Iris or Uveal Cyst on Dog's Eye
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iris or Uveal Cyst on Dog's Eye

Default Iris or Uveal Cyst on Dog's Eye

My 7 year old black male has a uveal cyst on each pupil right now. He's always had them in his eyes, but they are typically small and usually fall to the bottom of his eye pretty quickly. He's always been an excellent marker, but I have noticed since he's had these big ones he can barely mark a duck that has fallen in the decoys. Can anyone tell me more about their experience with these cysts? Did it interfere with marking? Did you have them removed or just take your chances that it will fall off on its own? I've called the ophthalmologist about it and they told me it is a very expensive surgery to have them removed. At 7, I'm not sure it would be worth it, especially if they have a chance of coming back. Any insight on this would be great, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I have a 12 yo black male that was diagnosed with Uveal cysts about 3 years ago. I'm confused by your statement about them falling off, I thought they were actually in the eye itself? He has a few more of them than when he was diagnosed, we were told if they were getting numerous, and he seemed in pain, we would need to do something, I presumed it would be an expensive surgery or we would need to consider putting him down. When he was diagnosed, he was still hunting and his marking continued to be excellent. He is retired now due to other health issues, but his vision continues to be good, he doesn't miss much. His eyes are clear except for the cysts at the bottoms of the iris.
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    APR HRCH Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR HR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose
    CPR HR Lone Tree's Pocket Full of Change

The ophthalmologist that I saw when I first noticed them and when I was getting his eyes tested for breeding told me that they usually "fall off" on their own and go to the bottom of the eye and then go away over time. The difference between the ones he has now is that they are huge and are covering a big portion of his pupil rather than being at the bottom of his eye. I'll try to upload a picture.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

NitroCyst.jpg

You can see the largest cyst on his pupil and then one small one below it.

Many years ago my Golden Ret/Lab Ret cross had one that grew very large. I don't remember the exact year but I lost her at 14 several years ago. Her iris cyst was removed by a dog opthamologist using a laser. It was very easy if expensive if I'm remembering correctly. She later got another one that also grew very large but it disappeared by itself. The cysts were large enough to really interfere with her vision. The interesting thing was all the dogs waiting to be treated in the waiting room were labs, goldens or lab/golden crosses.

Marion Amidon

Quote Originally Posted by marion View Post
    Many years ago my Golden Ret/Lab Ret cross had one that grew very large. I don't remember the exact year but I lost her at 14 several years ago. Her iris cyst was removed by a dog opthamologist using a laser. It was very easy if expensive if I'm remembering correctly. She later got another one that also grew very large but it disappeared by itself. The cysts were large enough to really interfere with her vision. The interesting thing was all the dogs waiting to be treated in the waiting room were labs, goldens or lab/golden crosses.

Marion Amidon
    Thank you for this, Marion. Did you see the photo of my dog's cyst above? How large was your dog's in comparison to that one? For now, I am just keeping the marks simple for him and hoping they disappear on their own. He is 7 years old and based on the estimate the ophthalmologist gave me I cannot afford to get it removed at this time.

The cyst started very little but grew larger than the one you show. The second time it also started little and grew.

Marion

Are there eye drops to help them growing larger? I know there are drops for some issues..but no idea if for this specific one. Sorry to see this..
    Choctaw's Daring Greatly (10/19/2015)
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UDX MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **, UKC HR Finished & U-B Legs, OTCH Points, Utility B Win, Agility HIT (1/20/2001-7/24/2015)
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

My black Lab Gem-E had one several years ago. Dr and I watched it for a while until it appeared to grow. I had it removed. Dr tried lazor with no success so while Gem-E was under Dr went ahead and removed it with a needle inserted into the side of her eye. Got it all out and she healed fine. Never had any more appear. Cost around $1,500. total with several weeks recovery. Worth every penny to me for her to be able to train and compete safely. I would do it again, if needed. Her sight to me was as important as my sight. She is now 11 1/2 and I think this occurred when she was about 3 or 4 yrs old. I'm in Orlando and the surgery was performed locally. Dr Karyn Plummer. She is now in the Gainesville area. Excellent Dr with a great "pr" with her patients and their "parents".
    Cheryl and her 4-legged family,

11 yr old OTCH SHR UUD Licking Run Knapps VA Black Gem UDX3 OM2 VER RE JH WC ASCA-UD, hearing dog, "Gem-E" and
    3 yr old SHR Knapp's Virginia Librarian's Choice JH CD, future hearing dog, "Book", and

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
    UUD HR Knapp's Virginia Black Jewel UDX RE SH WC FFXOG FFXOP, "Jewel-E", 5/25/1998 - 5/5/2014

Jewel-E & Gem-E aren't my whole life, they've just made my life whole! Now Book, a new "chapter" in the family story.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Knapp View Post
    My black Lab Gem-E had one several years ago. Dr and I watched it for a while until it appeared to grow. I had it removed. Dr tried lazor with no success so while Gem-E was under Dr went ahead and removed it with a needle inserted into the side of her eye. Got it all out and she healed fine. Never had any more appear. Cost around $1,500. total with several weeks recovery. Worth every penny to me for her to be able to train and compete safely. I would do it again, if needed. Her sight to me was as important as my sight. She is now 11 1/2 and I think this occurred when she was about 3 or 4 yrs old. I'm in Orlando and the surgery was performed locally. Dr Karyn Plummer. She is now in the Gainesville area. Excellent Dr with a great "pr" with her patients and their "parents".
    Thanks, good to know. I have noticed they appear to be getting lower on the eye, so I am hoping they will fall on their own. I did some very easy marks with him today and he did great. Did your dog have trouble marking while she had the cyst on her eye?