Dog Killing the Lawn?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Dog Killing the Lawn?

Default Dog Killing the Lawn?

Now that the snow has melted noticing what appears to be many spots of dead/ yellow grass where the dog typically pees. Anything that can be done about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

lime the lawn
    Darrin Greene

Male dog?? In my own pet history I have seen that with male dogs more than females, something to do with the acidity I think, but not sure. I would have the soil tested to see what it needs. Your local state coop extension should be able to help, some areas have very different soil. For example I could acidify the soil enough to keep certain landscaping plants alive. We had to change plant type.
    I also remember once as a kid we spread the horse manure thinly on the lawn, when the snow melted the grass was yellow due to a lack of nitrogen, but that should not be an issue with urine!
    Last edited by NateB; 02-22-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Male dog?? In my own pet history I have seen that with male dogs more than females, something to do with the acidity I think, but not sure. I would have the soil tested to see what it needs. Your local state coop extension should be able to help, some areas have very different soil. For example I could acidify the soil enough to keep certain landscaping plants alive. We had to change plant type.
    I also remember once as a kid we spread the horse manure thinly on the lawn, when the snow melted the grass was yellow due to a lack of nitrogen, but that should not be an issue with urine!

My exp has been the opposite. Females seem to be worse for burning grass than males. But, males do pee ON things and don't empty their bladder in one location after they've matured and started marking.

Some people say adding cranberry tablets to the dog's food helps.
    The way I look at it, every dog is an opportunity to be a better trainer, and every day is a new day to be a better trainer to the same dog we trained yesterday.

Thanks. I have owned 3 males and seems each of them have done damage to the lawn/ plants, but this one seems to be more potent than the previous ones. I see there are some lawn treatments, wondering if there is an additive like the tablets Tobias mentions that are proven.

I have never heard of the cranberry tablets but I do know that tomato juice in the food helped my lawn out.

I agree with Tobias. We have only had problems with females.

We us Lawn Guard from dr foster and smith with excellent results. I'm guessing it would work on male dogs also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    My exp has been the opposite. Females seem to be worse for burning grass than males. But, males do pee ON things and don't empty their bladder in one location after they've matured and started marking.

Some people say adding cranberry tablets to the dog's food helps.
    Bob

http://lonewillowkennel.com/at-stud.html

A Sportsman is gracious in defeat, humble in victory and appreciates the opportunity to compete. HPW

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    lime the lawn
    Darrin is right on!
    As a hay producer I understand the importance of a balanced P.H, urine is Acidic and needs Lime applied, and you can do this all winter long as I would guess it's (they ) are females and peeing in the same spot. When the snow melts and the water enters the soil so does the urine. If you have males buy or make a fire hydrant so they can lift their leg in the same spot(s).
    Many people believe the grass dies in the winter, not true it's just dormant, the top is dead but the roots are alive and well. Since we don't get snow (none to speak of), I would apply lime all winter long in small sprinklings on the yellow spots, this should eliminate the bare patches come spring. Don't forget to pre-emerge and fertilize in the spring.
    One 40# bag of "super fine" lime should cost about $15, (a soil test will cost a lot more) not sure cause we buy by the ton .
    Last edited by Terry Marshall; 02-24-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    There is something about the outside of a dog which makes the inside of man feel good

How much lime should I put down? Can too much lime kill grass?

No but too much is not good either, but will not kill your grass, just cost you more money and time.
    PH balance is the key. You should keep your soil around 7.2 to 7.4 PH, you might be able to check this level with a swimming pool water gauge by mixing soil retrieved from a 8-12 " depth and mixing with some bottled water. (I would test the water first, get a PH level then mix it with soil and see if it goes up or down). I would suspect that a 40 # bag would last a year depending on your dog count. Lime will leach thru your soil in my ground but only because we have sandy soil, in your world and me coming from T Bay, I would think you'd get little leach thru, very tight soil as I remember, not sure where Andover is.
    Tell us, girls boys breeds and numbers.
    There is something about the outside of a dog which makes the inside of man feel good