What if hunt tests really did match typical hunting ???
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Retriever Coach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if hunt tests really did match typical hunting ???

Default What if hunt tests really did match typical hunting ???

All of the discussion about hunt tests changing and not matching "real" hunting situations got me thinking - what if hunt test where really like hunting ???

Mine would look something like this

50% of the tests
    -walk to the line and put dog at sit
    -search 3 blind bags looking for a duck call and whistle, then realize whistle is still at home
    -walk out and move decoys on the left over to the right, then move decoys on the right over to the left
    - sit on bucket for an hour
    - blow duck call for 5 min then announce loudly "ducks just are not responding to a call at the moment"
    - sit on bucket another 20 minutes
    - blow duck call another 5 minutes and pick up gun just as someone in the gallery starts shooting at a sinking decoy in the parking lot
    - put gun down and announce loudly "these young kids just have no hunting ethics anymore"
    - sit on bucket another 30 minutes
    - walk out and move decoys in the front to the back and decoys in the back to the front
    - sit on bucket another 15 minutes and announce loudly "the ducks just are not flying today"
    - spend 15 minutes looking for everything that you dumped out of blind bag while looking for the duck call and put it back in the blind bag
    - tell dog to heel and walk back to truck

40% of the tests
    - walk to the line and put dog at sit
    - have hunting buddy sit on bucket next to you
    - sit on bucket for 20 minutes
    - blow duck call for 2 minutes
    - release 3 live flyers
    - you and hunting buddy fire 3 shots each and 1 duck falls dead 35 yards out
    - send dog
    - when dog returns with bird, hunting buddy announces "are you not going to send the dog to get the bird I dumped in that ditch 50 yards behind us ?"
    - spend 20 minutes handling dog in ditch 50 yards behind bucket as hunting buddy gives vague directions
    - call dog back in without a bird
    - sit on bucket for an hour
    - release live flyer 60 yards away
    - hunting buddy fires 3 shots and manages to hit a wing with 1 pellet, so the bird sails another 75 yards out into the field
    - send dog
    - watch dog chase swimming/diving cripple for 30 minutes before bird flies away
    - call dog back to the bucket
    - sit on bucket another 15 minutes and announce loudly "the ducks just are not flying today"

10% of the tests (and these are the ones that keep me going as much as possible)
    - walk to the line and put dog at sit on a dog stand while standing in waist deep water next to a tree with hunting buddy next to adjacent tree
    - blow duck call for 30 seconds
    - release 40 live fliers 5 yards away
    - you and hunting buddy open fire
    - bird falls in water 3 yards in front of dog and is flapping wings and spinning in circles (this is where my nice dog fails the test for line manners every time)
    - 4 more birds fall from 10-20 yards away
    - take first bird that caused them to break from dog (don't fool yourself, if your dog doesn't have enough drive to break on that bird, you probably should have left that silver labradoodle at home on the couch)
    - pick-up quad that is on the water
    - blow duck call for 2 minutes
    - release 10 live flyers
    - you and hunting buddy fire 3 shots each and 3 ducks fall dead 25 yards out (2 of which are laying side-by side, so the dog will need to return to an old fall)
    - send dog and pickup triple
    - when dog returns with birds, loudly announce "my new $125 duck call is really working on them this morning"
    - spend 20 minutes walking circles in the gallery so that everyone can see all your birds

In the end they are still just dogs, and if you don't enjoy it don't waste your time and money doing it, find something you enjoy and do that (you could always come over to my house and watch my 16 year old honor student walk smack into the sliding glass patio door about 3 times a day, which is what I do for entertainment when I cant enjoy time with the dogs)

2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Sorry, but I take hunting seriously (testing, too) and started to loose interest after.....

"blow duck call for 5 min then announce loudly "ducks just are not responding to a call at the moment"

I have a feeling that you thought this was clever and funny at the time.....let me know if you think the same after
    reading it again in the morning.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 04-06-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    Jim Boyer KwickLabsii.com

Must have touched a nerve.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: 2017-2018 Season Log

5. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kevinj View Post
    .... - what if hunt test where really like hunting ???)
    I would be given a ribbon for best snacks in the blind

after2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I would be given a ribbon for best snacks in the blind

after2.jpg
    I get first dibs to go hunting with you.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This QA2
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg NDL, QA2
    This Beer Is Making Me Awesome

All of the discussion about hunt tests changing and not matching "real" hunting situations got me thinking - what if hunt test where really like hunting ???

In the end they are still just dogs, and if you don't enjoy it don't waste your time and money doing it, find something you enjoy and do that (you could always come over to my house and watch my 16 year old honor student walk smack into the sliding glass patio door about 3 times a day, which is what I do for entertainment when I cant enjoy time with the dogs)

Best thing I have read in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by bjoiner View Post
    I get first dibs to go hunting with you.
    I get 2nd......Damn, looks good.Jim
    Jim Weitzel

The "right decision"to a retriever is generally that decision which feels good or is the most convenient.So its the trainers job to teach the dog that what feels good is that which pleases the trainer.

Cotton Pershall

Watching the boat ramp from the bar after fishing is more fun than fishing itself.
    Darrin Greene

That was good entertainment for this morning. That was a "familiar" air to it, just cannot put my finger on why?? LOL
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Clarksville, OH

You couldn't run a hunt test that literally mimics hunting, I mean you COULD obviously but a lot of the factors they judge would be out the window. Bye bye honoring, walking at heel to the line, E collar would be allowed, GPS collar etc. I'd be eating breakfast, petting my dog, maybe throwing a bumper to keep him excited/happy, blowing a duck call, talking to my dog, letting him lay down...

I just went to my first hunt test BTW with the pro who was training my pup and I thought it was awesome. I think it's an awesome test...especially at the senior/master level from my first time seeing it opinion. Junior hunt seemed more of a dog is ready to hunt now if you pass and senior/master was for really testing steadiness, casting and obedience. So just my 2 cents from the new guy...I saw nothing wrong with how a hunt test is run in it's current form.

One thing I did notice thought and I think its interesting...the field trial dogs that were running in the hunt test always overran their bird. Kinda made me think if doing a 200 yard mark is even useful at any level if your NOT doing field trials. When in a hunt test or hunting would my dog get a 200 yard bird...at least for where I hunt.