Another lost retriever
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach

Thread: Another lost retriever

Default Another lost retriever

Got to duck camp Sunday afternoon. Been there about 1/2 hour when a truck pulled in and guy was asking if we had seen a black lab with black collar. Been missing for 36 hours. Our camp is near a very popular and usually crowded public hunting. Dog was last seen within 200 yards of the road, many camps within 1/2 mile.
    Consensus in camp is that the dog got after a cripple, raccoon, deer etc.and got disoriented.
    May have made it to the road, got picked up and stolen.
    May have wandered into the camps and same deal. This was the last weekend of the duck season. Just conswervation kight geese from now on, so the dog is probably gone for good.
    GPS tracking collar would have solved the problem.
    Several stories like this this season.
    MP
    The pain of regret is much worse than the pain of hard work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Even though I don't know why this dog was lost, it reminds me of a lesson I learned.

I have a rule of thumb. If my dog is out of sight, I am out of the blind and heading in the direction I last saw it. I learned it from a guide a few years ago. It's saved a few dogs from getting lost, hurt, or what ever else could happen.

We crippled a goose a few years ago. It floated out 300 yards over a hill. The guide's dog marked it, and the guide sent her. She disappeared over the hill. Guide got up and started to run up over the hill. I ran with him for the heck of it because she's a great retriever and I enjoy watching her smash geese. We got to the top of the hill in time to whistle sit her with a hard nick about 30 yards from a porcupine which probably saved her from bad times. Guide looked at me and said, "I always chase my dog, no matter what, when she's out of sight."

Lesson taught.
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    LAURELWOOD'S GOT GEESE ON THE RADAR BB
    CHESAGROVE'S RED SKY AT NIGHT
    CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS HRC
    FALL LINE RETRIEVER CLUB AKC

Thanks for a great reminder Chuck187. there is a tendency at times with a good dog to sometimes be a bit complacent, assuming that the dog will get it done and knows the drill. Like in a hunt test, anytime you don't have eyes on your dog, things can and will go wrong.
    Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

We chased FT bird dogs and beagles a lot. We lost a few. Two of them forever.

A coat with some food left right where you last saw them has worked a bunch of times. Long whistle blasts may help a dog that is in the area but turned around.

GPS collars or radio tracking collars are the best way.