IOU from the Military
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IOU from the Military

Default IOU from the Military

I am one that typically does not post on this Forum, but follow along in the back round for occasional entertainment. This was brought to my attention yesterday as we were visiting my daughter near Beloit WI.
    My daughter hired a friend who is a 19 year old college student home for Christmas break to watch our grand children while we went out to eat yesterday afternoon.
    As I was talking to her, she said that she was trying to pick up some extra work and cash over the Christmas break to help out her older brother that was a 4 year veteran of the 82nd Airborne.
    He was also home and had just been deployed to go overseas to Iraq or Afghanistan. He is currently a Sergeant and was making approximately $18.75 per hour.
    At the same time that they we notified of their deployment, they were also notified that they would be receiving a cut in pay. He is going to be paid $6.75 per hour for an undisclosed amount of time.
    Reason given, because the military cannot afford to pay these guys their normal salary!
    But they will be given an government issued IOU to collect their back pay at a later unknown date. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???
    Does this government issued IOU then apply to the Landlord when these folks husbands and wives need to pay the rent? Does the IOU negate them from having to pay for their groceries or utility bills until our well oiled machine of big brother can come up with the cash to satisfy the IOU? I'm sure the gas station and extra school kids programs will give them all a pass on their timely payment.
    Didn't a bunch a dumb asses just pass a $1.1 Trillion dollar budget that only gets us to some time next year?
    And we have to hand out IOU's to the people that volunteer to protect us?
    I don't care which side of the isle you come from, or what your political persuasion is, this is wrong in so many ways it becomes indescribable.
    This girl is going to try and get me some sort of paper documentation of this situation from her brother. I then am going to try and contact anyone who will listen.
    These Men and Women signed a contract with us, the American people, to Serve and protect us all over the globe. We at least own it to them to pay them what they have earned.
    If any one should take a cut in pay, it should start from the top down. First our brilliant President, followed by House and Senate members, followed by Military brass and State government officials.
    "Like winds on the plains, sands in the glass, waves rolling in with the tide. dreams die hard and we watch them roll but we cannot be denied........The Fire Inside" Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Spangler View Post
    I am one that typically does not post on this Forum, but follow along in the back round for occasional entertainment. This was brought to my attention yesterday as we were visiting my daughter near Beloit WI.
    My daughter hired a friend who is a 19 year old college student home for Christmas break to watch our grand children while we went out to eat yesterday afternoon.
    As I was talking to her, she said that she was trying to pick up some extra work and cash over the Christmas break to help out her older brother that was a 4 year veteran of the 82nd Airborne.
    He was also home and had just been deployed to go overseas to Iraq or Afghanistan. He is currently a Sergeant and was making approximately $18.75 per hour.
    At the same time that they we notified of their deployment, they were also notified that they would be receiving a cut in pay. He is going to be paid $6.75 per hour for an undisclosed amount of time.
    Reason given, because the military cannot afford to pay these guys their normal salary!
    But they will be given an government issued IOU to collect their back pay at a later unknown date. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???
    Does this government issued IOU then apply to the Landlord when these folks husbands and wives need to pay the rent? Does the IOU negate them from having to pay for their groceries or utility bills until our well oiled machine of big brother can come up with the cash to satisfy the IOU? I'm sure the gas station and extra school kids programs will give them all a pass on their timely payment.
    Didn't a bunch a dumb asses just pass a $1.1 Trillion dollar budget that only gets us to some time next year?
    I don't care which side of the isle you come from, or what your political persuasion is, this is wrong in so many ways it becomes indescribable.
    This girl is going to try and get me some sort of paper documentation of this situation from her brother. I then am going to try and contact anyone who will listen.
    These Men and Women signed a contract with us, the American people, to Serve and protect us all over the globe. We at least own it to them to pay them what they have earned.
    If any one should take a cut in pay, it should start from the top down. First our brilliant President, followed by House and Senate members, followed by Military brass and State government officials.
    If this is true, it's absolutely unacceptable. All the politicians should take a pay cut so our soldiers can be paid. The politicians are not putting their lives on the line. Pay the important people, the soldiers!!! Kind of sounds like corporate america. The people actually doing the work, get pay cuts ans benefit cuts. But the execs get huge salaries, bonuses and who kow what else.
    James Durfee BBQ pitmaster.

Since when did the military start paying by the hour? Yes I know I've been out of the Marines for nearly 16 years, but it was a salary when I was in, not hourly. As a corporal in the marines I brought in after taxes roughly $1250 a month as a single male living in the barracks. Yes I had a free place to sleep, mind you it was inspected every Friday morning, and free meals at the chow hall. Fyi if they ever charged for a meal at a grunt chow haul nobody would have ever eaten there, $2 a meal would have been highway robbery for the quality of food you got in a camp lejuene chow hall. In short what in sayings is that I got paid $385 on the 1st and $385 on the 15th of the month after my truck note ( nothing fancy either a 4 year old 4 cylinder base model ford ranger) out in a direct alotment. We use to do the math and joke about the fact we made less then $2 per hour and that inmates had better food and more civil rights than an enlisted marine.
    Yes I personally know the enlisted guys in the military get paid WAY too little for what they are asked to do, but her story just doesn't make since. There must be some facts missing to get the whole picture.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Spangler View Post
    IF your story is true it is a travesty. Fighting men making less than minimum wage?????
    It doesn't pass the smell test however

Quote Originally Posted by steve hoppas View Post
    Since when did the military start paying by the hour? Yes I know I've been out of the Marines for nearly 16 years, but it was a salary when I was in, not hourly. As a corporal in the marines I brought in after taxes roughly $1250 a month as a single male living in the barracks. Yes I had a free place to sleep, mind you it was inspected every Friday morning, and free meals at the chow hall. Fyi if they ever charged for a meal at a grunt chow haul nobody would have ever eaten there, $2 a meal would have been highway robbery for the quality of food you got in a camp lejuene chow hall. In short what in sayings is that I got paid $385 on the 1st and $385 on the 15th of the month after my truck note ( nothing fancy either a 4 year old 4 cylinder base model ford ranger) out in a direct alotment. We use to do the math and joke about the fact we made less then $2 per hour and that inmates had better food and more civil rights than an enlisted marine.
    Yes I personally know the enlisted guys in the military get paid WAY too little for what they are asked to do, but her story just doesn't make since. There must be some facts missing to get the whole picture.
    So a quick look at Military pay website shows an enlisted guy (three years in (E-4)), is making roughly $50,000 a year in pay and allowances (with the tax break) if they live off base and never leave the States. Plus 30 vacation days and 10 paid Holidays. Am I reading that correct?
    Last edited by mngundog; 12-27-2015 at 05:06 PM.

The irrigation canal formaly known as the Rio Grande

I have an old acquaintance from years ago. We were drafted at the same time in 1968.
    He declined signing for any pay from the beginning. He also declined any promotions, although the rise from E-1 to E-2 was unavoidable. He served his time and was discharged.
    Several years later a check arrived from DoD for his back pay.
    The check (un-cashed) his draft notice, his draft card, DD214, and several other papers and pictures are stapled to the wall in his garage.
    He has never applied for for any veteran benefits.

He was told many tears ago that if the check was not cashed nor deposited it would be void...

Some may not always agree.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

The irrigation canal formaly known as the Rio Grande
    Last edited by JDogger; 12-27-2015 at 09:44 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by steve hoppas View Post
    I should have clarified this better, as in she did tell me this was his approximate salary per hour if you broke it down as per what he actually worked. I don't know if that was based on 40 hours or not.
    I am still trying to get some form of written documentation to verify all of this.
    "Like winds on the plains, sands in the glass, waves rolling in with the tide. dreams die hard and we watch them roll but we cannot be denied........The Fire Inside" Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

Base Pay E4 over 3 years is $26856 as others have stated no allowance for quarters or food if you live in the barracks. As for the leave (not vacation) the 30 days per year is different than civilian vacation, for example if you depart on leave on a Monday and return the following Monday depending on when you return you will be charged for 7 or 8 days leave. Weekend days and holidays when you are on leave are charged as leave days, unlike vacation time for civilian vacation where weekends and holidays are no charged against your vacation. Also you cannot accumulate more than 60 days leave, anything over at the end of the fiscal year is lost.

The line has always been short to enter the military.............................

I have not found any mention of it on a news search. I would have a hard time believing that it wouldn't be in the news at least somewhere. During the government shutdown IOU's were going to be issued to troops in lieu of pay, but that situation resolved before it happened.

In the Navy at least loss of pay was not uncommon in article 15 hearings. There is either more to this story or it is BS.
    "It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." - Bill Murray