Duck & Goose Hunting ? - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck & Goose Hunting ?

Shot a Patternmaster for a long time and had good results with it. A friend turned me onto Terror Tubes a couple seasons ago and they are an awesome tube.

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

I shoot ducks over decoys and as I said I'm looking to tighten up the pattern and get as many pellets in the 30 inch circle as possible. As you all know 3 1/2 inch BB only have 100 pellets. Full choke, mod, or improved cyl I want good paterns. I have paterned Improved and mod at 30 yards I would like to tighten them up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladage
    I shoot ducks over decoys and as I said I'm looking to tighten up the pattern and get as many pellets in the 30 inch circle as possible. As you all know 3 1/2 inch BB only have 100 pellets. Full choke, mod, or improved cyl I want good paterns. I have paterned Improved and mod at 30 yards I would like to tighten them up a bit.
    What kind of monster size ducks are you shooting? I think the reason your looking for choke tubes is because your shooting shot bigger than needed. We shoot 4's and 6's out here with improved and modified chokes pretty successfully. Course sky and bustin are two words at our duckclub...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

This is going to sound crazy, but we all shoot factory straight cyliner bore in our Benelli SBE's. We all shoot 3.5 in shells. Some shoot Win Supreme BB's. Some shoot Fed Premium BB's. I shoot Kent faststeele #1's. We patterned them at 40 yards and the patterns were awesome. I am not telling you to take my word for it. Go out and try it yourself. Since we figured this out, all of my buddies have quite using their patternmasters. I seems like the looser the choke the better steele shot likes it. Like I said, try it and see what happens.
    The more I am around people, the more I cherish the company of dogs and cattle.

I have been duck hunting for 13 years now and a buddy of mine turned me onto BB's a couple years ago. Alot less cripples and alot more dead ducks hit the water.

Ladage is correct-Can't say I've ever crippled a duck with BB's. Though the only times I have bought BBs is when it is too late to go anywhere but WalMart OR when diver hunting.

Spend $10. Buy and read: "Shotgunning: The Art and Science" by the late great (local boy), Bob Brister. More in there about chokes, loads, patterns and shooting than you'll ever need to know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0832...06#reader-link

Quote Originally Posted by Ladage
    Pattern Master
    These are field trials and the people involved largely don't understand a normal day much less a "normal days hunt".

I shoot 3s at ducks and BBB at geese....IMP and MOD chokes...they are just simple stock chokes that came with the gun(s)....I don’t use the glow in the dark stuff or any of the Gucci camo....ducks and geese don’t seem to mind.
    Kills most the ducks and geese but my dogs really enjoy the occasional cripple.

But if that isn’t good float your boat I heard somewhere “Pattern Master” makes a good choke for C note and it is guaranteed…to do what I am not sure... but it is guaranteed...that is what I heard somewhere.

Senior Member Travis R. Bullock's Avatar

Another vote for Patternmaster!

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock
    Train Hard - Hunt Hard - Play Hard
    www.nodakdesign.com