Practice, Patience, putting it all together - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practice, Patience, putting it all together

thank you all for the input. I have experimented with my pup by just throwing bumpers to him and walking away. As he gets just about to me I turn around and squat and greet him with praise. After a few sessions of this I have been able to throw the bumper, continue to face him and just squat down to greet him. Again he brings the bumper to me and I can greet him with praise. I will need to work this for some time, as the habit he had developed was something that has been with him since he was very young. Im certain that I created it to begin with. Initially he had little drive, and in an effort to develop that, I would allow him to play tug of war to keep him excited then throw the bumper.

With that lesson in mind, I have been trying to prevent bad habits from forming. I also have learned that my dog does not do well with large amounts of pressure, probably because for his entire life I have been using light nicks with his training. So, when I say ear pinch, It really is more of my just putting my finger / thumb on his ear and his mouth opens. WIth the hold command, he at times does very well, and at other times does not. He has stopped spitting it out (for the most part) but still mouths it frequently. It seems to be that a lot of people really like HIllmann's philosophy and methods, but there seems to be a lot of debate regarding FF.

To my original point, HIllmann's methods have worked very well for me, particularly when we are playing the game. This is of course the backbone of his approach. I just was expecting to see more compliance outside of the game. Patience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

So how, other than praise (more or less useless) how are you making it fun for the dog to give you back that bumper? Are you going immediately into "the game" or throwing it again for him?

What you did by squatting was show him a visual signal that something good was going to happen, since you've been squatting and petting/playing with him. You also made yourself smaller and non-threatening. That's just information though, you have the behavior you want now... how are you reinforcing it?
    Darrin Greene

Place board.
    If You like Hillmann ..use a plastic bucket type thing .
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Plastic bucket type thing = bottom of an airline kennel

I was about halfway through a response when my computer went back a page so if this is posted twice I apologize

But I reward with petting and praise followed by another retrieve. Or instead of a retrieve I may give a treat or work right into another command. He is pretty locked in when playing the game. I have been able to also grab the bumper and his collar and then him into a sit / heel then work on hold. His hold is coming along much faster now that I have moved away from table work and instead using this method. I think it will come quick seeing that when playing the game I can call him to a sit heel with hand signals, whistle, or verbal commands very reliably. It was the bumper that seemed to be complicating things.