Training Group Evolution
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Group Evolution

Default Training Group Evolution

Was thinking over the weekend , during a AKC hunt test, how the group I started with has evolved. Some have joined other groups, some have developed other hobbies. I responded here on the forum requesting to join a group, myself having nothing to offer not even a junior pass. As the years have rolled by I seen the progression from both dog and handler as basket cases to a true team at a high level. I was wondering how often your training group has changed, and how many go from start to Master level? We were talking about how many hours it takes to put a master title on your dog with testing and training. I think you have to love the sport and the dog, your joy has to come from seeing the partnership develop , random ramblings from a midweek afternoon .Your thoughts?
    Nothing Bad happens to pup on my watch

Steve Talbot

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Retriever trainers are a special kind of crazy...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker QA2 - Bullet (11/22/2003 - 03/05/2016)
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It QA2 - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies QA2 - Riot
    FOM's Fugitive From Justice - Bandit
    CH FOM's Number One Small Caliber Bullet of CTC CA - "Ichi the Cairn Terrorist"

It boils down to ,"How bad do I want it" and getting that good hoss....Jim
    Jim Weitzel

The "right decision"to a retriever is generally that decision which feels good or is the most convenient.So its the trainers job to teach the dog that what feels good is that which pleases the trainer.

Cotton Pershall

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Training groups are tricky , the dynamics are huge.

I have tranisioned out off and into several groups over the last few years, I have taken a tremendous amount of knowledge from each group and or individuals that I have trained with during these transitons and I will be forever greatful.

I find it beneficial to both the group and handler to find a group that best fits the handler and the dogs skill set. If one trains with a group of similiar skill sets the amount of trainnig that can be accomplished in a day can be huge, on the other hand if the skill sets of either dogs are handlers within the group is unduly lopsided this can be incredibly fruastrating.

I would also add that the dog world is a small world so when entering or existing a group diplomacy is everyting you'll most likely encounter these same individuals down the road at some point.
    How The West was Won ( Colt) QA2
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief QA2 ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Working's Symphony of Addictions QA2
    Addicted to the Migration ( Goose) SH (My wifes dog)
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

I sure understand your comment regarding the level of training and what you can take out of it.
    Sometimes my training group is small and we cover a lot of concepts in a session , I have been with larger groups where not so much ....

And I agree when being invited or the choice to move on ,it is important to have diplomacy, were all in a very small circle.

Doesn't hurt to keep as many doors open as you can, different training grounds can help advance your goals.

Steve Talbot

There is nothing better than the perfect training group, unfortunately if you are even lucky enough to be part of one, they don't last long. Back in the early 2000's it all came together for me. First I had two good dogs.

Now for the group, Jim was our leader, he's very knowledgeable dog guy, good leader and motivated not just for his two wonderful dogs, but he understood we all had to get something about it for us to stay motivated. Next you need the right number of guys or gals, too many dogs and it's not workable in the short hours after work, too few and it's awkward setting up a triple for example, five guys; 6-8 dogs is about right. Everybody needs to buy in, by purchasing all necessary training gear. Need to be on time. Need to understand that time is important, so think before you repeat every mark for both of your dogs. The best training partners, consider the group their home team and root for their teammates success.

We had all that for quite a few years, but over time people die, dogs die, people move or get out of the game. What we had was Camelot for a few short years it was grand.

John great summary of what it can be like, I ,we. Have experienced this tight group and feel rewarded for it.
    You are so correct in pulling for the training group for success.
    Thanks for your input I hope you find that group again..

Steve Talbot

I used to train with 2 guys regularly. We had 6 to 8 dogs usually. We all lived about an hour apart but would meet somewhere almost every Saturday and one of them and I trained together during the week as well. After a few years one moved and stopped training and the other one just got away from dogs. I on the other had have still been training for several years by myself. Life has changed for me with 3 kids and other activities but I still work with dogs almost everyday. My current personal dog turned 3 in November and has never trained with another person. She completed her HRCH and MH before she turned 3. I'm planning on her winning her first Q this weekend. I miss training with others just don't have any close to me and my schedule is hectic so training happens when I want it to and can fit it in.
    Three D Retrievers

Default Training Group

Quote Originally Posted by Sophie Gundog View Post
    Was thinking over the weekend , during a AKC hunt test, how the group I started with has evolved. Some have joined other groups, some have developed other hobbies. I responded here on the forum requesting to join a group, myself having nothing to offer not even a junior pass. As the years have rolled by I seen the progression from both dog and handler as basket cases to a true team at a high level. I was wondering how often your training group has changed, and how many go from start to Master level? We were talking about how many hours it takes to put a master title on your dog with testing and training. I think you have to love the sport and the dog, your joy has to come from seeing the partnership develop , random ramblings from a midweek afternoon .Your thoughts?
    I live in southern Utah, and there is no training group, I do wish there was one. I have the property just no one close. Water is probably the problem do to not being able to shoot blanks, the summer the mountains near me come alive, and you can shoot blanks.

Good training groups take flexibility. Sometimes you get stuck with me as a bad example to start off with . Steve see what happens when you stick with it. Hey John, if ya'll need someone to throw and gun let me know. I am still working Beanie and will be running when Patti gets up here.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package 5-2002-6-22-2017 RIP
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Cold Juice *** 1-17-2012 12-3-2018 RIP
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy
    Mission Valley Hoping for a Repeat
    Franklin's 29 Degrees True North