Rattlesnake Vacine
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattlesnake Vacine

Default Rattlesnake Vacine

Moved to central New Mexico recently and wondered if I should get the Rattlesnake vaccine for my dog.
    Lady Hunter

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

The irrigation canal formaly known as the Rio Grande

Depends on your locale. Probably a good idea if you're in the area I think you are.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

from what my vet told me, unless you have one of very few dogs that is allergic, for $20, it can't hurt, and I was in a VERY low snake population area.
    Daren Galloway

FTCH AFTCH HRCH Hank's Settin' The Marsh On Fire

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Speak to your veterinarian, defiantely would not hurt, bites can still cause some tissue damage in vaccinated dogs, and duration of immunity is not certain. I have read about people in Texas teaching their dogs to avoid snakes. I would consider that as well.
    According to my quick research 25% of dogs vaccinated will start to decline immunity after 6 months. So in areas where rattle snakes are common year around 6 month boosters should be considered. Also it only protects against Western Diamondback(Crotalus atrox). Minimal cross protection against Northern Pacific (NP) rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus oreganus), and no protection for the Southern Pacific (SP) rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus helleri) venom.

So you need to be able to ID snakes and would be best if the dog just avoided rattlesnakes altogether. The vaccine does not let your dog just walk away untouched after a WD bite. They still will need treatment.

As with all vaccines, the incidence of vaccine related reactions increases with the number of vaccines given, so don't let the vet give "everything at once". I always spread my dogs vaccines out by at least a few weeks. Also I do not give heartworm, or any other drug the same day.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. The weather is warming up and instead of spring, we have 'rattlesnake season.' I have found them in my backyard hiding in shrubs, no more shrubs, slithering under the dog kennel floor, 'call the rattler wrangler.' The creepiest was a rattler curled up lying in wait next to the watering station for the Labradors. I chose not to have my dogs vaccinated. My retriever club has held a rattle snake avoidance sessions, and when I do come across one on our property, we'll dispatch it and hold a refresher course.

Check out this website: Red Rock Biologics. Plenty of information about the vaccine, types of snakes the vaccine will help against.

I had a dog bitten by a rattler many years ago. Her RS vaccination had just been updated within a few weeks or a month. I did not lose her-it was a huge snake and her leg swelled horribly.She was horribly sick and the skin did slough off of her leg. She made a full recovery, however; my vet said that without the vaccination, I'd have lost her. It was that bad. I'm definitely a proponant of the vaccine.! Can cause a reaction at vaccination site though- usually minor, ime. Had one dog ( a terrier, who hwas allergic to a lot of stuff), hers inflamed and abscessed each time. Finally I just stopped giving her the vaccine. Labs have had no major issues
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Thanks y'all. I still have to find a Vet in my new area. Will plan on getting the RS vaccine.
    Lady Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Speak to your veterinarian, defiantely would not hurt, bites can still cause some tissue damage in vaccinated dogs, and duration of immunity is not certain. I have read about people in Texas teaching their dogs to avoid snakes. I would consider that as well.
    According to my quick research 25% of dogs vaccinated will start to decline immunity after 6 months. So in areas where rattle snakes are common year around 6 month boosters should be considered. Also it only protects against Western Diamondback(Crotalus atrox). Minimal cross protection against Northern Pacific (NP) rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus oreganus), and no protection for the Southern Pacific (SP) rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus helleri) venom.

So you need to be able to ID snakes and would be best if the dog just avoided rattlesnakes altogether. The vaccine does not let your dog just walk away untouched after a WD bite. They still will need treatment.

As with all vaccines, the incidence of vaccine related reactions increases with the number of vaccines given, so don't let the vet give "everything at once". I always spread my dogs vaccines out by at least a few weeks. Also I do not give heartworm, or any other drug the same day.
    I do a desnaking clinic August and get the vaccine around then as well. I don't plan on doing the clinic annually forever, from my experience you just need a few years of it.

If you are in central NM, you probably have the western rattlesnake - what we always called them prairie rattlesnakes and I believe the great basin rattlesnake is the same species - I believe they have all been combined into one species these days. If you hunt south, you will get into western diamondbacks.

One of the pointing dog groups usually holds a desnaking clinic in Santa Fe in the summer. I don't have the contact but if you ask around someone might know. And there are an AKC and a UKC retriever club in Albuquerque and Los Alamos if you are interested. PM me if so. Or JDogger
    Last edited by dr_dog_guy; 03-15-2017 at 10:51 AM.
    Chuck

I lost my Prize English Setter over 25 years ago. She was in Texas less than 24 hours after moving from TN to Texas before she got struck in our backyard. It was terrible. I don't know much about the vaccine but if it helps prevent what my setter went through I would say do it.