The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Sensible Immigration Plan

Default A Sensible Immigration Plan

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/on...rticle/2570563

I thought this was a thoughtful piece. Doesn't perfectly satisfy everyone, but it does have a lot going for it.

This is just an outline, and some things are not completely detailed. I would make some changes.

I think the 1st category of a work permit is worth more than the fees of $100 for application and $25 every two years to keep the permit active. That $25 will not even cover the cost of recording the renewal! Get real on what the cost is to the agency that will be doing that paperwork! No doubt at least $100.

For the privilege of having a job in the US, I think both of those fees should be higher. An agricultural worker might not have to pay as much as a computer geek working in Silicon Valley? $12.50/year for a better job than could be gotten in the home country; and the ability to send quite a lot of the money back home?

The 2nd category fee is $1,070 (who the heck came up with that oddball number?) Not sure when that figure was determined, but seems like the fee should also be higher. The value of getting permanent residency for family members is certainly worth more than that.

The 3rd category costs 2X as much as #2, and that seems reasonable. However, it appears that category also makes the person eligible for things like Medicaid and other social services. Since everybody contributes to SS & Medicare, I can understand that all of these categories should be eligible according to their contributions to those programs.

At least the qualifications for citizenship would include fluency in English! Why should we have voting machines that offer Spanish? That is counter to the whole idea of becoming a citizen if we're not legally a 2-language country (and lots of Canadians would prefer that their country wasn't so).

I think that the criminal aspect would have to be clarified. Jay-walking is a misdemeanor, but there are others that are more serious. Some criminals end up with misdemeanors through a plea bargain down from a felony ... then go on to commit other felonies.

It's kind of surprising that the statistics seem to say that almost 1/2 of immigrants do NOT want to become US citizens. They'd rather just come here for the benefits of living and working here, but not really assimilate?

Still, I see some potential in this.
    [email protected]
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Why with so many citizens on welfare would we allow even one ag worker in? I thought the whole purpose of them, was to get skilled labor, not cheap labor.

Give out work permits for whomever wants to come here and work. They pay the top tax rate regardless of income, they contribute to SS, Medicare but receive no benefits until they become citizens. 5 year minimum under that plan and then they become a citizen, the extra taxes paid their fees for citizenship. When they are giving more than 1/2 their wages back to Uncle Sam they won't be so will to work for low wages.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Give out work permits for whomever wants to come here and work. They pay the top tax rate regardless of income, they contribute to SS, Medicare but receive no benefits until they become citizens. 5 year minimum under that plan and then they become a citizen, the extra taxes paid their fees for citizenship. When they are giving more than 1/2 their wages back to Uncle Sam they won't be so will to work for low wages.
    This would help them decide who really wants the American dream and who wants to be a member of the FSA.
    Fishing, hunting, golfing, traveling and relaxing is life's reward after meeting your goals and retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    This kind of plan would just make them going back into hiding.

I can agree with mngundog, though, that maybe low-skilled workers should be at the bottom of the list. Our present unemployment is already heavily weighted with low-skilled or un-skilled workers. OTOH, it would appear that even skilled labor is going to be cheap labor, compared to US workers ... and that's why Silicon Valley is so much in favor of the expansion of the H1-B1 visas.

There is a value in having a worker-permit plan of some sort so that we actually know who is here and where they are. Such a program was effective at one point.

KEY element to ANY plan is truly securing the border. Carson just visited the border to see what the fence really looks like. Not much of a barrier. Any wall/fence also needs electronic monitoring and boots on the ground to be effective.
    [email protected]
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Why with so many citizens on welfare would we allow even one ag worker in? I thought the whole purpose of them, was to get skilled labor, not cheap labor.
    I am with you. Let the welfare leaches get off their fat asses and get to work..
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI. (RIP)
    teracroft Clan Piper of Perth CGC TDI (RIP)
    Boyne's Fast Break of Perth RA, RN CGC CGCA CGCU TKN( munchin in training)

Because the people who are on welfare here will not do the labor intensive ag and construction jobs at any wage much less one that employers can realistically pay. I have been in the construction industry my entire adult life and I KNOW first hand that what I said is fact. I am speaking from real world in the field experience and not using information spun by news media or our government. I have hired so many sorry a$$ people that show up and work one day and never see them again. Everybody wants to make 25 an hour to sit on their cans. The entitlement programs that our government has instituted has turned the uneducated and unskilled of this country into a bunch of lazy leeches who will barely walk to the mail box for their next check! Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by dgowder View Post
    Because the people who are on welfare here will not do the labor intensive ag and construction jobs at any wage much less one that employers can realistically pay. I have been in the construction industry my entire adult life and I KNOW first hand that what I said is fact. I am speaking from real world in the field experience and not using information spun by news media or our government. I have hired so many sorry a$$ people that show up and work one day and never see them again. Everybody wants to make 25 an hour to sit on their cans. The entitlement programs that our government has instituted has turned the uneducated and unskilled of this country into a bunch of lazy leeches who will barely walk to the mail box for their next check! Just my .02
    so let's cut the welfare food stamp housing stuff off. Then they would have to work rather than streaking from the g
    hard working federal income tax payer
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI. (RIP)
    teracroft Clan Piper of Perth CGC TDI (RIP)
    Boyne's Fast Break of Perth RA, RN CGC CGCA CGCU TKN( munchin in training)

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    so let's cut the welfare food stamp housing stuff off. Then they would have to work rather than streaking from the g
    hard working federal income tax payer
    Amen, I've been screaming it from the rooftops for years but I really think we have gone so far down the road of entitlements that the only way it will ever happen is if the government loses all ability to finance the crap. That ain't such a stretch to think we may see it though

That is because we have the welfare system we have. It encourages them not to work and creates an underground labor force. Try to hire anyone for non-skilled labor without paying under the table. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that the gov. actually encourages it.