5 Month Lull?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: 5 Month Lull?

Default 5 Month Lull?

Hi! So my labrador pup is almost 6 months old. She's an incredible dog and has loved to retrieve. Recently though, she has become a little more lazy outside when we're retrieving. I don't know if it's the summer heat or if it's a 5 month lull. I just want her to have fun retrieving outdoors again. She's great with sit and place and heel, but she just gets really tired really quickly outside to where she just doesn't want to retrieve. Is this normal? My dad and I are training her together, but since he works, I'm usually the one training throughout the day until he gets home. He's starting to get a little bit frustrated and thinks we're not doing something right. All this time I've been following the videos and trying to see what's best for Remi, the dog. People have told us that she is above average for her age, but I just don't want that to go away, you know? Inside, all she wants to do is retrieve, but as soon as we go outside, she wants to dig or lay down in the shade. I don't want to push her to disliking retrieving, but I don't want her to be lazy. I try to retrieve in the mornings and afternoons, but in Georgia it's already 70 degrees. Can't escape the heat. She needs to get used to it to some amount for dove season, but I'm still not sure if it's just the heat because she does SO well some days. I'm at a loss. Any of you guys experienced this with your puppy? Let me know what y'all think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Does she have all of her adult teeth in? Her gums may still be sore and thus retrieving isn't as fun when it hurts. Are you using something different inside than outside to throw? Also, at 6 months old its normal for them to want to sniff around and play. She is still a puppy, don't over think it. Try not to throw anything for her for 2 days, take her on walks and let her sniff around. After a couple of days tease her with a toy or her favorite bumper and only throw it twice. Put it away and leave her wanting more. Cut the retrieving down to once a day and keep it fun.

She doesn't have all in yet, but getting there. That makes sense. We don't really use bumpers inside because we don't have too much space and they're loud and clunky so usually we just let her mess with a tennis ball, which, I've learned, is not favored among a lot of trainers. We've stopped training with tennis balls for that reason, except to get her excited on occasion, but that's usually what we toss around the house. Okay, I think I can do that. More walks could probably get her more used to the heat, I guess. I'll try that out, Casey. Thanks so much.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I am in Tennessee, and my 10 month old BLM has had a completely different excitement level since its jumped up into the 80s/90s outside. I try to do the real work with him in the early mornings and late nights. Plus, the threads on here about overheating have scared the heck out of me.

With a dog at this age training sessions should be short and sweet, 5-10 minutes once or twice a day. If you give a young dog to many retrieves they may become bored and uninterested. Remember always put a young dog up wanting more.
    Daniel Overstreet
    HRCH Sur-Shot's All Riled Up MH "Riley"
    SHR Hollie's Chocolate Delight "Hollie"
    All Riled Up's Nevermore "Raven"
    All Riled Up's Giving Advice "Abby"

Sounds good, thanks guys!

You wouldn't stick your 2 year old toddler out in the heat to get them used to it, neither should you worry about this with your 5 month old puppy. Worrying about conditioning your dog to heat will only be counterproductive and potentially dangerous. Dogs, like people, can cope with heat and cold better when they are adults and fully grown--that is not to say you will be able to run ANY retriever on the dove field or training when it is pushing 90. There are far greater fish to fry than conditioning your dog to X element, especially at this age. Enjoy having a puppy, they grow up far too fast.

PO