Heard at an AKC hunt test..... - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heard at an AKC hunt test.....

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

READ THE RULE BOOK BEFORE RUNNING A HUNT TEST REGARDLESS IT BEING AKC OR HRC. As a AKC judge who ran HRC it is always in your favor to know the rules.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Yes. Read the rule book.

But our club has plastic cards that are put up in the second to last holding blind with the most significant highlights. I believe they are there at the Senior stake. They are certainly there in the Junior. (The card just goes over the things the handler has to remember, the sorts of things that just disappear from one's mind under pressure.) The cards ought to be superfluous at the Master.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

I've marshalled at the line and last holding blind and it's amazing what I see come out of the last holding blind to the line. For example; junior dogs brought to the line on slip leads around the neck, name tags dangling from collars, and chain training collars. The judges were very kind and reminded the handler about the JHT rule regarding collars and leads. SH tests for example; flat collars, but no leads to the line. Luckily the judges didn't notice in the SHT the flat collar, but after the dog and handler ran the first series, I advised handler about the rule of no lead or collar restraints from the last holding blind to the line. Handler wasn't aware of no collar or lead restraints running a SHT. UGH! Read the rules. You and your dog might be fabulous and nail the test, but reading and following the rules and regulations will save your bacon and be the deciding factor of a call back with a pass or fail!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I heard not one but two judges at a Junior test tell all the handlers that they had to bring their dogs to the line without collars and had to use slip leads. Those judges clearly didn't know the rules either.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

I judged a Master once that had an experienced handler do a walk-up in the third series with the dog wearing a collar. I noticed it when the dog was returning I went to speak to my co-judge about what I was going to do and when I turned around, the handler and dog were headed for the truck already. These things happen.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    I heard not one but two judges at a Junior test tell all the handlers that they had to bring their dogs to the line without collars and had to use slip leads. Those judges clearly didn't know the rules either.
    That's another reason to read and know the rules. Sometimes you have to educate the judges - at any level.
    Good Dog Ranch
    Bob Swift

I reread the rules every fall as a refresher. Little things seem to change and I always forget something. I've always found it useful and to be honest, when marshalling, it helps to help the new people that are running, regardless of level. I remember my first tests and the marshals helped with hints as reminders, since you seem to forget the first few times you run a new level. Always calmed my nerves and it's amazing what you can forget.
    There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preparation, hard work and learning from failure. -Colin Powell

Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

GCH Boyne's Avian Investigator MH BN WCX CGC 'Ziva' (number 73!)
    Boyne's Criminal by Dezign at Rygwood JH 'Wykked' (criminal #2)
    Boyne's It Is What It Is SH 'Murphy' (hellion in training)
    ShadowGlen Ballyhoo O'Boyne SH CGC 'Bree' (really?)
    ShadowGlen Roundabout Campfyr SH CD CGC 'Coal' (the best)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    I judged a Master once that had an experienced handler do a walk-up in the third series with the dog wearing a collar. I noticed it when the dog was returning I went to speak to my co-judge about what I was going to do and when I turned around, the handler and dog were headed for the truck already. These things happen.
    What did you end up doing?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Dropped the dog. We went to the handler and spoke with her for a moment and then we got on with the test.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy") ... as is her daughter
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH WC ("Muse") ... gone now also
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie") ... also gone
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    NSDTR/CH Struan's Driving Us Crazy JH WCI ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge
    Honeyrun's Duchess of Argyll ("Socks")
    Dixie ... the "spare parts" dog

I believe the rule book is about 68 pages or so. I read a lot of books personally. Kinda tough to remember every sentence.

At some point you ran your first junior, senior, master, started, seasoned, finished, etc test right? Let's lose a little bit of the self righteousness guys and gals. How about we welcome new folks to the hunt tests, cover all areas of what is expected of the handlers and dogs prior to the test, and welcome questions...maybe even ask who's new to this particular test and give some common reminders and pointers. Some of these folks drove a fair distance to your test in an attempt to actually have some fun on the weekend. What if we actually make the newbies feel welcome and leave wanting to come back again pass or no pass?
    Last edited by jgsanders; 10-12-2016 at 01:50 PM.
    Clemson Tigers 2018 Football National Champions