Medical cert's for breeding - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical cert's for breeding

Quote Originally Posted by Rig Magician View Post
    I read on another thread that OFA does not accept DDS testing. I tried to find that on OFA's site but had no luck. Can someone help shed a light on that for me. If anyone knows a good place to do the Hips at in South La please let me know.
    Mark
    Not sure what you mean by DDS testing, but, OFA maintains the list of what labs they will accept results from for each test:
    http://www.ofa.org/dna_alltest.html?...r&btnShow=Show

EIC, CNM, Dilute, they will accept results from multiple labs. For PRA/RD/OSD, they will only accept from Optigen or Pawprints (in the US).
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs
    Rainmaker's Bella Luna, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Southern Gamble, MH/QA2
    Port Bay's TNT Dynamite, MH/QA2
    Rainmaker's Working Class Payday, MH/QAA
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH
    Rainmaker's Early Bird Special, MH
    Rainmaker's Pink Is The New Red, MH

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for that, I found that page finally on what labs they will accept for what. Optigen is crazy high on their prices. I set up a account with PawPrints and I am working on all the test there. Which of the Dilute test should I do?? There is D locus and E locus. Should I also do one of the trait test for the coats as well? Are these required or would they be worth it to offer him up for Stud?

Make sure you don't do his hips and elbows until her turns two or you will just have to do them again. D Locus
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for that, I found that page finally on what labs they will accept for what. Optigen is crazy high on their prices. I set up a account with PawPrints and I am working on all the test there. Which of the Dilute test should I do?? There is D locus and E locus. Should I also do one of the trait test for the coats as well? Are these required or would they be worth it to offer him up for Stud?
    Depends on his pedigree and what color he and his parents are, whether you need to test to see what color factor he may carry, if any. It does help to know if he carries any color factor as far as stud, yes.
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH

Kim, Thanks. His parents are both eeBB, and he was listed as eeBB on his Pedigree. Are the 2 I listed above the correct ones? Is there any others I should do? I just want to make sure that the D Locus and E locus are the correct ones I need to do. They may not even be required I am not sure. I am still learning at this.

Kim, Thanks. His parents are both eeBB, and he was listed as eeBB on his Pedigree. Are the 2 I listed above the correct ones? Is there any others I should do? I just want to make sure that the D Locus and E locus are the correct ones I need to do. They may not even be required I am not sure. I am still learning at this.
    So he's yellow with no chocolate factor, no reason to test for color factor if so. Here is a very good link to understanding the color. http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html

Dilute is "D" locus, it is the silver gene, it is not recognized as a coat color within the breed standard, you do that one to prove you have no "dilute" in your stud.
    Rainmaker's Redhead, MH

How about posting a link to his pedigree for those following this thread. Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Thank you Kim for sharing your knowledge and the information. These are good resources to have

This comment is intended to be in general response, not specific response to the OP. Sometimes we need to pump the brakes.
    Entering the world of breeding should be a sobering thought. There is a lot to learn not only about diseases but pedigrees, (who meshed with who, which sire produced winners,etc). It is your (stud and bitch owner) responsibility to be as knowledgeable as possible to be able to educate others, and to make good breeding decisions. Every single person on this board owns a good to great dog, but many people recognize that not all these dog need or should be bred. You can never breed any dog and get the same dog.
    Dogs considered for breeding should be in the prime of their competition careers and have significant accomplishments in addition to all the health checks. Trainability, I think is the one of the biggest keys to success next to desire to retrieve. Trainability is hard to quantitate, but is usually measured by achieving upper end titles, MH, GRHRCH, HRCH, QAA or field trials placements.
    I see many people get a really nice dog and we all want to think everyone else wants our dog too, so we should breed it. Take a good look at the litters advertised here and see the number of highly accomplished parents of litters. There is no shortage of well bred pups. If you are going to breed then you should have some idea of the market for the pups from that litter. Breeding is a very serious responsibility, not enough people are serious enough about it, everyone needs to be.

Hope this does not come off too "preachy", I just want people to really stop and think about what they really should be doing.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH