Today
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today

Default Today

I have been a vet tech for over 30 years, the last 17 as a specialty tech for Internal Medicine. I work in a very busy 24 hr ER and specialty hospital. Today an 8 year old golden came in and collapsed in the waiting room. Ultrasound showed Abdominal, pleural (chest) and pericardial (sac around the heart) fluid as well as a large right side heart mass. A tap showed the fluid to be blood. Hemangiosarcoma. All too common in our breed and unfortunately seen even in 5-6 year old dogs. The owners were devastated. Their dog was completely normal just yesterday. How could he be dying? What did they miss? Isn't there anything they can do to save him? Unfortunately no. A heart rending and all to sudden decision to be made. I stayed with them throughout and told them about my own dogs, 2 goldens and a pit bull, loss to hemangio. So sudden. The owner generally did not go home for lunch, but for some reason decided she would today. When she got home she heard the abnormal breathing and noted that the dog didn't greet her, something that never happened. Just luck she did go home. She got to spend the last few hours with her dog and he died with his owners there, no alone at home.

Fenway wasn't a hunting dog or a breed champion. I don't think he was trained to do anything but he was a lovely dog and was well loved in return. His owner asked how she would deal with going home and not having him there. Waking up and not having him greet her. I had no real answers. I told her to plant a memorial garden, find it in her heart some day to love and cherish another dog.

I see injury, illness and death almost daily, but Fenway hurt a bit more. Next time I get upset because my dog messed up the triple or blew me off on a blind, I will think about Fenway, and how much not having them would mean. Reality check.

Dawn Terrill CVT VTS (SAIM)
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade UD MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness WCX; Adirondac Tippy Canoe CDX MH WCX; Adirondac White Water Adventure

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It is tough. I lost my 13 year old lab Smokie yesterday to Hemangiosarcomas of the spleen with vascular neoplasms and metastases to lungs and maybe brain.
    Just a few weeks ago he seemed fine. Then diarrhea and lost interest in eating even jazzed up food. Had a few vestibular episodes. Last week x-rays showed masses and blood work not good. A 4 day weekend on good dose of prednisone brightened him up enough to eat chicken/rice and a return to normal so to speak.
    Spleen rupture likey imminent so letting him go was only choice.

I really dislike this part of owning dogs as I feel so awful being responsible for ending their life.
    Im now dogless wishing i could have a puppy now.
    Last edited by Breck; 06-28-2016 at 06:37 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I am so sad to hear about this. I lost my jack russell to lymphoma last Monday. He was truly one of a kind, at least in my eyes. We battled with chemo for about 2 months, but he didn't respond well. The diagnosis back in April was also a huge surprise, he was 12 years old but in excellent health... I couldn't believe it. Only difference in my situation is I had a few months to say goodbye to him, something I wish every dog owner had the opportunity to do. Prayers are being sent for you, Breck, and the owner of the golden. I know exactly how you all feel right now!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

So sorry for you both. I lost my avatar dog to lymphoma. Treatment gave me a year of good times I wouldn't have had. I hope you can get a puppy soon Breck. I can't imagine being without.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade UD MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness WCX; Adirondac Tippy Canoe CDX MH WCX; Adirondac White Water Adventure

I lost Dusty of Hemangiosarcoma of the lungs. He was 8. He was MY first Lab and it hit really hard.
    Pattii

HRCH UH Magnum MH WC (500 points) 9/11/94 - 5/9/07
    HRCH UH Dusty (500 points) 2/5/98 - 11/15/06
    HRCH UH Ria CGC (1520 points) 3/2/02- 8/6/12
    HRCH UH GRCH UROC Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CD AKC/ASCA-BN PCD RE ASCA-RN RL2 AOE RATN RATI SPOT-ON 2x UKC TOTAL DOG & HRC 500 POINT MEMBER - Emma (545 points)
    HRCH GRCH UCD UROC Benton's Opus Pocket Change AKC/ASCA-BN PCD RE ASCA-RN RL2 AOE RATN SPOT-ON 2x UKC TOTAL DOG.- Penny (100 points)

This part of dog love and ownership is so hard. I've been very fortunate to have Shadowbrook's Charlie Brown (11+yrs) for 4 extended months. The diagnosis and prognosis of a "hemo" something or other on his heart was just too devastating for me to come to grips with or comprehend. I look at him every day and he seems so 'normal' and that's what I'm going for. Charlie is my 'once in a life time' Labrador. Charlie is a JH, RE, CDX, Pet Partner Therapy Dog, and R.E.A.D. (Reading Education Assistance Dog). When I get the opportunity to have him for one more day, that's a good day. He loves the hunt test game. Although I no longer run him in tests, he walks and carries a bumper for the test set ups for my other and new Chocolate Brown boy, Hunt Club Clayview Whatcha Been Doin? JH, aka, BEN!. DAMN, it never is easy or good.
    Bless you and your K9 buddy.
    Kathy Mauzy

My Mullins will be 15 this August and every day is a blessing and a gift. He does have issues but we deal with them. As long as he still walks, meets you at the door, eats and goes out to potty and roll in the grass he will be with us~~
    By the way, a not so new dog pull toy is his favorite toy these days. You pull the string and the dog waddles a distance....no battery

Freya

So sorry to hear this Breck. I had to put down one of my Goldens (he was MY boy) about 18 years ago. I still think about him all the time. I have since switched to Labs and have a real nice BLF. I just bred her and plan on keeping one because I cant be without a dog with me. Again, sorry to hear of your loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    It is tough. I lost my 13 year old lab Smokie yesterday to Hemangiosarcomas of the spleen with vascular neoplasms and metastases to lungs and maybe brain.
    Just a few weeks ago he seemed fine. Then diarrhea and lost interest in eating even jazzed up food. Had a few vestibular episodes. Last week x-rays showed masses and blood work not good. A 4 day weekend on good dose of prednisone brightened him up enough to eat chicken/rice and a return to normal so to speak.
    Spleen rupture likey imminent so letting him go was only choice.

I really dislike this part of owning dogs as I feel so awful being responsible for ending their life.
    Im now dogless wishing i could have a puppy now.

Well Said!!!!

It's gotta be tough to see the things that you do daily.

We lost our 12 1/2 year old Female Black Lab last July, she passed away right there by us in the hallway of our house. I was thankful it was quick, and I didn't have to take her into the Vet.

She was my first Lab, my dream dog!!! My family really loved her and we miss her. We took off to South Dakota that very next morning to bury her on the land I go pheasant hunting. I wanted nothing less for her. I wanted to visit her every year when I go back hunting.
    Never ran her in Hunt tests, I didn't really know they even existed.

I bought my new pup, 2 years old now, and he has champion blood lines, so I visited the retriever club and have been working with him since he was a pup. They are special and it's so hard to lose them!

Spoil them, take care of them, have fun with them, because you never know the day you'll lose them!

Quote Originally Posted by mostlygold View Post
    I have been a vet tech for over 30 years, the last 17 as a specialty tech for Internal Medicine. I work in a very busy 24 hr ER and specialty hospital. Today an 8 year old golden came in and collapsed in the waiting room. Ultrasound showed Abdominal, pleural (chest) and pericardial (sac around the heart) fluid as well as a large right side heart mass. A tap showed the fluid to be blood. Hemangiosarcoma. All too common in our breed and unfortunately seen even in 5-6 year old dogs. The owners were devastated. Their dog was completely normal just yesterday. How could he be dying? What did they miss? Isn't there anything they can do to save him? Unfortunately no. A heart rending and all to sudden decision to be made. I stayed with them throughout and told them about my own dogs, 2 goldens and a pit bull, loss to hemangio. So sudden. The owner generally did not go home for lunch, but for some reason decided she would today. When she got home she heard the abnormal breathing and noted that the dog didn't greet her, something that never happened. Just luck she did go home. She got to spend the last few hours with her dog and he died with his owners there, no alone at home.

Fenway wasn't a hunting dog or a breed champion. I don't think he was trained to do anything but he was a lovely dog and was well loved in return. His owner asked how she would deal with going home and not having him there. Waking up and not having him greet her. I had no real answers. I told her to plant a memorial garden, find it in her heart some day to love and cherish another dog.

I see injury, illness and death almost daily, but Fenway hurt a bit more. Next time I get upset because my dog messed up the triple or blew me off on a blind, I will think about Fenway, and how much not having them would mean. Reality check.

Dawn Terrill CVT VTS (SAIM)

Most GR owners know about this study but other breed owners may not.
    https://caninelifetimehealth.org

A worthy organization for donations too.
    http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.or...ne-cancer.html