New to Forum. Looking for some advice on getting into hunt tests.
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum. Looking for some advice on getting into hunt tests.

Default New to Forum. Looking for some advice on getting into hunt tests.

Hi everyone.

My name is Andrew, I have a beautiful 3 year old male named Tanker. He is from Tiger Mountain Pointing Labs in Washington State.

He has had a couple of pretty good seasons the last two years and I am really proud of the work he has done.

That said, I would like to use him as a stud dog, and am getting a lot of scoffing because he has not yet earned any titles.

So. Where do I start? Should I sign him up to test straight away or go observe some tests first? Should I focus on the Pointing Lab tests? Or also do AKC?

I have some pictures of him up at my blog Taking Game, apparently I can't link that here because I am a n00b. So, lower case, all one word, then a dot com

I have been an amateur handler with a few goldens and labs since I started hunting. I am not an expert by any means, but I love seeing a retriever live up to its potential. I'll be honest and say that at this point I feel as though Tanker's potential is greater than what I have trained him to, and that I need to get some goals so that he can be challenged beyond what I have worked for. I wanted to get into trials with him, but my wife gave birth to our first child half a year before we got Tanker, and we have had a second since. So all of my training has been focusing on him being a hunting dog.

Any advice moving forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to RTF.

Go watch a hunt test. Any venue, they each have their own merits and one will fit you better than another. By venue I mean AKC, HRC, NAHRA, and APLA if you choose to certify his point.

Maybe a little more detail about Tanker's retrieving abilities would help. Can he pick up a double? a triple? How are his blind skills? Can he crispy complete a 150 yd blind with a few whistles and not caving to factors like wind, suction, cheating water etc.

Good studs are a dime a dozen, unfortunately. You're competing against the best dogs of the past 25 years and someone's dog always has more accomplishments or a "nicer" pedigree. Not saying don't stud your dog, just that the market forces will not be beating down your door
    4xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

https://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

So Pete really nailed it on the head. You can get a lot from Youtube, in terms of HT footage, but I would definitely go out and watch some in person. The whole process really begins in the holding blind, as you get called to the line, ect. I agree completely that training towards a title (at any level) gives you a clear and concise standard to reach for- that's how I got in to it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

He has done quite a few doubles, some triples as well while hunting. In terms of training for what is expected in the hunt tests though, based on what I have seen, his experience in hunting may not help him much on triples. Where we hunt here in Idaho we are on a river, and the birds are not stationary like they often seem to be in the hunt tests that I have viewed youtube. He marks pretty well, but he is also used to birds moving downstream. On a long retrieve, by the time he gets back from battling the Snake River to retrieve bird number 1, birds two and 3 are sometimes out of site and downstream quite a way. If most of the birds were shot near our spread and nothing is crippled, then it is simpler.

I don't mean to sound like I am making excuses for what he can do. In a more controlled environment without a flowing river, he has done just fine on triples and doubles, most of the retrieves have been between 50 and 100 yards, sometimes with cover, other times without. Just depends on where we are.

150 yard blind? To be honest, I believe he could do it but I am not sure I have done one with him out to that distance.

When a mark drifts away the judges will judge your dog to where the bird went down, (the area of the fall.) I would have to ask more experienced folks about whether a savvy hunting dog that feels a current and adjusts his line accordingly would be penalized. I expect not... but someone else would have to give you more details. Your dog's experience sounds like there's a lot of potential. A memory to handle a triple is great. Does he take a line on a blind and can he handle? When you run the higher levels of the AKC HT's his blinds will be in-between marks and maybe even under the arc of a previous marks. He may have to be pulled off a mark and sent on a "poison bird" blind... that sort of thing.

I bet you'd really enjoy the game. Get to some HT's and check out the Senior and Master (or equivalent in other venues). You are way too far along for the Junior.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

It takes more than titles to have a good stud dog. Temperament, pedigree, talent and health. If you're going to breed him, make sure to get all of his health clearances. There are plenty of excellent stud dogs with all of this and then some, so you'll have to figure out what makes him special (to others -- it's really easy to be kennel blind) if you want to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjcanderson View Post
    Hi everyone.

My name is Andrew, I have a beautiful 3 year old male named Tanker. He is from Tiger Mountain Pointing Labs in Washington State.

He has had a couple of pretty good seasons the last two years and I am really proud of the work he has done.

That said, I would like to use him as a stud dog, and am getting a lot of scoffing because he has not yet earned any titles.

So. Where do I start? Should I sign him up to test straight away or go observe some tests first? Should I focus on the Pointing Lab tests? Or also do AKC?

I have some pictures of him up at my blog Taking Game, apparently I can't link that here because I am a n00b. So, lower case, all one word, then a dot com

I have been an amateur handler with a few goldens and labs since I started hunting. I am not an expert by any means, but I love seeing a retriever live up to its potential. I'll be honest and say that at this point I feel as though Tanker's potential is greater than what I have trained him to, and that I need to get some goals so that he can be challenged beyond what I have worked for. I wanted to get into trials with him, but my wife gave birth to our first child half a year before we got Tanker, and we have had a second since. So all of my training has been focusing on him being a hunting dog.

Any advice moving forward would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    You have a dog from Tiger Mountain Pointing Labs and are able to hunt the Snake successfully?
    IMO…you don’t need to run any tests instead make sure the clearances are in order…
    If you broadcast to fellow hunters in our area and surrounding areas for stud services, IMO…you will have no problem, but make sure the bitch will enhance the breed and also have the clearances…
    Lastly….Welcome.

Many items you need to take into account for a stud dog, there are several different markets, but you need to make sure your doing it right. 1. The dog needs to have something worthy of reproducing, being a good representation of the breed,hunting instinct, good structure, nice temperament, built to last. 2. Health clearances (hips, elbows, genetic tests); to ensure your reproducing stock free of genetic issues 3. Performance titles proving the level of work your dog is capable of 4. Pedigree considerations...having a stud means people need to come to you so anything you can do, to make yourself marketable (titles etc.) is a plus. Also ensuring you keep a good pass record can help, so watch the tests, train and be sure your underwhelmed went you decide to run.

So let me clear up a few things.

Tanker's health certifications are all clear. That much has been done. All clear.

I'll admit that part of what prompted this post is that a friend of mine has a dam with whom an attempt to breed with Tanker happened last spring. Both dogs were young, neither had any experience. It didn't take. She informed me this week that her intention is to find an experienced stud dog next time around. I am new to this, but the dogs tied without issue, he didn't have any trouble mounting etc etc. Either way, this opportunity seems to be floating by like bird 2 and 3 if I am on the snake, and lucky enough to triple...

At home, as far as temperament is concerned, I have a three year old daughter and a 2 two year old son. We have two other "rescue" dogs, both lab mixes, both gun shy. One old as all get out, the other a few years older than Tanker, and who is gun shy because she was shot with a rifle in Texas when we lived down there, her and our old dog got along and so she turned out to be an accidental rescue... Tanker is without any question the best behaved most well mannered dog of the three, and has been so pretty much since arriving with us. Their bad habits have not had negative affects I can see on him. He is excellent at home.

In the field, last season he held absolutely still multiple times in brutal freezing cold conditions with ducks all around while we were waiting for an opportunity at geese coming off the river. Sitting at heel. Near motionless wait for our move. As far as drive and success, 400+ yard retrieve on a cripple who was diving. A dangerous situation. He returned with the bird to my hand (me sweating bricks the whole time watching him). Later in the season he was breaking ice to get a wounded goose that someone else shot and the bird took refuge on an ice patch near my side of the river. Tanker got stuck and then unstuck on the patch of ice, then relocated the bird, now out in the middle of the river, he retrieved it and brought it also to my hand.

He has monster drive and is the best lab I have ever been around, on or off the field.

His pedigree is fantastic, mostly on his fathers side. If he is weak on anything it has been my ability/knowledge to train toward a title. And as far as pointing labs go, while he has held point on pheasants and quail, he has had far less upland experience than he should have. I just hunt more waterfowl.

BJGatley, what area of the state are you in? I'm in the Treasure Valley.

Check your PMs. Message sent
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QA2

"Molly" Alder Creeks Molybdenum QAA