New to Forum. Looking for some advice on getting into hunt tests. - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum. Looking for some advice on getting into hunt tests.

I'll admit that part of what prompted this post is that a friend of mine has a dam with whom an attempt to breed with Tanker happened last spring. Both dogs were young, neither had any experience. It didn't take. She informed me this week that her intention is to find an experienced stud dog next time around. I am new to this, but the dogs tied without issue, he didn't have any trouble mounting
    I am assuming no progesterones were done. If he tied, it does not make any difference if he was experienced, he did his job. The timing could be wrong for the bitch and her cycle, and his sperm should probably be checked to make sure he is not sterile
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ErinsEdge View Post
    I am assuming no progesterones were done. If he tied, it does not make any difference if he was experienced, he did his job. The timing could be wrong for the bitch and her cycle, and his sperm should probably be checked to make sure he is not sterile
    I was thinking the same thing on both points, thanks.

AndrewJcanderson, it sounds like you have a very nice hunting dog that has proved himself to you and probably those you hunt with. The problem is someone looking for a stud usually wants more than just your word. Titling your dog proves he can do the work and could do the work long after he's passed and when people look to find a pup 10 years from now they can see what their new pup's great grandad accomplished.

Check this website out showing what it takes to gain each title.

http://www.crosscreekkennel.com/htexp.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Parks View Post
    AndrewJcanderson, it sounds like you have a very nice hunting dog that has proved himself to you and probably those you hunt with. The problem is someone looking for a stud usually wants more than just your word. Titling your dog proves he can do the work and could do the work long after he's passed and when people look to find a pup 10 years from now they can see what their new pup's great grandad accomplished.

Yeah, I do not disagree with that. Was talking with my Uncle about this just last night. Most people aren't simply going to take me at my word...

We always seem to ignore the other half of the equation.... Actually MORE than half,,, IMHO....the Bitch..

Its all about the bass.......
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    It takes more than titles to have a good stud dog. Temperament, pedigree, talent and health. If you're going to breed him, make sure to get all of his health clearances. There are plenty of excellent stud dogs with all of this and then some, so you'll have to figure out what makes him special (to others -- it's really easy to be kennel blind) if you want to succeed.

Whats going to make the LITTER special?
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    HRCH FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet MH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

You mentioned his clearances are all "clear" since you are new here we do not know you, what does that really mean. So can you get more specific please??
    OFA hip rating, elbow, Cerf eye exam, DNA testing is(EIC testing, CNM testing, RD/OSD) etc. Please let us know what specific testing he has had done.

Also, how about his pedigree, is he listed on huntinglabpedigree.com?? So we can look him up and see what dogs are in his background??
    Last edited by NateB; 08-18-2016 at 05:53 PM.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

OFA, CERF and DNA: CM, EIC, DM. All clear.

He is not the site you mentioned. He is akc registered. His dad is Teddy at pointinglabs dot com. 3xGrand Master Pointing Retriever, MH, QAA and a list as long as my arm of titled offspring.

His mom is Missy at the same site, sire by another GPMR and a CPR.

Hi Andrew,

It sounds like you've got folks interested in pups sired by your boy. Or at least someone who owns a female.
    Lots on RTF (or in the competitive side of retrievers) will advocate titling to 'prove' ability. A dog that is trained to a MH level (can run blinds and multiple marks) in the face of REAL hunting conditions, is a good canine citizen, and has proper conformation/coat, is I think, a potentially good stud dog (but that is me - everyone has their own ideas of what a 'breedable' dog is.....If you don't want to bother with titles (not sure I would, if you've got interest in people using him as a stud dog) I recommend you video some of your dog's hunts - or at least several of the retrieves he makes. Nothing like seeing how a dog works, and youtube is a great way to do that.

For me, the biggest responsibility I can see you having (after health clearances) is making sure the pups from any future breedings have a home in the case the puppy buyers are unable to keep the pup.... Some people will put this on the bitch owner, but stud owner should take some responsibility too, IMO. Lots of labs end up in shelters.
    Since you've gotten health clearances, you're way ahead of the ball game in that way.

As far as what you might expect for compensation of a non titled stud dog breeding - don't expect the same as you would get if he had his MH title. There are tons and tons of MH stud dogs out there.

As was mentioned, a sperm check is in order for your boy. I had a male that I tried to breed some years ago at age 4 - well bred chessie. It was a real big bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjcanderson View Post
    So let me clear up a few things.

Tanker's health certifications are all clear. That much has been done. All clear.

I'll admit that part of what prompted this post is that a friend of mine has a dam with whom an attempt to breed with Tanker happened last spring. Both dogs were young, neither had any experience. It didn't take. She informed me this week that her intention is to find an experienced stud dog next time around. I am new to this, but the dogs tied without issue, he didn't have any trouble mounting etc etc. Either way, this opportunity seems to be floating by like bird 2 and 3 if I am on the snake, and lucky enough to triple...

At home, as far as temperament is concerned, I have a three year old daughter and a 2 two year old son. We have two other "rescue" dogs, both lab mixes, both gun shy. One old as all get out, the other a few years older than Tanker, and who is gun shy because she was shot with a rifle in Texas when we lived down there, her and our old dog got along and so she turned out to be an accidental rescue... Tanker is without any question the best behaved most well mannered dog of the three, and has been so pretty much since arriving with us. Their bad habits have not had negative affects I can see on him. He is excellent at home.

In the field, last season he held absolutely still multiple times in brutal freezing cold conditions with ducks all around while we were waiting for an opportunity at geese coming off the river. Sitting at heel. Near motionless wait for our move. As far as drive and success, 400+ yard retrieve on a cripple who was diving. A dangerous situation. He returned with the bird to my hand (me sweating bricks the whole time watching him). Later in the season he was breaking ice to get a wounded goose that someone else shot and the bird took refuge on an ice patch near my side of the river. Tanker got stuck and then unstuck on the patch of ice, then relocated the bird, now out in the middle of the river, he retrieved it and brought it also to my hand.

He has monster drive and is the best lab I have ever been around, on or off the field.

His pedigree is fantastic, mostly on his fathers side. If he is weak on anything it has been my ability/knowledge to train toward a title. And as far as pointing labs go, while he has held point on pheasants and quail, he has had far less upland experience than he should have. I just hunt more waterfowl.

BJGatley, what area of the state are you in? I'm in the Treasure Valley.
    I live in eastern side... Blackfoot area.
    Please keep me posted if you decide to breed your boy... I would be very interested...
    Thanks much...
    BJ