HRC Seasoned water blind
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HRC Seasoned water blind

Default HRC Seasoned water blind

Would you expect to see decoys used in an HRC Seasoned water blind?
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    APR HRCH Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR HR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose
    CPR HR Lone Tree's Pocket Full of Change

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Actually, I would HOPE to see decoys used but that's just me.
    "Do more than is required of you"
    General George S. Patton

I would expect to see decoys in the Seasoned water blind, but they should be near the "line to the blind." Generally should be offset.

Also another point on decoys in all venues. I wish they would put out more than 3 or 5 decoys for authenticity. Who hunts with 3 decoys??
    4xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

https://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Balzer View Post
    I would expect to see decoys in the Seasoned water blind, but they should be near the "line to the blind." Generally should be offset.

Also another point on decoys in all venues. I wish they would put out more than 3 or 5 decoys for authenticity. Who hunts with 3 decoys??
    Since authenticity is needed. Can you fail for blowing a duck call that sounds like a kazoo? I may need to buy a new duck call.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenee Fadling View Post
    Would you expect to see decoys used in an HRC Seasoned water blind?
    I've only been running HRC for three years, but I can't remember a test that didn't have them. I will say I thought my dogs were ok with decoys because I throw some out when training from time to time. However, one dog I was running in seasoned on land discovered the first Candada goose decoy he'd ever seen. He checked it out and then went on and picked up the mark...had me sweating. Just last weekend, I had a female jump into the water for the memory bird and proceed ten yards on a direct line to the bird. She saw a decoy and turned 90 degrees left and swam to the decoy. Ended up handling her...we were otherwise clean and I had run with decoys all week long - I mean every day.

They have brains between those ears - can't ever tell what they are thinking.
    "The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail and not his tongue." - Author Unknown

HRCH Big Trax Candlewood's Katie Bar the Door MH "Kate"
    HRCH Big Trax Queen of Spades MH "Spade"
    Big Trax Gump's off Running "Chunk" RIP 12-30-15 - 07-25-17
    HR Big Trax Angels Among Us "Lucy"
    Big Trax Grady's Wild Card "Joker"
    Big Trax Little Rascal "Darla"
    Big Trax Drive Thru Delight "Tater"

I have seen anywhere from 3-4 decoys, to a full Canadian goose spread, but these were part of the marks. Specifically, interested in whether or not you're seeing them in the water on the way to the blind. I'm with Peter, in that if they are used, they should be close to the line/water entry point for a seasoned level dog.
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    APR HRCH Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR HR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose
    CPR HR Lone Tree's Pocket Full of Change

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Balzer View Post
    ...... Who hunts with 3 decoys??
    early season of the split I will hunker in a spot ducks fly to after the big spread main channel hunters shoot.
    I will put out one hen mallard and a couple teal decoys. I will limit out before the main channel fellers pour the second coffee.
    I used to put out dozens, I don't now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    early season of the split I will hunker in a spot ducks fly to after the big spread main channel hunters shoot.
    I will put out one hen mallard and a couple teal decoys. I will limit out before the main channel fellers pour the second coffee.

I have been thinking of using this technique in an area that gets a lot of pressure. Trying to find some small water to do it in. I use a canoe to get where I am going, so going lightweight is better.

Late season on public land 3-5 works pretty good for me.
    "Proud Member of Black Labs Matter Movement"

Default add info

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Location, location, location..... What you have said shows the power of scouting, being open minded, and watching the ducks. My buddy and I hunt N. Dakota with usually a dozen mallards, occasionally a dozen bluebill decoys too, and have had great shoots. If you are where they want to be then it does not take a big bunches of decoys.

I would not be surprised to see decoys in a seasoned water blind. A nice bunch they have to swim thru but not "too" close. In a Master test I once saw, the key memory mark was past a point of land, toward a second point of land. In between the spots, invisible from the line was a single decoy sitting there are bright and easy to see. Like it was teasing the dogs. Most dogs stayed with their mark and ignored the decoy. Something else to add to a training scenario, the ambushing decoy!!
    Last edited by NateB; 08-25-2016 at 06:51 PM.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH