitsubishi did make most of the Zeros. Your father truly saw bad stuff. I lost one military relative w/the Bataan March , another was captured in the Pacific , amazingly allowed to live , most US soldiers who surrendered were killed on the spot because they were regarded as "cowards. Have two (2nd cousin and Uncle) buried in Lorraine, France due to the Battle of the Bulge , another(2nd cousin) was killed there but disinterred in 1948 and reburied in hometown of Ware, Ma.Two Polish cousins were taken in1940 (16/18 years old) Germany as slave workers, managed to survive and died in their early 60s.Surprisingly , another 1st cousin, buried @ 82 last Spring was a courtroom guard @ the Japanese War Trials , married a Japanese woman , returned home, raised great kids, she is still alive at 86 in a nursing home. NO German or Japanese vehicles allowed in our family drive by my father.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

In watching various documentaries about WWII, one thing that has really struck me is that most of the interviewed veterans from he European theater seem to have reached a point where they are willing to acknowledge that the other side were mostly just soldiers who didn't want to be there any more than the Americans, but the men who fought in the Pacific theater seem much less willing to be forgiving and many still talk about the "Japs", and some even talk about trying to kill as many as they could and hunting them like vermin.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

HPL -not to dominate this thread but the difference from a hstorical and personal level was that on the European front, German POW soldiers were interned in the USA. They were brought by the thousands , had POW camps from MN to CA to TX to LA. They worked in agricultural endeavors, obtained pocket money and could spend it as they pleased. Irritated African American soldiers in the south because a German POW , being white got more respect than an A-A in uniform. Had the opportunity to deal w/all of these. My next door neighbor was a German POW who returned to the USA/MN. He was cleared as not being a NAZI , but it did not stop the feuding w/another neighbor who was same age, European theater dog-face, who would call him a NAZI to his face. Germans sometimes killed American surrendered but the word got out-you do it-we do it. In the Pacific and Asia, the Samurrai code was preached, white devils/yellow horde was pushed, few if any Japanese were brought to US POW camps. Hell we put our own Japanese Americans in concentration camps. Roosevelt endorsed. I have done an extensive family history and now know more about all my relatives who I met @ funerals, weddings, family get-togethers who would allow me as a pre-teen /early teen(1950s) to sit and listen to the "men talking to each other." I had no less than 14 men Uncles/1st/2nd cousins who served in the Army , Navy Army Air Force, and Marines (a couple were in China.). There is a considerable amount of historical materiaL published about German POWs living in the USA camps.

I think this initiative might be based upon the China threat to Japan and the TPP/TPA efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    HPL -not to dominate this thread but the difference from a hstorical and personal level was that on the European front, German POW soldiers were interned in the USA. They were brought by the thousands , had POW camps from MN to CA to TX to LA. They worked in agricultural endeavors, obtained pocket money and could spend it as they pleased. Irritated African American soldiers in the south because a German POW , being white got more respect than an A-A in uniform. Had the opportunity to deal w/all of these. My next door neighbor was a German POW who returned to the USA/MN. He was cleared as not being a NAZI , but it did not stop the feuding w/another neighbor who was same age, European theater dog-face, who would call him a NAZI to his face. Germans sometimes killed American surrendered but the word got out-you do it-we do it. In the Pacific and Asia, the Samurrai code was preached, white devils/yellow horde was pushed, few if any Japanese were brought to US POW camps. Hell we put our own Japanese Americans in concentration camps. Roosevelt endorsed. I have done an extensive family history and now know more about all my relatives who I met @ funerals, weddings, family get-togethers who would allow me as a pre-teen /early teen(1950s) to sit and listen to the "men talking to each other." I had no less than 14 men Uncles/1st/2nd cousins who served in the Army , Navy Army Air Force, and Marines (a couple were in China.). There is a considerable amount of historical materiaL published about German POWs living in the USA camps.

I think this initiative might be based upon the China threat to Japan and the TPP/TPA efforts.
    What I am going to say does not apply to everyone but some Japanese living in CA were bragging that when WW 2 came to an end they would own eveything and the "white" people would all be working for the Japanese. Hubby had relatives in CA who got told this by the Japanese that they knew at that time. That message got throught to everyone so the "whites" got nervous. Two sides to every story and sometimes more sides than that.
    charly

"To become competent in governing others, we must first learn to govern ourselves"
    Waite Phillips

Well charly your Japanese braggers were right. Japan lost the war, we rebuilt it, they came to America, bought land, built factories and all the sheepies buy Japanese products or else work for Japanese companies. Ironic?

Quote Originally Posted by swliszka View Post
    Well charly your Japanese braggers were right. Japan lost the war, we rebuilt it, they came to America, bought land, built factories and all the sheepies buy Japanese products or else work for Japanese companies. Ironic?
    LOL. You are so right !!!!!!
    charly

"To become competent in governing others, we must first learn to govern ourselves"
    Waite Phillips

what about all the Americans of Japanese descent that we put in internment camps like the one in Manzanar Calif..That was a very ugly part of American history that seems to go unnoticed...
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Regarding the US interning our own people of Japanese descent see my above post #5. Covered it. I had a friend who went thru that , now dead ,who was a 3rd generation American by birth @ the time of internment. He died bitter about that experience . Bruce Mori Kubo. See how many Germans we interred? No more than 5,000 and most were overt NAZI sympathizers. Roosevelt and buddies did not take on German-Americans in the US because they were the dominant ethnic white group. Check out the 25,000 NY Madison Square Garden NAZI rally pre-WWII. The huge difference is that Germany for better or worse acknowledged its military, business and racial cleansing role in WWII. Read their school textbooks and they acknowledge what they did. The Japanese still have no willingness to deal with Asian "comfort women", scientific experimentation on conquered Asians (especially Chinese) or POWS- info shared w/the Germans, and historical acceptance of WWII causes.

My concern is that Muslim Americans might be in for equivalent Japanese American treatment today. Check out the posts on RTF.
    Last edited by swliszka; 07-20-2015 at 06:25 AM.