What's the worst weather you've ever experienced at a HT (or FT)? - Page 3
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the worst weather you've ever experienced at a HT (or FT)?

My toughest experience probably doesn't even make the Top 10 list of the more seasoned dog people. Last June at the Tulsa Retriever HT Saturday morning 60 dog master. I'm test dog. Everything is set-up at 7:30, but clouds start to appear darker about 8. They call for test dog. Land Triple with a double blin w/ honor. Stoney picks up triple, runs first blind and we start to run the 2nd when a sprinkle starts. Total time took maybe 5 minutes to run test. Judge goes "any questions?, ok dog to the line". Wind picks up rain starts pouring as I'm on the honor. Dog #1 runs the test, but by the time its done and bird techs come in everyone is soaked. We got probably 2-2 1/2 inches of rain in the next hour and the land triple becomes land/water combo series as we were running over some terraces. Terraces were holding 18-24 inches of water. If a smaller dog hit it in just the right spot it would actually have to swim. Re-birding required waders or hip boots. Rest of the weather was fine for the weekend but soaked and water logged all the birds before any were thrown. Couldn't really dry them off all weekend.
    4xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

https://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Glynn Matthews View Post
    Labor Day Trial for Central New York 1998, I finished Judging a Minor stake with Ed Haskins and they needed a big throw for the water marks in open Lew Weller and Tom Hawley judging. I was the long retired mark standing in the water throwing the retired across a grass island. Live gunners were on another island and the third was thrown from the shore. Was a very big test and dogs were having huge issues with my bird and the flyer from the island. Part way thru the test the sky went almost black and the wind started to pick up so much so that waves white capped and were over my head(I'm 6 ft) when the first lightning bolt hit the flyer shooters went in without me and I had to make my way to shore some walking but mostly swimming. Then the wind hit with such force, weather service claims it was a F2 tornado. Later wind measured at 115 mph by weather service and it hit the whole area hard killing three at the state fair down the road. Had to finish the trial the next day and I had already given up my room but my new friend Hawley let me stay with him. Made a life long friend with Tom after this one but it was the hairiest thing that I have ever experienced.
    Glynn
    you have a funny way of making friends . . .
    4xGMPR HRCH UH Blackjack's Gen. Stonewall Jackson MH - at stud

https://www.retrievertraining.net/for...MH-Yellow-Male

Originally Posted by FOM "you're welcome....unicorns, skittles and rainbow farts...."

HuntEm'Up - If it was a Memorial Day weekend, we were there! We lived in CA for 35 yrs. and that was worst weather I can ever recall at a field trial! Even worse than the time Grizzly Island was flooding as we drove off after a field trial.
    "I think it was Fallon NV one time that had 90degrees, then wind-storm-sand, then rain, then flood, then finished the afternoon off with hail-snow, Half the field couldn't get there as snow closed down a major passes Reno-Tahoo. Then back to 90 with humidity the next day. I would still rather that than dust winds in Niland CA, Fallon is prettier ."

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Puwal View Post
    HuntEm'Up - If it was a Memorial Day weekend, we were there! We lived in CA for 35 yrs. and that was worst weather I can ever recall at a field trial! Even worse than the time Grizzly Island was flooding as we drove off after a field trial.
    "I think it was Fallon NV one time that had 90degrees, then wind-storm-sand, then rain, then flood, then finished the afternoon off with hail-snow, Half the field couldn't get there as snow closed down a major passes Reno-Tahoo. Then back to 90 with humidity the next day. I would still rather that than dust winds in Niland CA, Fallon is prettier ."
    Yep... welcome to Nevada! I think every year we think maybe we could work with AKC to get a later date (if we've frozen our butts off) or an earlier date (if we've had to worry about heat prostration). But since it's Nevada, we have to play the best odds, and that weekend is it.
    Magister venator aliquando si deus vult

AMERICAN CHESSIE TEST at Cooper Black on March 14th. See Photo...ACC TEST.jpg
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    LAURELWOOD'S GOT GEESE ON THE RADAR BB
    CHESAGROVE'S RED SKY AT NIGHT
    CHEROKEE FOOTHILLS HRC
    FALL LINE RETRIEVER CLUB AKC

90 degrees/90 percent humidity
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    APR HRCH Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR HR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose
    CPR HR Lone Tree's Pocket Full of Change

The Tulsa Spring Field Trial used to be held the end of Feb./First of March. On Friday we were wearing shorts and t-shirts working the Qual & Open. On Saturday and Sunday it was snowing sideways so hard you could barely see your dog to run a blind. Truly miserable.
    Official Launcher of the 2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009 & 2010 HRC Fall & Spring Grand!

Lassen RC test at the Anderson properties in mid 90's. rain coming down by the buckets and heavy winds, thankfully just running my dog. Had 6 no birds as gunners could not get the birds to land in the right place; either over a fence or into a a bunch of berry bushes or flyaway. Back when we were still using pigeons on land, except there was no land, just mud.

mid 2000s:

Grupe ranch S pond. This time judging but same thing heavy rain and winds. No way to keep the books dry and we tried all the different methods. Judging books turn to pulp very quickly and pencils on pulp made everything worse. Finally resorted to a chunk of cardboard and a crayon someone had. There was no scoring that day, just pass/fail.

Secretary for the Chessie Club test in July. Weather reports said temps were well over 100, Hot temperature and short tempers. Half the bird boys didn't return for Sunday. Worst test of my life. Finally succumbed to heat stroke.

Sauvie Island memorial day test. weather wasn't bad that weekend but the island had flooded just prior. The water series was a technical pond that was littered with dead fish. Test was a series of re-entries. After the second or third re-entry, dogs started bringing back the dead fish.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

several years ago I judged at music city they had a lot of rain before the test the day of the test it rained some but not much about 2 hours into the test one of the club members came and told us the water was coming up fast and suggested we keep a eye on it and left us a lifted dodge pick up to get out my co judge and I ignored it. after the test was over we tore down the test and went to the truck and discovered we were on a island. we drove where we thought the road was I'm glad it was lifted as we pushed water all the way out. we had to change our next days test to another place

Triple D/Q in South Louisiana with 40-50+ dogs in each stake! Non-stop rain for three days and temps in the 30's. Good Times!