Duck & Goose Hunting ?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck & Goose Hunting ?

Default Duck & Goose Hunting ?

I have been looking at adjustable chokes and wonder if anyone had an opinion on them. I also would like suggestions on extra full chokes like Kicks High Flyer and others. Thanks for the input

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I stick a Briley LM (light modified) in my benelli and I just let em rust in cause I don't need anything else
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

I've heard some good things about the new adjustable chokes on the market. The real questions that need to be answered first are: what kind of hunting will you be doing? What kind of loads are you shooting? What kind of gun are you using.

For my money there aren't many aftermarket chokes out there that will improve my gun's performance enough to justify the expense...but most of my shots are within 30 yards, almost all are within 40 yards, and the only long shots I take are on snows or dinged birds.

Todd
    Youth is stolen by Wisdom

"Don't expect more from your dog than you are willing to put into working with him" Gene Hill in "The Dog Man"

"Experience is the mother of illusion" C.S. Lewis

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I shoot the Super Black Eagle 2. shoot a few doves and pheasant but 90 percent ducks and geese. I like Winchester Supreme BB all waterfowl hunting. I shoot alot of different situations. Small potholes to large lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladage
    I shoot the Super Black Eagle 2. shoot a few doves and pheasant but 90 percent ducks and geese. I like Winchester Supreme BB all waterfowl hunting. I shoot alot of different situations. Small potholes to large lakes.
    Thats why I've found the Light Modified to be a good 'all around' choke to handle all situations. I really like it
    May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

I have found that a Kick's mod patterns really well with Win. supremes in both 2 and BB, out of a Black Eagle.

Light Mod or Mod should work fine with any of the major manufacturers out there. The trouble is that some guns just don't pattern well with certain choke/shell/gun combos. If you buy the expensive ones you might get stuck with selling it on the classifieds. In theory the Tru-Glo adjustable eliminates this risk...dial it in and go.

On a side-note I've found the 1 oz. Expert 6's (yes, 6's) to be deadly out of a factory Mod. choke (Baikal) on shots under 30 yards. All those days of shooting fliers finally convinced me.

In the long run, with the exception of the super-full chokes for snows, there isn't any significant difference in the killing vs. crippling of ducks and geese shot at humane distances.

Todd
    Youth is stolen by Wisdom

"Don't expect more from your dog than you are willing to put into working with him" Gene Hill in "The Dog Man"

"Experience is the mother of illusion" C.S. Lewis

Does the Kicks choke tubes pull more pellets into that 30 inch circle than the factory chokes sold with the gun?

"PATTERNMASTER" "PATTERNMASTER" MONEY BACK REFUND IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED. EXTENDED LENGTH AND DECOY MODEL, AND YES THEY WILL OUTPREFORM ANY FACTORY CHOKE MADE. GO TO THIER WEBSITE AND SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO OFFER.

If you are shooting ducks the right way (in range), then any improved cylinder/modified choke will work fine.