What's the worst weather you've ever experienced at a HT (or FT)?
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the worst weather you've ever experienced at a HT (or FT)?

Default What's the worst weather you've ever experienced at a HT (or FT)?

Apparently an absolutely water logged front will be hitting N. NV and N. CA going in to this weekend. There's no guarantee that I-80 will stay open when we're trying to get there (Corning, CA). Assuming we do... it's supposed to be raining buckets and have high winds.

Only thing worse than running in that weather will be putting on and judging the HT.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

It funny that you are mentioning that about Corning, because that is where I experienced the worst weather I've seen at a hunt test, back in 2010. It poured non-stop, and was intermittently blowing sideways. Everyone was running their dogs, and then scooting back to the trucks as fast as they could. And on top of that, I think there were actually more than 60 dogs in Master (I know, because I was #62). I live in Oregon and the wettest hunt test I've been to was in California. Go figure.

During the third series, by the time they got to #62, everyone had had it. It was a triple on the water (of course, everything was "water" by then, including the judges and the handlers). First bird goes down, second bird goes down, and the third bird was a hand throw, and it came out of the bird boys hand like a bowling ball. As I'm standing on the line, I hear whispering behind me, then the judge steps up and says, "we saw the throw, pick them up any way you can and let's get out of here.". He got a quick whistle when he overran that mark, and we picked them all up for the pass (and his Master title).

Crazy thing is, they had a hunt test at Corning this past weekend, and it was 70 degrees and sunny (although a bit breezy).
    Ron Rhodes
    www.portlandlabrador.com
    A Lab has no appreciation for the artistic value of a bonsai tree, but does appreciate their potential as chew toys.

I think it was Fallon NV one time that had 90degrees, then wind-storm-sand, then rain, then flood, then finished the afternoon off with hail-snow, Half the field couldn't get there as snow closed down a major passes Reno-Tahoo. Then back to 90 with humidity the next day. I would still rather that than dust winds in Niland CA, Fallon is prettier .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-04-2017 at 05:14 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"; "I train dogs, Not papers"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned; early or late it still needs to be learned"

GMHR HRCH Lakota MH (Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Storm MH (Upland/ Waterfowl Enthusiast)
    HR Banshi (problem child #3) - HR Trap (male-chocolate he's "special")

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to running tests or trials at Portage Alaska. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Portland View Post
    It funny that you are mentioning that about Corning, because that is where I experienced the worst weather I've seen at a hunt test, back in 2010. It poured non-stop, and was intermittently blowing sideways. Everyone was running their dogs, and then scooting back to the trucks as fast as they could. And on top of that, I think there were actually more than 60 dogs in Master (I know, because I was #62). I live in Oregon and the wettest hunt test I've been to was in California. Go figure.

During the third series, by the time they got to #62, everyone had had it. It was a triple on the water (of course, everything was "water" by then, including the judges and the handlers). First bird goes down, second bird goes down, and the third bird was a hand throw, and it came out of the bird boys hand like a bowling ball. As I'm standing on the line, I hear whispering behind me, then the judge steps up and says, "we saw the throw, pick them up any way you can and let's get out of here.". He got a quick whistle when he overran that mark, and we picked them all up for the pass (and his Master title).

Crazy thing is, they had a hunt test at Corning this past weekend, and it was 70 degrees and sunny (although a bit breezy).
    I remember that test! I titled MH there too that weekend. It was miserable indeed.... This weekend was miserable too-in a different way. The wind was cranking and it was actually 80 degrees- not what our Northern Cali dogs were used to ! But all in all , a good weekend,and better than torrential down pours.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

2 different HTs in Colorado - 1 east of Colo Spgs and one out near Orchard. Tornados within 10 miles when tests were called to evacuate folks.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade QA2 "Cannon" 2015 Derby list, Qual winner before age 2

Kevinismybrother reminded me of one. I tell this story as a lesson to HT / FT committee persons:

I was chairing a HT years ago in central TX. The weather forecast was calling for severe thunderstorms mid Sunday morning. We had 7 stakes running that day. I warned every stake marshal to be prepared to shut their tests down and take shelter once it hit. HT HQ was on the far north side of the property, we would see the storm coming and be hit first. Sure enough, about 1100, it came roaring in. I radioed every marshal to shut their stakes down. It was fast moving and would be gone in an hour. Sideways rain, lightening, high winds, and the temp dropped about 30 degrees. After it was over, here came the adult leader of my bird boys and girls, inner city youth kids we had been using for years. I heard him tell his wife who was tending their trailer and helping make lunches: "Gather all the kids, we're out of here". The he came straight to me. "I can't believe you left my kids out there with no rain gear, no protection, no cover, while adults were hiding in their cars. Now I've got to take these wet cold kids back to their mamas and explain why they're sick and will probably miss school next week". One set of Sr judges had kept running, despite instructions from the stake marshal.

Lesson: You are the AKC at these events. These were peoples' kids (14+) who had been doing us a service for a very fair price. Despite my apologies, they never agreed to work for us again. The committee has the responsibility to conduct these tests with all the authority of the AKC. You can't overrule the judges when it comes to judging, but you sure as hell can do whatever is necessary to conduct a fair, safe event. I should have verified with every marshal that they had shut down. The marshal should not have taken "no" for an answer from these "come hell or high water" idiot judges, or else should have called me to deal with them. I could have dismissed and replaced them on the spot if necessary.

We had fallen tree limbs, overturned porta potties, blown tents, stuck cars, etc. We were fortunate that no one was hurt. We didn't do our jobs that day.

I DO remember that HT at Fallon. If I'm recalling accurately, the judges were expected to arrive on Tuesday, but they had over 100 mph winds across the runways at Reno-Tahoe Airport. So they got in Wed, less than 24 hours prior to the HT kicking off. I was running Senior and the wind was blowing the sleet sideways into our faces. We failed and I went home that day.

Gosh, I'd repressed that one.

Back in the 80's we were running a Qual in Western PA (Erie County) and that yellow green humid heavy air came up and hail was starting. Naturally they picked up and ran. There were emergency vehicles balling the jack down the highway in the opposite direction from our hotel. The next day we found out one of the club officers had a call from his teenaged kids saying the house had fallen in on them but they'd gotten in the cellar in time. The house was a total loss.

Made everyone reflect on how much emphasis we put on our dog games when we need to stop and think about what matters most.

I just don't know if I want to try going over the Sierras Friday.

Lightning is a rather rare occurrence in N. NV. But that's the prediction for Sat. in Corning. I suppose they put a hold on things if it is near enough to be a threat?

I recall running a water test in a flat-out downpour. Title run for an HRCH, nonetheless.