Hiwood Piper - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hiwood Piper

Thank you Marvin. From the pics I've been able to find he looks like a big dog. My girl is a smaller, intense, fast and extremely athletic build. She hits the water 100 MPH lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    Rich,

You never know what you might learn when you ask a question on RTF. In fact, you might find the fellow who whelped, raised, and trained the sire of your girl for the first five years of his life. And you might also find the guy who whelped, raised, and trained his mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and great-grandfather!

I sent you a PM with my contact information in case you'd like some of that history.

Swack

P.S. My avatar is P.D., the sire of your pup!
    See, no such thing as a stupid question, unless you're the mainstream media, then it's questionable.
    Lol. True.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I can remember Piper doing a Water Blind in the NWRC Open at Doc Parker's farm & pond. All other dogs were swimming & Piper was
    moseying along with his wagging tail held high like he was on a stroll. I believe that the year he beat up the WC circuit. Most of Roy's
    dogs & I saw many of them were on the big lab side while exhibiting good conformation for that siz
    e.
    Roy always preferred a bigger dog, with a large head, he also wanted a good looking dog...being a rather tall gentleman he didn't want a small framed dog, nor an unattractive one next to him
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

And Piper Won the Canadian National in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotchocolate View Post
    And Piper Won the Canadian National in 1982.
    You have Hiwood Piper and Piper's Pacer confused. Hiwoood Piper would have been 12 in 1982. Piper's Pacer won both Canadian National Championship stakes as well as the US National Amateur Championship in 1982. That was my first National Amateur stake to compete in.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Roy always preferred a bigger dog, with a large head, he also wanted a good looking dog...being a rather tall gentleman he didn't want a small framed dog, nor an unattractive one next to him
    I've heard that as well. The Hiwood dogs I"ve seen come down from that lineage, very handsome and attractive. I had an AFC Hiwood Apache son (patch was a son of Clincher-). Very handsome large yellow male with the most gorgeous field dog head I've ever seen. He (Kick) was a tremendous marker. Most of my dogs now are all descendants of him. And I can say that some traits that HE himself had are still strong in these dogs now, that are two and three generations from him.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I watched a jag daughter (very nice looking and big for a bitch - 70lb I would guess) absolutley step on a flyer that had landed in 2.5 foot tall barley field. The mark wasnt long (75 yd) but had challenging factors (longish angle entry into the barley). This was after several birds had already been shot.

The few times I trained with Roy his dogs did great and were good natural lining dogs.. a trait he sought highly. (And lining was also trained for).

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I watched a jag daughter (very nice looking and big for a bitch - 70lb I would guess) absolutley step on a flyer that had landed in 2.5 foot tall barley field. The mark wasnt long (75 yd) but had challenging factors (longish angle entry into the barley). This was after several birds had already been shot.

The few times I trained with Roy his dogs did great and were good natural lining dogs.. a trait he sought highly. (And lining was also trained for).

Roy often told Clint "straight lines win field trials"...
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    How many people still living do you think would have seen or have personal knowledge of a dog born in 1970?
    Maybe the question is: How many can still remember? ;-0

Quote Originally Posted by Rich65 View Post
    Here is a copy of her pedigree. He's back there quite a ways what was he like? What are this lines best attributes? Her pedigree isn't the strongest (learning curve).

What are some of your best memories of things you saw him do whether in training or competition?

Rich

how much do you think a dog 6-7 generations back really plays in to your dog? how much alike are you to your relatives from the 1500's?