Medical cert's for breeding - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical cert's for breeding

Nate,
    Thanks for that. I was going to do another post on just this info. Things to look for before breeding. I do know that the Bitch will have to have all of her proper health checks. But the rest of the info was great. I am hoping to finish up Dukes SH this fall but time is running out. Next year we are planning to pursue his HRCH and on from there. I will also be working on his MH title.
    Now I know I am a little partial, but my dog is very trainable. It does not require allot of pressure to get him to succeed. His had great drive and several people have commented on that. Also I have heard the same thing from owners of his siblings. When at home he is a house dog and a great companion. But always ready to please and loves to retrieve. So I feel he has really good qualities as well.
    If there is any other info you care to share on this please do so. Or anyone else for that matter. Also please feel free to look at his Pedigree and tell me what y'all think. If you want to you can PM me as well.
    Again thank you for the wisdom and help.
    Mark
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/Pedigree.asp?id=91496HR To Late Duke PatulaHips: Good LR-224856G24M-PICNM CLearDM ClearEIC ClearHNPK ClearPRA-PRCD ClearRD/OSD ClearSD2 ClearHUU ClearNARC ClearD Locus D/D Non Dilute

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I also like to see a echocardiogram performed by a board certified (ACVIM) cardiologist, to rule out TVD, and any other heart anomalies, on both the studs dog and bitches. You can find a reduced cost cardiac clinic at some dog shows, at around $175 to $200

Thanks for the info Shelley, I will look in to that as well. I want to ensure any prospective Bitches that he is more than Healthy and ready to breed. I will look into this one after I get his Genetic test done and hip hips and eye done.
    Mark
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/Pedigree.asp?id=91496HR To Late Duke PatulaHips: Good LR-224856G24M-PICNM CLearDM ClearEIC ClearHNPK ClearPRA-PRCD ClearRD/OSD ClearSD2 ClearHUU ClearNARC ClearD Locus D/D Non Dilute

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I would also suggest you test him for EIC, HNPK (hereditary nasal parakentonsis) and thyroid. Know lots tests but the more you know what your dog carries you need to ensure bitch done the same so pups not affected a big responsibility IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Remitaz View Post
    I would also suggest you test him for EIC, HNPK (hereditary nasal parakentonsis) and thyroid. Know lots tests but the more you know what your dog carries you need to ensure bitch done the same so pups not affected a big responsibility IMO
    And might want to ascess what this dog has accomplished that would make him attractive as a sire!

Well so far I have the following test on the way from Paw Prints. EIC, CNM, DM, HNPK, RD/OSD, SD2, PRA-PRCD, NARC, HUU and D LOCUS. I am also going to get his eyes and hips and elbows checked as well.

We are working on his accomplishments at this time. I am hoping for him to have his SH this year. He got his HR and we will be working on his HRCH next year. He just started his field trials this year and he is doing good so far. As I said he has allot of drive and desire, and that is a trait in all his siblings that I have heard from.

Mark

To the OP, cute puppy picture on Hunting Lab Pedigree. Thanks for posting it. Dr. Nate excellent comments. Owning a stud dog might not be all it's cracked up (perceived) to be!!! Harry
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/

Thanks Harry, Like I said I am partial to him my self. But he is a dang good partner. He helped me get out and get going after having surgery to fuse a disc in my neck. We were together every day for several months while I was laid up.
    I know there is allot of good dogs out there. I figure I will just see what happens. If we can find a good one to breed him with that is health cleared then so be it. If not I have one hell of a companion and hunting partner.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rig Magician View Post
    Well so far I have the following test on the way from Paw Prints. EIC, CNM, DM, HNPK, RD/OSD, SD2, PRA-PRCD, NARC, HUU and D LOCUS. I am also going to get his eyes and hips and elbows checked as well.
    If the hips and elbows don't pass, no point in doing the rest. That's the order I do. In 5 years there will be more DNA tests and then breeders will have to go back to using common sense, and tests that rule out conditions that are not compatible with a good quality of life but have a significant incidence.
    Nancy P

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Nancy,
    Thanks. I kind of did that backwards there. I already have the kit coming for Paw Prints. I will do his Hips and Elbows in Dec. I am trying to find a place in south La to do it. I talked to my breeder and he said he goes to Brittmoore In Houston. He uses Dr. Mary Tatum. If I can't find anyone local I will Go there.
    Mark