She's Comin home! Back from Training!
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: She's Comin home! Back from Training!

Default She's Comin home! Back from Training!

Hey everyone, i'm going to pick up my dog from intermediate gun dog training in one week ! I'm so excited to get her home and start on new training. The training covered FF, on and off leash OB, E collar conditioning, whistle recall, quartering skills, working in and out of boats, lots of birds ect... and much more over 10 weeks. She will hunt waterfowl the majority of the time and a little upland plus AKC or UKC hunt tests. I just got the TRT mike lardy DVD set and fowl dogs set. My question is can i jump from her being at training straight to one of these dvd sets to teach the more advanced training like blinds and multiply retrieves. Are all the basics the same so it wouldn't matter what program i choose? If anyone has any experience with this that would help a lot thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Has your trainer made any recommendations? They would know what best supplements their training.
    Tom Dorroh
    Boston, GA

No not yet other than send her to advanced training. ill ask. thank you

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

To start blind training, you'll need to go through Force to pile and t-work(mini-t and double-t) first. Those are both covered in TRT and Fowl Dawgs. Multiple marks are briefly covered in Fowl dawgs and more extensively in Total Retriever Marking. You can sign up for BowWowFlix and view it along with several other great training DVDs. Based on the description of the training she's been through, I would think she's already started on multiple marks(at least simple doubles)

Not knowing where she started that is a lot for 10 weeks of training. You definitely need to be asking your trainer what to do.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Do not assume she is ready for "advanced" training if she doesn't have a strong foundation of basics. If you don't have the basics, you will have holes in trying to do advanced training. It sounds like she is just CC and FF and had minimal gundog training. You need to start in the beginning after FF and CC. Ask the trainer for sure. Most programs require another 3 to 4 months before they will be ready for blinds.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Thanks for all the help, I don't think she will ready for "advanced training" just yet but more of transition and then advanced. I left a message for my trainer and hope to get back to him soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchanderson24 View Post
    Thanks for all the help, I don't think she will ready for "advanced training" just yet but more of transition and then advanced. I left a message for my trainer and hope to get back to him soon.
    At the top of this web page there are some advertisement banners. There is one for Mike Lardy, and if you click on it the web page your taken to has some pull down menu's. Select the one for resources and click on the flow chart. I think you'll find that your getting out ahead of yourself. You will see your probably not really ready for transition work yet either. Talk to the trainer who has your dog as the others have recommended.

Ok I'll check it out thank you