Heard at an AKC hunt test..... - Page 4
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heard at an AKC hunt test.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    I know what I would have told her (with some authority). But that's just me.
    Today, yeah but then I was still pretty green. Only one judge heard her in the first series so they passed her on to the second. They both heard her in the second. I still enjoy the memory.
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~Rex Carr

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Often ask handlers in Jr and Sr during judges comments for a show of hands of who has read the rule book. It's surprising how few have.
    Ironwood's Hoosier Healer, MH
    (FC AFC Tiger McBunn X FTCH AFTCH Castille Creek Rivers' Ripple)
    Jesus Saves MH
    (FC AFC Land Ahoy X Field of Dreams Willow B d One)
    Kitlyn's Handsome Hooligan MH passed 2010 MN

I will sound like an idiot... but I have a rule book that is all underlined and highlighted and well thumbed. Prior to taking a judges seminar... I outlined it and cross-referenced it. But I still go mental at a HT... especially if I have an early number. (I hope this gets better the more experience I get.) At minor stakes, at test-dog/handler's meeting, there's little reason for judges and marshals not to take a minute or two to just quickly mention the major no-no's.

PS: Someone told me once to have a 3x5 card written out with everything you have to remember on the line and to read it while you're in the holding blind.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I will sound like an idiot... but I have a rule book that is all underlined and highlighted and well thumbed. Prior to taking a judges seminar... I outlined it and cross-referenced it. But I still go mental at a HT... especially if I have an early number. (I hope this gets better the more experience I get.) At minor stakes, at test-dog/handler's meeting, there's little reason for judges and marshals not to take a minute or two to just quickly mention the major no-no's.

PS: Someone told me once to have a 3x5 card written out with everything you have to remember on the line and to read it while you're in the holding blind.
    Tulip,

You don't sound anything like an idiot, and I think you are spot on! And I do think most judges try to help the new and quiet folks, but we do need to be considerant of all participants. A lot of the rule book is geared toward the judges and their qualifications rather than the handler. I like your suggestion of the 3X5 card and would go even 1 step further to suggest a more concise "standard" handlers rule or guide book. It gets cumbersome reading about judging qualifications in the current AKC rulebook in my humble opinion.

I for for one want folks to have a good time and welcome new folk to the sport. Might be the southern hospitality thing in me, but i think we have an obligation to do our best to pass things down to others. Pass or no pass. Try to help your fellow retriever owner whenever possible and reasonable!

Best to all!
    Clemson Tigers 2018 Football National Champions

That is a cool idea. There could be a "Handler's Primer".
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult