The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HRC membership requirement

Default HRC membership requirement

I want to vent about something.

I'm currently VP of my local Retriever Club and I was notified that I was REQUIRED to become a paying member of HRC if I was to be an officer in the Club. I find this erroneous. I don't run HRC. I don't participate in HRC in any way, shape, or form and don't really care to.

I don't mind being on the board for the club, but I think HRC's requirement is a bit of an overreach. Actually for a simple minded man like me, it's pure BS. The club already pays an annual "Charter Fee" to HRC. They need more money from the board?!

I guess I'll pay their tax and be done with it. Like I don't pay enough taxes already.
    Last edited by Kajun Kamakazi; 01-16-2017 at 03:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I don't think that is to big of a request.... whats the fee? $20?

I don't care if it's .20¢. It's not a request.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Have your club pay it. It is a HRC rule and if your club wants to run HRC test, you need to follow the rules. I don't necessarily like it either but not much difference then MN forcing clubs to belong so the dogs that come and run the test can qualify to run the master national. Shouldn't matter on the club level but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    Have your club pay it. It is a HRC rule and if your club wants to run HRC test, you need to follow the rules. I don't necessarily like it either but not much difference then MN forcing clubs to belong so the dogs that come and run the test can qualify to run the master national. Shouldn't matter on the club level but it does.
    I understand; we pay a charter fee to the Master National Club, but they don't require the club's officers to pay an individual fee also. Which is where my rub comes in.

I understand just a issue to force people to join. I understand if you want to judge but not as an individual club member. Same as charging extra entry fee if owner is not hrc member.

It has been a long time since our club was affiliated with HRC, but I'm guessing that this rule is intended to help assure that the club represents HRC correctly. Are club officers automatically on the Hunt Test Committee? NAHRA requires the Field Test Committee members belong to NAHRA (they don't have to be club officers) and they are the ones who have to deal with official complaints if they arise.

My impression of both AKC and HRC is that their central organizations are very heavy-handed in various different ways. Our club left HRC over what we felt was an abuse of the rules by their national officers. The Madison Avenue folks at AKC were very demanding with us about the club constitution and at times have been heavy-handed with the "inspectors" they send around.

Have the club pay your dues as a cost of doing business.

I guess I don't agree with Karen's interpretation. A modest fee to run your dog when you are not a member is to cover administrative costs and strikes me as reasonable.

AKC doesn't have membership fees, but certainly collects plenty of money in various ways.

NAHRA never had a good "business model" and struggles to survive financially.

Any way you figure it, it's not free.
    Last edited by Keith Stroyan; 01-16-2017 at 04:56 PM.

There was at least one dog a couple years ago that had a Grand pass taken away from it because the handler's HRC membership had lapsed. They're serious about it.
    Mark Ottis

In my mind it makes perfect sense. As a board member of a local HRC club you are eligible to represent the club at the annual national meeting. Therefore it is reasonable to expect those that could attend to be members of the organization. If it is an issue, have the club pay the dues which are less than the cost of 2 ducks.
    Mark Land

Its logical. You make decisions as an officer in the name of the group which represents the national group, so the officers should be members. No good deed goes unpunished! Part of celebrity. Skip McDonalds a couple of times in the name of the HRC. There may have been some lawyer poking his nose into the bylaws when they were written, too that may have played a role in the rule. It wouldn't shock me. My local Veterinary group is the same way. If you volunteer to be an officer of the local group, the state group makes sure you are a member of the state group. Maybe you could have the local group pay for the officer's membership?