IOU from the Military - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IOU from the Military

I really, really question the source. To begin, get the amount he's being paid as a salary (monthly) so that a comparison can be made to the military pay charts. It sounds like she's using one number for stateside salary (40 hrs per week) and a vastly different number for his time overseas. That's not the way it works.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I really, really question the source.
    I seriously doubt the story,.......but didn't think we had a "source" to doubt.
    If so who is the "source"

I live in Fayetteville NC home of Ft. Bragg where the 82nd is at. There is no truth to this what so ever. If so it would have been all over the local and national news. The original post states the guy is a Sergeant (E5) with 4yrs of time in. So base pay for an E5 with 4yrs in service is $2581 a month. If he's in the 82nd he is also airborne which means he gets another $150 a month in jump pay. Since he is married and living off post he also receives $1236 a month as Basic Allowance for Housing and then another $362 a month for Basic Allowance for Sustenance. His total gross income is $4329 and month or a total of $51,948 a year. Not too bad I'd say. The Army doesn't issue IOU's. Even when the Govt. was shutdown the military still got paid.

Also if you were to take the gross income and divide it by the typical 40hr a work week time frame it would come out to $24.975 and hour. However, technically as a service member you are considered on duty 24 hours a day even though you normally work a basic work week unless deployed or in a training period and about to be deployed.
    Last edited by Jim Danis; 12-30-2015 at 04:48 PM.
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble)

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Danis View Post
    I live in Fayetteville NC home of Ft. Bragg where the 82nd is at. There is no truth to this what so ever. If so it would have been all over the local and national news. The original post states the guy is a Sergeant (E5) with 4yrs of time in. So base pay for an E5 with 4yrs in service is $2581 a month. If he's in the 82nd he is also airborne which means he gets another $150 a month in jump pay. Since he is married and living off post he also receives $1236 a month as Basic Allowance for Housing and then another $362 a month for Basic Allowance for Sustenance. His total gross income is $4329 and month or a total of $51,948 a year. Not too bad I'd say. The Army doesn't issue IOU's. Even when the Govt. was shutdown the military still got paid.

Also if you were to take the gross income and divide it by the typical 40hr a work week time frame it would come out to $24.975 and hour. However, technically as a service member you are considered on duty 24 hours a day even though you normally work a basic work week unless deployed or in a training period and about to be deployed.
    So if I read it right, the allowances are not taxed, so a little better than $19,000 in untaxed funds. Is that correct?

The "source" is the friend of the daughter of Randy Spangler. I have no reason to believe she is credible and a significant belief she is not. Se sounds like one of the college folks running around disrupting things over issues they know nothing about. Since she's from Beloit College, we are led to believe, even moreso. Beloit is one of those bastions of liberal arts.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    So if I read it right, the allowances are not taxed, so a little better than $19,000 in untaxed funds. Is that correct?
    That is right. The base salary and the jump pay are taxed. The allowance for housing and sustenance are non-taxed. Taking that into account in the example above that $51948 total salary is really the equivalent of a total salary of about $57,700 if the non-taxables were actually after tax dollars.
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble)

Just asking, is that an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCreek View Post
    Just asking, is that an issue?
    Just trying to be informed.