New member, 1st question
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: New member, 1st question

Default New member, 1st question

I am a new member and thankfully I ran across this site, I look forward to learning a lot from the members here. I have owned 2 black labs in the past and sadly they both died, one from old age and the other one getting hit by a car trying to make it to a female that was in heat. After a few years I find that I have a love of labs that I just can't help which I'm sure all of you can relate to. My 2 labs I had, I sent them to retriever school but I am going to buy a new pup and attempt to train it myself. I know just enough about training to make me dangerous😀 I ordered the book 10 minute retriever by John Dahl, I was wondering if that was a good book to teach basic fundamentals as I have never attempted to train a dog. I apologize for this post being so long but I just wanted to give enough info to get the best responses from people who know more than I do. So, thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the Forum, Mag.

Here you will find all kinds of advice from people with lots of different opinions. Take what fits your style, the dog's style or particular goals for your dog, use it, tweak it and make it your own.

I highly recommend joining a local HRC or AKC club which is what I did 25 years ago here in Alabama. No matter the club, you will find folks who were in exactly the same shoes who are more than willing to offer advice and help. You won't find a nicer group of people anywhere.

Third, go watch local hunt tests. Each trainer has a particular style which is reflected in their dog. Whether you are just sitting in the gallery or have volunteered to marshal, throw birds etc. (they will accept your offer), you'll see people and dogs that fit your vision for what you want. Once you see what you want, you will either have a blueprint to imitate or someone to go talk to as a resource.

All the best. And most importantly, enjoy the dog.

Tom McGrath

Welcome Mag44 - hope you enjoy your new pup. I agree, it is hard not to have a retriever! I went about a year without a dog and realized I wasn't going to be able to last long without one. Thus the dog in my avatar/profile photo.

So - this question does get posted quite a bit here - and the general responses are
    these DVD's:
    Mike Lardy: total retriever training
    Bill Hillmann - training a retriever puppy, and a whole slew of others
    Rick Stawski - Fowl Dogs
    Dennis Voigt - 25 essential drills, training alone (can't recall the actual name)
    Evan Graham - Smartworks (I really like his Force Fetch DVD)

If you keep watch in the classifieds or put up a WTB - you may find you can pick these up for fairly inexpensive

you chose a great book, too. And if you are able, you may want to find a local retriever club to join.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

where are you located? Knowing where you are will help us to give you more localized info on where to go and who to see for info.....WELCOME TO RTF...
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Thank you all for the hearty welcome! I am from Arkansas so I'm a good 'ol redneck! LOL. Another question I was wondering also is my pup is going to be black with a very small patch of white on his chest. I also saw pics of his parents and the Dad was what they called a silver lab which I have never heard of and was wondering if anyone here knew anything about silver labs. His mom was a white lab. All the pups from the litter are registered and they all have papers. My question I guess is for all of y'all who I know are smarter than I am, should I be concerned about the Dad being silver or does it really not matter? I'd like to find out all I can about this and any info or insight into this would be greatly appreciated. And thank you again for the kind welcoming you have shown me.

If you haven't paid for this puppy yet you might consider passing on it, doing more research on labrador breedings (ask here) and find new puppy.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- 2016)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

yes you should be concerned about the dad being silver. Get a pup from a different litter. Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

Silver labs can have a lot of health and allergy problems. Not to mention they are not recognized as purebred labs by most, except their breeders who market them for exorbitant amounts of money.

Welcome to the RTF

I highly recommend Bill Hillmans stuff. It is an amazing program and fun to do with your dog.