Medical cert's for breeding
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical cert's for breeding

Default Medical cert's for breeding

OK, I tried to do a couple of searches but no luck, Can someone help me on what test I need to have done on my dog so I can breed him. That or what to search for? I believe there is one that has to be done before he is 2 is that not correct? He will be 2 in Dec so I need to get that one done soon.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Mark

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

What breed? That will determine some of the genetic tests.

For retrievers in general, OFA hips and elbows and eye. Eye anytime. Hip/elbow finals at 24 months minimum.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

Sorry, forgot that part, He is a Lab.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Hips and elbows after he turns two; EIC and CNM if you do not already know his status; eyes annually. If you are offering him as a stud dog, you should also consider PRA (progressive retinal atrophy, DNA test) and RD/OSD (retinal dysplasia that causes dwarfism).

Meredith

Thanks, I knew there was one test that had to be done around the 2 year mark. I plan on starting on these while home from work this time. I was also told he was ruled out for EIC by genetic's, I am not sure how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rig Magician View Post
    ... I was also told he was ruled out for EIC by genetic's, I am not sure how that works.
    Do yourself and the pups a favor and learn all you can about what these tests are for, why they are done, and what to expect if you get a less than favorable result from a test/xray. Knowing the genetics about your dog is a good, but knowing what he has to pass on can and will affect those who purchase a pup from any breeding he does. We all hope for clean - clear- good or better results, but that isn't always the outcome. Don't let pride get in the way of logic.

Having your dog tested is an investment in his future as a stud dog. Any female wanting to date him will want to know what he offers, and yes, it is important. To prove him to any reputable female you will need certificates in hand.
    HRCH UH TilHe CallsUsHome ~ Tilly

Thank you,
    I contacted my vet to get these started. They will be able to do some of them and will help me find the correct person to get the others done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rig Magician View Post
    Thank you,
    I contacted my vet to get these started. They will be able to do some of them and will help me find the correct person to get the others done.
    Make sure your vet is experienced doing OFA films for hips/elbows, if not, find one who is. You want good positioning from someone who knows what they are doing.

Eyes can only be done by an ophthalmologist. Go to www.ofa.org and look at the menu on the left side of the home page. Look at the individual subjects, like hips, elbows, eye, etc. That will give you some education. Read them all. OFA site also offers a list of the labs available to do various testing.

You can order the kits yourself and take your dog to vet to have them swabbed if you want the VPI verification, if not, you can swab the dog yourself and send in. I would urge you to do EIC, CNM, PRA/RD/OSD and go to www.pawprintgenetics.com and educate yourself a bit there. You are new and that is a one stop shop of sorts to get an idea of the various tests available by breed. If you want to further educate yourself, go to http://www.labradorcnm.com, www.optigen.com , http://www.vdl.umn.edu/services-fees...romuscular-eic, they are the developers of the tests for EIC, CNM and PRA and have more in depth information on their sites (and testing kits too).

Also, if you're going to do it, do it right and check your dog for dilute gene. Pawprints offers it, DDC does, https://vetdnacenter.com/, Vetgen and probably some others I don't remember off hand.

It can seem confusing and maybe overwhelming, but if you're going to breed, then educate yourself about health issues in your breed. And require the same testing for any female that wants to breed to your stud. They both need to have hips, elbows, eyes, one of them at least needs to be clear of the genetic conditions listed previously, in order to prevent producing affected offspring.

And brucellosis testing before breeding, each female that comes to you should have a current negative brucellosis test, for natural breeding anyway.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

Wow yes that is allot. I see I have allot of reading and probably allot of questions to come. Thanks for all the help. With the money I have tied up in him I want to make sure I do this right when I offer him up for Stud.
    Thank you.

I read on another thread that OFA does not accept DDS testing. I tried to find that on OFA's site but had no luck. Can someone help shed a light on that for me. If anyone knows a good place to do the Hips at in South La please let me know.
    Mark