Hunting a dog in 10 degree weather - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting a dog in 10 degree weather

I purchased booties this year after a -2 field hunt last year. My girls left paw got minor frost bite. Vet said I was lucky to not have caused nerve damage. Keep your dog dry and he will be warm. It's not a wasted hunt to take the dog back to the truck because it's to cold, a few volleys are not worth it.
    HR Tripple Js Miss Remi Roo

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I carry an extensive K9/human first aid kit and a wool military blanket in my ditch bag. The blanket is for pup in case of an emergency situation. Might not be a big deal in a fixed freshwater blind but we are running long distances in brackish water.
    Darrin Greene

If the weather is ten degrees, that usually precludes hunting from the boat, all casual water is frozen solid, only the fast moving water is liquid. In those conditions, hidden thin ice is my major worry. I loose sleep at night conjuring up images of my dog stuck in a hole way out beyond my reach. We've all heard stories and seen tv news stories of dogs being rescued. I am very-very careful hunting those conditions.

Regarding cold weather, I've found that if I can get my dog out of the blind every half hour or so, walk up or down the shore a bit, my dogs warm up fast just running around. I think my dogs get colder earlier in the year when we're hunting out of the boat for hours on end, water temp 32-34 degrees, air temp mid 30's. Bringing my soaking wet dog back in the boat after a long swim in almost frozen water, to barely shake of then sit still until the next retrieve, can lead to a too cold dog.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I would add to JR's post on moving water and ice. I was in KS hunting with a small group and skim ice and flows were on the small river. Dog came back from setting decoys with us and she was open from just under the groin all the way up to the rib cage. I only saw one bigger cut and that was on a human who fell on a coffee table and the glass broke.

Holy Crap says me! Skim ice is dangerous.
    John Cottenham aka jacduck in many circles before the internet

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Hunting in the San Juan here, the water is too fast to freeze except a tiny rim along the edge, but the surface turns to thick slush in those temperatures. Like John, I'll take the dog, go for a walk, and even throw a bumper to get his blood moving. Also, I carry a space blanket and wrap him up if its bad. The silver blanket doesn't seem to flare the birds bad, but I'm hunting on a farm with plenty of metal culverts and equipment, too. And, we go sit in the truck, turn on the heater, and warm up. Doesn't bother me much to warm up, either. So, be careful, watch the dog, let them warm up periodically, and quit while your ahead.

Chuck

or Get a Chessie...

Sorry, I had too do that.

I second the Bootie suggestion in any kind of frozen field. Frozen Wheat Stubble acts like little needles and wears the dogs out fast.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    LAURELWOOD'S GOT GEESE ON THE RADAR BB
    CHESAGROVE'S RED SKY AT NIGHT
    CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS HRC
    FALL LINE RETRIEVER CLUB AKC

I would like to hear more on peoples thoughts on whether or not the food prior to extremely cold hunt would be able to be processed for heat? I have heard of some people bringing a warm chicken broth for the dog during the hunt to help warm the dog what are peoples thoughts on this idea?

I would also like to hear peoples opinion on hunting a dog in timber with temps that the OP described. Harder or impossible to find dry land to let pups stretch their legs and warm up. Planning on running heater and will have extra jacket for in between retrieves.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbIII View Post
    I would also like to hear peoples opinion on hunting a dog in timber with temps that the OP described. Harder or impossible to find dry land to let pups stretch their legs and warm up. Planning on running heater and will have extra jacket for in between retrieves.
    I can tell from experience, it's actually 10 degrees right now (11:00 am), if it's that cold, finding actual liquid water is much harder to find than dry land. All our dry land is snow covered, but our dogs love and thrive on running snow. As to the warm broth, I've never tried that but think I will next season.

Any recommendations when hunting upland in single digit temps? Dogs are active, but any concerns or recommendations?