Making holding blinds?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making holding blinds?

Default Making holding blinds?

Just wondered if anyone has made their own holding blinds? Im thinking I can get 10ft of camo fabric, sew some slots for stakes and come out a lot cheaper than buying some.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

We had a bunch made at a local tent and awning place. 4'x8' with sewing done for 3 stakes was $42. 4'x12' and 4 stakes was $63. Made the stakes out of 7/16" round rod. for the smaller ones came out to about $50 a blind. If you were only going to use them for holding blinds and not to retire behind or to hide a winger, the fabric would be much cheaper to just get green or brown or something.
    Last edited by Daren Galloway; 03-20-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    Daren Galloway

FTCH AFTCH HRCH Hank's Settin' The Marsh On Fire

I made one that was pretty inexpensive. I bought 4 pieces of 24" rebar for my stakes. 4 pieces of PVC (the height of your holding blind) sewn into your camo fabric. Pound the rebar in and slide the PVC pieces over it. Takes a couple extra minutes to pound in the stakes but it's cheap!

holding blind.jpg
    Last edited by Willie Alderson; 03-20-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QA2

"Molly" Alder Creeks Molybdenum QAA

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I made mine using electric fence posts as stakes. they have a spot to push it into the ground with your foot. attach the blind to the stakes with Velcro straps so its easy to setup and takedown. works well and cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Alderson View Post
    I made one that was pretty inexpensive. I bought 4 pieces of 24" rebar for my stakes. 4 pieces of PVC (the height of your holding blind) sewn into your camo fabric. Pound the rebar in and slide the PVC pieces over it. Takes a couple extra minutes to pound in the stakes but it's cheap!

holding blind.jpg
    I made something similar to this but I cut the hook off of four of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/VIGORO-48...15VG/205347021 for the stakes. That way you can just push them into the ground w/ your foot.

My holding blinds were designed and built several years ago....still using them.

Examine the following link for info which includes an up-to-date link to the fabric source. You can't beat the cost and/or the quality of their material (less than $3 per yard).

Kwick Holding Blinds (link)
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

I made mind. Takes 3 yds for each one. You can do with only 3 stakes if you want. Remember once you run the stakes thru the pockets, either screw or pop rivet the fabric to the top so poles will not come out. You can also sew a strip of Velcro on one side so you can roll them up and use Velcro to hold them together

Quote Originally Posted by coachjhall11 View Post
    Just wondered if anyone has made their own holding blinds? Im thinking I can get 10ft of camo fabric, sew some slots for stakes and come out a lot cheaper than buying some.
    You can't if you value quality.
    "Do more than is required of you"
    General George S. Patton

"You can't if you value quality."

To keep this in dog training lingo......My holding blind is better than your holding blind.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

Nah, some training equipment just can't be duplicated on the cheap without expending more effort,$ & time than buying with real $$. If it weren't the case, there wouldn't be a market for those products.
    "Do more than is required of you"
    General George S. Patton