RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

First Time Puppy Buyer

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Ironwood 
#1 ·
I'm a first time buyer and I'm looking for a labrador retriever puppy! I've been looking for a while, and the more I've looked, the more difficult it has gotten. My dad and I are looking for a great hunting companion as well as a good house pet. We're looking for a female with a great off switch. We're located in Georgia, but don't mind traveling too far. We prefer fox reds, but we're looking for a good dog rather than it's color. Certifications are a necessity. We're going to train the dog ourselves. We'd like to have a dog before May. If you know of any great breeders or any good advice, let me know! Thanks.

#3 ·
Would you be interested in a black puppy?

#5 ·
Clanton/Malphus DVM clinic is located on Pine Tree Blvd in Thomasville. Many of the winter dog people use Dr. Beckey and the staff there.
They often have info on their bulletin board. All the staff are very nice and very friendly and helpful. They might know of some litters.
Look at 2134 E Pinetree Blvd Thomasville GA 31792 (229) 226-1914 Visit: cmhvet.com
There are many FT as well as HT retriever competitions in the area. They are good place to meet people and watch and ask questions. Literally couple hundred people down there for winter training. Going to some of HT and FT and chatting with people might be useful to you to meet people and see dogs work. Look in Entry Express for list of what is being run. Write me if you have questions I can help you with. I live there in winters as do many dog people.
I rarely look at PMs so just write me at address with my name below..

Marilyn J Fender,
Windstorm Retrievers - Wisconsin and Georgia
Home of 1996 NFC FC AFC Storm’s Riptide Star and birthplace to QAA of 2000 CNAFC CFC CAFC Quik Windstorm
and others growing up and learning.... contact mf96nfc@centurytel.net

#11 ·
Nothing wrong with that. Might want to ask how/what conditions the puppy has been raised in. A lot of breeders can get the pup started on potty training even before 8 weeks depending where/what surface the puppy is raised on. Getting one at 12 weeks means they're a lot more likely to hold their bladder longer, which will make it easier. Still plenty of time for bonding. Just take your time and make sure it's the dog you want...it's your buddy for the next 10-15 years.

#15 ·
Why a female? Why a particular coat color? There are terrific pups available on this website, just look under Labrador pups for sale. You did say you were looking for a hunting dog. You should find most if not all would b meet your criteria for having a pup develop with your dedicated training turn into a fine hunting dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.